John Wick (2014)

Karlos

Awww... :squigglemouth:

I am now constructing a flying guillotine... just for using on you! :xd: Bwahaha ha ha!

Hehehehe...hey guess what? My Blu-Ray came in yesterday (I call it an early birthday present)...I reviewed the film and the Blu-Ray on the main site...they should call this action style "Gun-jitsu". :)

Great review, Albert and one I agree with 100%.

I love this film (seen it 3 times in the space of a week) and can see it becoming a future cult classic.

It's the Anti-Taken.

I can't wait for the UK blu to hit so I can dig it all over again in 1080p.

The extras sound interesting but would've loved a Keanu commentary.

Whoa, dude!

• Like 1

After a few viewings, I guess I call John Wick the “anti-Taken” because, although it has very possibly come into being due to the Taken films showing a middle-aged man on a rampage of revenge is commercially viable, and it shares a lot of similarities on the surface, there are key differences:

In John Wick, the hero is more relatable and on a more interesting mission –yes, he’s an ex-hitman but we feel for him: he’s avenging his dog (and by extension his late wife’s memory) and his loss of a “normal” life - whereas in Taken the hero is a cardboard bullyboy CIA @$$hole, who is out to save his spoilt brat daughter from something she brought about entirely due her own selfishness and stupidity.

In John Wick, the action is well shot, plentiful, comprehensible and varied, whereas in Taken it’s OK but sporadic and marred by shakycam.

In John Wick, It shows an interesting world with interesting characters – in Taken it’s the same old same old, with no-one other than Leeson being particularly memorable.

In John Wick, there are cute dogs. There are no dogs in Taken.

I guess I prefer John Wick. :smile:

• Like 2

In John Wick, the hero is more relatable and on a more interesting mission.

in Taken the hero is a cardboard bullyboy CIA @$$hole,

I think Neeson's character is better than what you describe here. The first movie is about the love a father has for his daughter and his family. It's also about an important issue in human trafficking, making the mission just as intense and interesting to me.

In John Wick, the action is well shot, plentiful, comprehensible and varied, whereas in Taken it’s OK but sporadic and marred by shakycam.

In John Wick, It shows an interesting world with interesting characters – in Taken it’s the same old same old, with no-one other than Leeson (?) being particularly memorable.

These are good arguments, but you can make them against any movie really, not just Taken.

In John Wick, there are cute dogs. There are no dogs in Taken.

True. I'll give you that one.

I guess I prefer John Wick.

Fair enough. I like John Wick too. And I agree that the action is superior. But I also have love for Taken. I mean, it's Liam Neeson. I just like that guy. :tongue:

• Like 1

I'm guessing we're getting it later and later over here because it's not a blockbuster.

Shame, as it could mean we get the BD/DVD even later... :tinysmile_angry2_t:

• Like 1

SICK!! Would be cool to see a prequel and see the "impossible mission" the bad guy sent john on to get his freedom. They are worried about us connecting with the character, and what better than to see his fight to free himself from the under world so he can spend his life with his wife (who later passes away) ooohhhh shit. I can't wait to see how they amp up the action.. Wow excited!!

• Like 1

One Armed Boxer

I got through watching this one last night (yes, many months after everyone else!), and I loved it! 90 minutes of no frills fun with no filler. It actually made me feel like I was watching a 2014 version of an early Seagal movie, something like 'Above the Law' or 'Out for Justice' (ironically, if I remember correctly 'Out for Justice' also finishes with a dog scene?). The only difference is instead of Aikido, you have Keanu Reeves dishing out head shots and judo throws.

What was so great about 'John Wick', is that it proves it's still possible to make a great action movie without a ton of CGI and a cameraman who has Parkinson's - the action scenes were clearly shot and plentiful, you could see exactly what was going on, and there was a nice 'take no prisoners' brutality to it. I don't think there were too many bad guys in this who didn't receive a bullet in the head.

The supporting cast also do a great job of interacting with Reeves. Unlike 'Haywire' which I also watched recently, in which it felt there were all these A-list actors showing up to try and give proceedings some weight or credibility, here everyone adds something - from a fellow hitman in the form of William Dafoe, to the world weary character of Ian McShane, they all add to the movies entertainment value.

For me the only real detractor was the soundtrack, I would have prefered a composed score instead of the pre-existing songs that were used, as ocassionally I felt it didn't fit with the scene. But that's a minor gripe, and one which I also have with other action movies like 'The Transporter', but it wouldn't hinder my enjoyment to the point that I won't be giving it a rewatch.

Loved the ending as well, it immediately made me think of Chow Yun Fat at the end of 'Full Contact'. Bring on the sequel!

• Like 1

masterofoneinchpunch
... What was so great about 'John Wick', is that it proves it's still possible to make a great action movie without a ton of CGI and a cameraman who has Parkinson's - the action scenes were clearly shot and plentiful, you could see exactly what was going on, and there was a nice 'take no prisoners' brutality to it. I don't think there were too many bad guys in this who didn't receive a bullet in the head.

This was quite a fun watch in the theater. I was quite happy about the cinematography. Reminded me back in the pre-Bourne days of action shoots where not everything had to involve shaking of the camera. I also like the little references like Red Circle (Jean Pierre Melville) and assassin's world they inhabit. What was nice about the gun action was that it relied on mostly handgun fights and avoided overuse of machine guns.

• Like 2

ShaOW!linDude

Been wanting to see this and finally dvr'ed it. Great flick!!! This has some of the best choreographed interplay of gun and fight sequences I've ever seen. And it even has Keanu squaring off against Daniel Bernhardt. When I saw DB in the 2nd and 3rd Matrix films, I was hoping the 2 of them would have a screen fight, but alas, it never happened. I'm cool with that now because their 2 throwdowns in this were killer. Gonna have to score the dvd at some point now.

• Like 5

I have a question about John Wick the first film. 

John Wick in the disco called the red circle gets his assed kicked and thrown from a balcony before escaping, did he get revenge on that guy later on in the film? I can’t recall it.

• Like 2

One Armed Boxer

Had a read through this whole thread since @WangYu revived it, and interesting to read many of the comments 9 years on!

On 11/22/2014 at 4:20 AM, masterofoneinchpunch said:

Is it my imagination of is Keanu delivering lines better and better as he gets older?

I'd love to hear if you still feel this way after his performance in Chapter 4!

On 1/14/2015 at 10:45 AM, Karlos said:

I want more adventures of John Wick, roaming the world, righting wrongs, taking out the trash.

Is 3 more outings enough now @Karlos, or are you still craving more? :tongueout

• Like 3

@One Armed Boxerha ha! I'm very much looking forward to seeing part 4, and it's been interesting to see the mixed reactions on here. 

Also, rereading this thread has got me feeling a bit old...😲😀

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

@DiP @One Armed Boxer

I looked it up it was the handcuffed fight. It wasn‘t clear to me who the henchmen were, they all looked the same in their suits. 
Wick did a lot better handcuffed, either way, that guy was the only one who caused him some trouble.

Good film, I enjoyed it, especially the first half hour, great lines by Viggo, a sense of anticipating of what’s to come. I love how the bad guys feared the “good” guy and they didn’t hide or mask it. Maybe this was inspired by Commando with Arnold Schwarzenegger, his character in that film has an almost mythical status as wel.

What I also liked is how hard the fights are, he is not dispatching his enemies in hand to hand combat as if they were flies, he has to work for it. This reminded me of Jackie Chan films who not only handed out lots of punches but he often received just as many.

Next week I will rewatch chapter 2 but I didn’t like it the first time I saw it. In the debut film there was the revenge plot and it was easy to root for John but in the sequel I remember it being more about the continental and its weird world building.

• Like 3

masterofoneinchpunch
On 3/25/2023 at 2:47 AM, One Armed Boxer said:

Had a read through this whole thread since @WangYu revived it, and interesting to read many of the comments 9 years on!

I'd love to hear if you still feel this way after his performance in Chapter 4!

Is 3 more outings enough now @Karlos, or are you still craving more? :tongueout

Not sure when I'll get to 4, but I'll comment after I do.

Have you read my essay on here on the first film?

• Like 2