Sammo Hung – The Bodyguard (2015)

Keung

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Thank you DiP for posting that. Nice to see new Sammo on his Birthday. 

That looks a bit good. Nice choreo, obviously it's difficult to tell from such short glimpses, but it looks almost more like MMA, albeit with Sammo's signature flair. Either way, when this eventually reaches the UK it'll go to the top of my watch list!

4 hours ago, SamSeed said:

That looks a bit good. Nice choreo, obviously it's difficult to tell from such short glimpses, but it looks almost more like MMA, albeit with Sammo's signature flair. Either way, when this eventually reaches the UK it'll go to the top of my watch list!

We might get this by Christmas 2017 if were lucky SamSeed.

I'm looking forward to seeing this one after watching the trailer. Judging by the brief clips the fights don't appear to be CGI/Wire heavy.

I quite liked this, Sammo's version of Man on Fire. He delivers a really affecting performance, it's not wall to wall fights but what there is, is pretty damn good. Andy Lau as a shiftless loser was an interesting change of pace. 

4 hours ago, SamSeed said:

Will this ever get a UK release?

I joked earlier in the thread that we ight get this by Christmas 2017.

Well thats not too far off now, and the film still remains unreleased in the U.K.

2 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

I joked earlier in the thread that we ight get this by Christmas 2017.

Well thats not too far off now, and the film still remains unreleased in the U.K.

I'm just amazed considering the talent involved, not least Sammo himself, there has got to be a market for it!

55 minutes ago, SamSeed said:

I'm just amazed considering the talent involved, not least Sammo himself, there has got to be a market for it

There is a market for it still, sadly it's not entirely a paying market. You got all these different formats to choose from DVD, Blu-Ray, On Demand/Digital Services, yet there's no U.K release on any of those. The effect on the market by illigal downloads, is really being felt now. The there's the flip-side, the film doesnt even get a legit release, so fans go for a non paying option.

We live in age where we can watch fims just about anywhere, on various tech, yet we cant get a movie released worldwide in roughly the same time period.

Was surprised to stumble across this on UK Netflix. Now I could say I watched it objectively and judged it on its own merits but OF COURSE I didn't, it's a Sammo Hung film! I liked it a lot. Once I settled into the slower pace, it meant that when the action eventually hit, boy, it hits! The stairwell escape was very impressive, but nothing gave me more pleasure than when the goons first confront Sammo and threaten the girl, the build-up to bad ass Sammo sent chills down my spine and despite the fight being brief, seeing him in action again is the best thing I've seen for ages. And then there's the end fight. I cannot compare it to classic Sammo fights, that would be unfair. But. I had the biggest grin on my face the whole way through, if this is to be his last hurrah in action films, then it's a fine one, and seeing Sammo being Tony Jaa like with the bone breaking really added a lot of impact. What more can I say? The film itself is fine, but seeing Sammo fight again is everything I expected it to be and more. Anybody else see it for the first time on Netflix?

I watched this tonight, too. It was surprisingly vicious, whenever the action did happen. Limbs are snapped, people are chopped and hacked, and blood spurts everywhere. It's kind of ironic: Steven Seagal's girth has reached Sammo's level, but when Sammo does the lock-heavy, take down-based, bone-crunching fight thing, he sells it 100% better than Seagal does. That final fight was the thing that dreams are made of--too bad The Brink didn't strive for that. I didn't mind the slower story, although the finale was something of a downer. It was great to see so many Seven Fortunes in cameo appearances: Yuen Wah as the mailman, Yuen Ting (Ng Ming-Tsui) as a gang boss, Yuen Biao as a police captain, etc. I'm not sure if this will go down as one of the classics, but it was good for what it was.

15 hours ago, DrNgor said:

Steven Seagal's girth has reached Sammo's level, but when Sammo does the lock-heavy, take down-based, bone-crunching fight thing, he sells it 100% better than Seagal does.

I think this is down to Sammo Hung being in a lot better shape, than Seagal, even if he does have some weight on. Hell, Sammo had weight on even when he was on the Opera School regime, little food, and lots of physical activity, over long hours.

Archived