Sammo Hung – The Bodyguard (2015)

Keung

Have you ever seen 'Twinkle, Twinkle Lucky Stars', 'Magic Crystal', or 'Shanghai 13'? As a representative of the old guard in terms of screen fighting, Lau can bring it, and he's proved it more than once. Personally I'm more happy to hear that Lau's in the role rather than Jackie Chan, who was originally proposed.

Okay, I don't remember him in "twinkle, twinkle Lucky stars" which didn't do a lot for me. I remember enjoying magic crystal more for Cynthia Rothrock. I'm halfway through Shanghai 13 and felt the need to stop. He may be a decent actor but he is no way a top action or martial arts performer. He is nothing more than the equivalent of a popstar/whatever in today's Hong Kong culture, other than he had better training, better choreography, and of course better opponents. I just watched his battle versus Lu Feng in Shanghai 13 and he only demonstrated the mediocrity that he is. Lu Feng In my opinion, is one of the best villains of all time. He clearly underplayed to make Andy Lau look decent, which in my opinion he didn't really do because I know Lu Feng underplayed his abilities.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ShaOW!linDude
Okay, I don't remember him in "twinkle, twinkle Lucky stars" which didn't do a lot for me.

Are you talking about the same Twinkle Twinkle Lucky Stars I am?

The one with the awesome warehouse fight where Jackie Chan and Dick Wei go at it and Yuen Biao performs one of the greatest acrobatic sequences to kick a guy in the face on film?

The one with Sammo beating the snot of a bunch of transgendered assassins?

The one with a judo match between Sammo and Michelle Yeoh?

The one with the excellent fight between Sammo and Richard Norton?

The one with Kurata using sais and Sammo using tennis racquets?

I just want to be sure because we relatively have the same taste in fight action.:wink:

The one with the awesome warehouse fight where Jackie Chan and Dick Wei go at it and Yuen Biao performs one of the greatest acrobatic sequences to kick a guy in the face on film?

I just want to be sure because we relatively have the same taste in fight action.:wink:

I'm with you ShaOW!linDude. When I was writing my Portuguese-language book about the best fights of all time, I chose the warehouse fight, sad that it wouldn't be fair to include the Sammo/Richard + Biao/Chung final as well.

One Armed Boxer

Yeah that's the one, it's a unique movie in that it incorporates some of the most amazing action that the 3 Dragons ever put on screen together, against some teeth gratingly awful Cantonese comedy. It is a Lucky Stars movie though, so anyone watching should accept the comedy is a given, that's what they were marketed as, it just so happens that they also come with the bonus of having some jaw dropping fight scenes included in their run time.

Regarding your comment on the judo match between Sammo and Michelle Yeoh, I could be mistaken, but if my memory isn't playing tricks on me isn't that actually from 'The Own Vs. Bumbo'?

Regarding your comment on the judo match between Sammo and Michelle Yeoh, I could be mistaken, but if my memory isn't playing tricks on me isn't that actually from 'The Own Vs. Bumbo'?

No. It's from Twinkle Twinkle.

It's part of the scene where the Lucky Stars rehearse Romeo and Juliet with Rosamund Kwan and John Shum.

ShaOW!linDude

Asmo is correct. Yeoh's role in Owl Vs Bombo is unfortunately a non-action one. She's just the gorgeous damsel.

One Armed Boxer
No. It's from Twinkle Twinkle.

It's part of the scene where the Lucky Stars rehearse Romeo and Juliet with Rosamund Kwan and John Shum.

Asmo is correct. Yeoh's role in Owl Vs Bombo is unfortunately a non-action one. She's just the gorgeous damsel.

Thanks for the correction guys. I watched all of the Lucky Stars movies and a heap of other Sammo flicks in a really short period of time, several years later and it seems a few of them have got jumbled into one in my memory! Now I need to go and re-watch 'Twinkle Twinkle Lucky Stars'.

All I remember was there was lots of really bad comedy that was a nightmare to sit through just to get the action. Unless I'm getting my films mixed up but I don't think I am .

Edit : anyway, the original point of my comment was talking about Andy Lau Not Jackie, Sammo, Yuen Biao etc

All I remember was there was lots of really bad comedy that was a nightmare to sit through just to get the action. Unless I'm getting my films mixed up but I don't think I am

I found the goofy comedy in TTLS more endearing than the goofy comedy in My Lucky Stars, especially since the former featured Rosamund Kwan in a wet nightie.

I found the goofy comedy in TTLS more endearing than the goofy comedy in My Lucky Stars, especially since the former featured Rosamund Kwan in a wet nightie.

That's funny because I actually feel the exact opposite. I find My Lucky Stars way funnier.

TTLS is still a good time, though. Best fights in the series, or at least pretty close.

That's funny because I actually feel the exact opposite. I find My Lucky Stars way funnier.

TTLS is still a good time, though. Best fights in the series, or at least pretty close.

I found Winners and Sinners to have the best comedy, but I also agree that TTLS has the best action. Warehouse scene can stand to just about any fight of the "modern" era.

Yuens Biao and Wah directed by Sammo again? Count me in! It'll even be nice to see Dean Shek on screen again, always enjoyed him in Drunken Master

Yuens Biao and Wah directed by Sammo again? Count me in! It'll even be nice to see Dean Shek on screen again, always enjoyed him in Drunken Master

Mmm, I could do without Mr. Rocking, but if it means I'll get to see Wah and Biao, I'm game lol.

Mmm, I could do without Mr. Rocking, but if it means I'll get to see Wah and Biao, I'm game lol.

Mr. Rocking was one of his funnier appearances IMO, or maybe I just liked seeing him be made to suck eggs.

I'm interested in his guest appearance for the fact he's been reluctant to appear on screen ever since he had an accident that resulted in a change of his appearance (or so the story goes).

And yep, cameo appearances from Sammo's Peking Opera School cohorts are always welcome here.

Samo is a Kung fu God and I hope this movie is great but please no wire fu lets get back to the bodies hitting the floor crisp choreography and manic stunts.

This one has almost escaped my attention. But, that trailer looks nice. I hope that this is a more serious film. I loved some of Sammo`s moves here. When is this getting released? Maybe Well Go will pick it up. If not, if the reviews are good then I may just chance it with a purchase. 

Archived