The Thing With Two Heads

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

This movie is one of the funniest movies I ever saw.

51N0DBAF53L._SY300_.jpg

Non stop laughter.

The Thing With Two Heads (Trailer)

gWHNA_j7h5A

The movie.

ulYdGMSL04g

:tongue:

GD Y-Y

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Secret Executioner

Saw the trailer for this one and I couldn't stop laughing. If the film is on par with its trailer, it has to be one of the most hilarious things ever.

OpiumKungFuCracker

At first I thought this was an In Living Color sketch but was surprised this came out in 1972? I thought the 90s had the best ideas ever, I was wronged!!!

Secret Executioner
Seen It, didn't find it funny. For me the greatest comedy ever is:

Monty_python_and_the_holy_grail_2001_release_movie_poster.jpg

That one, dear Sir, has to be the most hilarious movie ever made.

I've been trying to remember a movie that had someone watching The Thing With Two Heads in it. Or maybe it was playing in the background. Does anyone remember what it was?

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG
Seen It, didn't find it funny. For me the greatest comedy ever is:

Monty_python_and_the_holy_grail_2001_release_movie_poster.jpg

It was so F__N absurd. I could not help but spit a gut.

Yours is great too.

GD Y-Y

masterofoneinchpunch

“He has a good head on his shoulders.”

The Thing With Two Heads (1972: Lee Frost)

The reasons why we watch movies are pretty vast. Often we are recommended films from various friends, relatives, people on the street and that vast abyss known as the Internet. I tend to get lots of recommendations, so I mentally put them away. If I get multiple recommendations and/or if the film is on one or more of the myriad lists I am working on I put it higher on my personal queue. I thought it might be nice to take a break from martial art, Hong Kong or critically appreciated films to watch this. It was time for another “cult classic.” Plus it is also getting close to October where I concentrate more on horror, exploitation and films with lawyers.

I have known about the movie for years and have been curious on how schlocky or exploitative is was going to be, but I was shocked on how uninteresting and slow it was. I believe you can make a good film out of almost anything. This certainly had potential. It could have been a Frankenstein-like monster that was created type of a film. It could have even been more of a social-political movie like Stanley Kramer’s The Defiant Ones. Imagine the banter that could have happened between them with the right writer. It somewhat tries to discuss race related issues, but Ray Milland’s character is too stupid when they should have either made him more manipulative or working on redemption. But the biggest issue with the film, aside from the basement budget, unimaginative score and cheap sets is the fact they spend way too much time on chase scenes – with one particular instance taking up several minutes of the film. This is one of the better examples on how not to choreograph a car chase where the drivers often seem to be deliberately crashing at too slow of speed.

While the film starts off with a serious tone, though one wonder how serious you can take a two headed monkey with a man in the suit, where you learn of Dr. Maxwell Kirshner (Milland) and his impending death from cancer. It does later try to be intentionally funny with some deadpan humor though the racist wisecracks tend more to be wince-inducing than anything else. It surprisingly takes a while to get to the meat of the story though – the part where Milland’s head is put on former NFL player Rosey Grier’s body (an interesting historical note is that he was one of two main people who took down Sirhan Sirhan after he shot Robert Kennedy). It is a combination of using a fake head (which is decently made) or having Milland really, really close looking quite uncomfortable, though that is expected since in many scenes his head is literally on the shoulder of Grier, while his body is hidden away by some divider or often having to just snuggle up and let the camera do the “special effects.”

Ray Milland is a solid actor though. If you want to see him acting at his best you can take a look at The Uninvited, The Lost Weekend, Dial M for Murder and many more films during his heyday in Hollywood. Even look at some of his other AIP pictures like The Premature Burial which is an underrated film in the Roger Corman Poe cycle (it unfortunately gets some dislike because he is not Vincent Price.) But he was a consummate actor who kept working until close to his death.

It is interesting to note that The Incredible 2-Headed Transplant was released a year earlier than this film. Both of these two headed movie are released on an MGM two-sided double feature DVD release for their Midnite Movie series. I have no idea when I will watch the other film. I do wonder if the two-headed scene from Army of Darkness is influenced from either one of those two.

Roger Ebert Review

masterofoneinchpunch
Boy, sounds like it doesn't live up to the expectation the trailer may create...

It is mentioned in Jennifer Eiss's book 500 Essential Cult Movies: The Ultimate Guide (which I forgot to mention) so it certainly has a following. But I was just disappointed with the results. It's surprisingly slow. I relooked at the trailer (the trailer is also on the DVD release as the only extra) and many of the quip highlights are there, though for me even on that trailer the car scenes look bad (they are worse in the movie, with some embarrasing driving skills.)

Secret Executioner
It is mentioned in Jennifer Eiss's book 500 Essential Cult Movies: The Ultimate Guide (which I forgot to mention) so it certainly has a following. But I was just disappointed with the results. It's surprisingly slow. I relooked at the trailer (the trailer is also on the DVD release as the only extra) and many of the quip highlights are there, though for me even on that trailer the car scenes look bad (they are worse in the movie, with some embarrasing driving skills.)

I understand you disappointment - I had a similar bad experience with Bruce Lee Fights Back From The Grave (loved the trailer, found the final product disappointing). The trailer for The Thing With Two Heads is very enjoyable, despite the car crashes looking rather silly and unspectacular.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

To me this was one of the funniest movies I have ever seen, period.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT24HhWLwF-DHB5geeeuetOdjHwX2psso_skLplE4QOwq8ifXUpiA:1.bp.blogspot.com/-Ay1GI6EZvTk/TcX1ShPH1pI/AAAAAAAACXk/hsaBWKnSpk0/s400/thing-with-two-heads-pic.jpg

Here is another one.

The Incredible Two Headed Transplant

51xh1zw1%2BfL._SX940_.jpg

The trailer.

Have not seen this.

T one white guy sure looks like John Candy but it is not him.

GD Y-Y

Archived