Sammo Hung – The Bodyguard (2015)

Keung

Sammo Hung and Jackie Chan are set to reunite for a new movie entitled 'The Old Soldier'. Hung is directing the film, while Chan headlines as a thief who steals some valuable jewelry in Vladivostok and finds himself pursued by both U.S. and Russian law enforcement.

'The Old Soldier' will mark the first time that Hung has directed Chan in a movie since 1997's 'Mr. Nice Guy'. However, the pair have still managed to work together in other capacities, such as Chan executive producing 'Wushu' in 2008 and Hung popping up for a cameo in 2004's 'Around the World in 80 Days'. Coincidentally, 1997 was also the last time that Sammo sat in the director's chair when he helmed the Jet Li movie 'Once Upon A Time In China And America'.

'The Old Soldier' will co-star Andy Lowe and Liu Hua, with shooting set to take place throughout late September and October.

http://www.fareastfilms.com/newsPage/Sammo-To-Direct-Jackie-In-The-Old-Soldier-5564.htm

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure if I should get my hopes up, to be honest. If they don't bring the Fu, here's hoping they at least bring us a good time at the movies.

Well, I would assume that the action will look really good if anything. Bey Logan has said numerous times that Jackie looks his best when directed by Sammo. I think this movie does have hope. The plot does sound interesting and fun. I hope they go for a more "fun movie" route instead of trying to incorporate a "dramatic meaning" unless we know that the writer can really pull it off. Overall, I am looking forward to this movie, but maybe I should judge when I see the movie or even some production photos.

I immediately thought of Little Big Soldier when I saw the title, Old Soldier. Is Jackie the 'old soldier' of the title? Jackie's not that old, if anything, he looks 20 years younger than he really is.

And I want there to be a pole fight in a mansion as one of the set-pieces. Why? I don't know, I just want to see one, even if for no reason. The filmmakers can fit it in somewhere. :tongue:

Come again...? :xd:

Well...add some make-up/hair dye and he looks great:

jackie-chan-2013-01-16.jpg

And let's be honest here, he ages better than most people. Ric Meyers is 61 and he once said that Jackie makes him look like he's 80. :tongue:

if anything, he looks 20 years younger than he really is.

:

Agreed he looks great for his years but we all know he's 20 years past his peak. While he doesn't bring on the next "Jackie Chan" in a real supporting role sharing the spotlight, doing all the great action he can't do any more. I don't think we'll ever see a great Jackie Chan(Acting as action lead) movie ever again.

Jackie was still in pretty good shape in the late 90s-early 2000s but didn't really take advantage of it. Instead he repeated himself for 20 years taking on many projects below his standards for good paychecks, so of course his films has lost that certain touch that his classics have. Now that he's in his 60s, there's only one choice left for him: Go completely behind the scenes and nurture new action talents.

• Administrator

I just read the article that DiP posted and it says that Sammo is the film's star, and that Jackie was only going to make a "guest appearance" in the film. :squigglemouth: Unfortunately he wasn't even able to do that. In better news: "This time when Hung Kam Bo returned to direct he called in many favors, including Andy Lau Tak Wa, Karl Maka, Dean Shek Tin, Tsui Hark, Yuen Wah, Yuen Qiu and the Seven Little Fortunes. Many friends also volunteered." Sourced from: http://hktopten.blogspot.hk/2014/09/20140921-sammo-hung-has-not-contacted.html Well, that's good news at least. It will be nice to see these old pros in there. Fingers crossed that this is Sammo's big swan song fighting film. :nerd:

Sammo starring in, directing and choreographing a modern action flick in the vein of Taken? This just went to the top of my must see list!

One Armed Boxer
I'd be more excited without Andy Lau as the star.

Have you ever seen 'Twinkle, Twinkle Lucky Stars', 'Magic Crystal', or 'Shanghai 13'? As a representative of the old guard in terms of screen fighting, Lau can bring it, and he's proved it more than once. Personally I'm more happy to hear that Lau's in the role rather than Jackie Chan, who was originally proposed.

Have you ever seen 'Twinkle, Twinkle Lucky Stars', 'Magic Crystal', or 'Shanghai 13'? As a representative of the old guard in terms of screen fighting, Lau can bring it, and he's proved it more than once. Personally I'm more happy to hear that Lau's in the role rather than Jackie Chan, who was originally proposed.

Lau is fine, he's okay, he's solid but he doesn't fill me with excitement. He's never made me think oh wow he is great I should go out and see more of his films.To me, he's more of an actor than an action star. By the way thanks for mentioning Shanghai 13. I remember looking for this ages ago and I've just read it was released this year. Added to my wish list. I've been wanting to see this for a long time and nothing to do with Lau.

Andy Lau is no Nic Tse or Shawn Yue. He was actually an active athlete in his younger days and that helped him alot during his TVB days being trained by many of Hong Kong's finest action directors. Same with other of his peers at the time such as Simon Yam, Alan Tam etc.

I don't expect these actors to be as great as Jackie Chan and Jet Li but only to deliver their action performances convincingly. That they absolutely do, more than enough in fact.

Lau does work hard when it comes to training in action. Look at Shaolin, I saw some photos of Andy training for that film in I think it was Long Fist and Seven Star Fist. Here was a photo with co-star Shi Yanneng (formerly Xing Yu)

andy+lau+shaolin+temple+training+htv1.jpg

Sure, he was doubled back in the day for more complicated moves by Chin Kar-Lok, but he still could hold his own.

Back to The Bodyguard, I am definitely looking forward to it.

I don't expect these actors to be as great as Jackie Chan and Jet Li but only to deliver their action performances convincingly. That they absolutely do, more than enough in fact.

I may be in the minority here, but I would rather see someone a bit special in the martial arts department. I would personally like to see Sammo working with real talent that can deliver something spectacular rather than just convincing.

The good old action film mentality of anticipating real action from real talents is rather within the majority. The question here is whether or not you can accept non-action guys that are trying their best. You obviously don't so that's that.

I can accept non-action talents if they have more dedication to look good onscreen. There's a fine line between real action talents and the likes Andy Lau, Simon Yam, Alan Tam etc. But there's also another fine line between the latter and that of today like Nic Tse, Shawn Yue etc. The former group are better actors, have strong athletic backgrounds and have been doing action films for long so they know the drill.

Archived