Sifu vs Vampire (2014) Yuen Biao

FrankBolte

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks really 80's. Not entirely sure that I'm sold on it yet but hopefully it'll be a fun watch.

Are we officially seeing the return of Jiangshi films?

That looks hilarious in my opinion. Man, it's nice to see Yuen Biao on the big screen again. I'm hoping we'll get some good action and with Wong Jing producing, I'd imagine it's really funny. Thanks for posting, but I probably won't watch it. I don't care about this movie enough to buy an import because this probably won't get released here in the U.S. Looks like a fun watch though.

Nice to see Yuen Biao again in something new. This movie looks like it could go either way. It might be a really good film with some funny stuff or crap. I will try to check this out if it is ever released in the States. Doesn't look like a purchase though. I still have Mr Vampire and that is good enough for me for this type of movie. Wonder if it will be a remake?

Here's a review of the movie by one of my favorite reviewers, Sean Tierney of The Silver Spleen:

Sg9qpIqUSN4

One Armed Boxer
Here's a review of the movie by one of my favorite reviewers, Sean Tierney of The Silver Spleen

Nice review, but it's a shame that apart from saying Yuen Biao is in it, he doesn't mention anything about how much he's in it or if he gets any kung-fu vs. vampire action, which I'd imagine is what everyone that see's his name attached to this was wanting to know.

• Administrator
Nice review, but it's a shame that apart from saying Yuen Biao is in it, he doesn't mention anything about how much he's in it or if he gets any kung-fu vs. vampire action, which I'd imagine is what everyone that see's his name attached to this was wanting to know.

That's what I want to know. :squigglemouth:

I watched the review. That was my first time seeing Sean Tierney or The Silver Spleen. Thanks for the intro Ken.

• Administrator
Me three, guys.

I got the impression that it's more some cool movements, ala MR. VAMPIRE, than straight up kung fu. But that's simply what I gleaned from the review. I'll want to get it once it's released anyway as it's Yuen Biao and gyonsi. :nerd:

Call me harsh but Luxia Jiang does not look like a "Kitty." Oh and I doubt Yuen Biao has a lot of action scenes. It seems as though that would be mentioned in the review.

Thanks for the link OAB, enlightening review. Guess I'll stay away from this, seems that these days more than one Wong Jing joint per annum exhausts my tolerance (and I've watched FROM VEGAS TO MACAO 2 earlier this year, so I met my quota!).

Still I do have some patience with Daniel Chan's efforts. Granted, his Y & D reboot was a pretty lacklustre one (made worse through a shoddy HK DVD presentation!), but I thought TRIAD was definitely worth watching, especially when you have a deeper inestment with HK crime cinema, its darker moods, storytelling rhythms, location shootings and character actors. To re-post my review from the summer of 2013 here...

TRIAD (2012)

Director Daniel Chan’s attempt to reboot familiar HK mobster tropes hasn’t generated more than a lukewarm critical response, but I found it to be quite a passable, stylishly shot crime thriller, albeit a very predictable one. Plenty of bloody action here, mostly of the cleaver slashing street and bar brawl variety, but its all choreographed a tad too unimaginatively. Still, despite the average action sequences, several trite Cantopop (or rather Cantorock) montage sequences and the familiarity of the whole narrative arc the final resolution is a cool and pretty unexpected one. TRIAD’s rookie cast (William Chan, Derek Tsang and Edward Tsui, son of Shaw Brothers regular Norman Tsui) couldn’t be called charismatic by any stretch of the imagination, but vets like Chan Wai Man, Patrick Tam and Irene Wan were a joy to watch. Its also worth stating that this is a HK film through & through, shot with an all-HK cast mainly around Yau Ma Tai, Jordan, Portland and Temple Street and certainly one that doesn’t look like its pandering to Mainland sensitivities.

HK Emperor BD looks great and comes with a short but thankfully subbed “Making Of” feature.

Archived