The Shadow Boxing (1979) (aka 'Spiritual Boxer 2') - Any good?

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

Never heard of this second outing of Spiritual Boxer.

Spiritual Boxer 2.

10653378_838654019487540_1277072451349740186_n.jpg?oh=ffc70b5cbb43ee85dcd44f74cfac3e42&oe=54A2C5FB&__gda__=1417927719_c24bd9b341fb0a1f0a511616b2dc7cec

Here is the original Shaw cover.

The Shadow Boxing.

10264654_713397815376854_2722949434462717102_n.jpg?oh=634b30da16db0f4abf954dace5b22163&oe=548BE6D8&__gda__=1419036850_fe919e2d96702b7e666dad54b1c875f7

Nothing on YouTube.

Your thoughts please.

GD Y-Y

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a good one, with Liu Chia Hui playing a hoping dead body in order to escape from -I don't remember what-, and there are good fights and a little bit of humour.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG
It's a good one, with Liu Chia Hui playing a hoping dead body in order to escape from -I don't remember what-, and there are good fights and a little bit of humour.

Thanks.

GD Y-Y

There is only 1 good action scene. Well, one action scene period. Just when it starts to get good, it ends. Its LKL's weakest effort. DM3 might even be more entertaining.

There is only 1 good action scene. Well, one action scene period. Just when it starts to get good, it ends. Its LKL's weakest effort. DM3 might even be more entertaining.

Agreed. I suppose it's worth a watch for LKL completists and the final fight is a good one. But for a LKL film starring Gordon Liu & Wong Yue that was made in the time between Heroes of the East & Dirty Ho??? Huge let down.

It was a darker, more off-beat film; slightly weirder than Cat vs Rat but with little to no kung fu. It`s not your typical "Pops" film. It`s probably my least favorite "Pops" Shaw film.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG
It was a darker, more off-beat film; slightly weirder than Cat vs Rat but with little to no kung fu. It`s not your typical "Pops" film. It`s probably my least favorite "Pops" Shaw film.

Well now, I won't see this one.

Thanks for the feedbag on this loser, too bad.

Pop's may have been under pressure from Run Run to put something out there and thus a poor effort was given.

GD Y-Y

Pop's may have been under pressure from Run Run to put something out there and thus a poor effort was given.

GD Y-Y

This is not a good Shaw movie, but I would not suggest skipping it.

It is a Shaw after all and I think any Shaw fan that really loves Shaw movies should see them all (Even stuff like 'Susanna' which I thought was pretty good, btw!!) if they can.

It isn't a good Shaw movie, but it is better 90% of the movies made by any other company.

That's just how I feel about Shaw Brothers movies.

This is not a good Shaw movie, but I would not suggest skipping it.

Well said. Do watch it at least once. Just dont expect a masterpiece like the other LKL flics.

Sorry to scare you away from it.

Eastern Evil is right : if you're a true Shaw Brothers' movies fan, you should watch all what you can get from them.

I began with the martial arts movies only, believing that it was enough for me, but when I began to watch the other genres such as the dramas, the musicals or the Huang Mei operas, I realized that all these movies were better than the other companies' ones and I decided to go on collecting all what I could find from the Shaws...And that's how I began to collect the tvb series too, knowing that it was a part of the Shaws' empire...

So, if you can get Spiritual boxer 2, you should watch it in order to forge your own opinion about it...

I loved Tiger Killer, does that count as a non martial arts film? Definitely felt more like a drama to me, and a damn good one at that.

Haha, a midget! The scene we're gets knocked down a flight of stairs and you see his legs is funny. But yeah, he did a great job, as did about everyone involved with that movie.

I enjoyed The Shadow Boxing quite a bit. Just know going into it that it's more of an atmospheric horror-comedy with some kung fu, rather than a straight-up kung fu movie. I thought it was fun.

OpiumKungFuCracker

GD Y-Y

No, don't let words persuade you away from seeing this masterpiece. I put it up there with Bangkok Revenge, it's a must own!!! Even if you don't have any money, I suggest you go to a bank and get a loan so that you can own this movie.

I do own ivl disc but did read it has lot hopping vampires and little fu. That is kinda offputting, I might see this if I am alive after 20 years...

If this is that bad, shame on LKL as movie features gordon liu, wilson tong and norman chu.

Nevermind, crazy shaolin disciples is garbage despite good cast.

shaolin swords

I was going to buy it when it came out December 9 by well go usa but from what I just read am not going to bother I mean hopping vampires only one action scene in the movie :sad:

Those aren't hopping vampires in The Shadow Boxing. They're just reanimated corpses hopping their way home for burial. "A supposed source of the jiangshi stories came from the folk practice of "transporting a corpse over a thousand li. The relatives of a person who died far away from home could not afford vehicles to have the deceased person's body transported home for burial, so they would hire a Taoist priest to conduct a ritual to ranimate the dead person and teach him/her to "hop" their way home. The priests would transport the corpses only at night and would ring bells to notify others in the vicinity of their presence because it was considered bad luck for a living person to set eyes upon a jangshi." Check out "Jiangshi" on Wikipedia for more.

So Liu Chia Liang hopes to escape from the bad guys by hiding among the hopping corpses. I'll buy the dvd just because I remember how enjoyable the movie was on the big screen in a Chinese theater several decades ago.

Those aren't hopping vampires in The Shadow Boxing. They're just reanimated corpses hopping their way home for burial. "A supposed source of the jiangshi stories came from the folk practice of "transporting a corpse over a thousand li. The relatives of a person who died far away from home could not afford vehicles to have the deceased person's body transported home for burial, so they would hire a Taoist priest to conduct a ritual to ranimate the dead person and teach him/her to "hop" their way home. The priests would transport the corpses only at night and would ring bells to notify others in the vicinity of their presence because it was considered bad luck for a living person to set eyes upon a jangshi." Check out "Jiangshi" on Wikipedia for more.

So Liu Chia Liang hopes to escape from the bad guys by hiding among the hopping corpses. I'll buy the dvd just because I remember how enjoyable the movie was on the big screen in a Chinese theater several decades ago.

Hahaa - well said! :biggrin:

Archived