The earliest use of "superman punch" technique onscreen

DiP

I believe most people today know what that is. Let me enlighten y'all just in case...

SrxEe0Hxtyc

The earliest film I can think of at the moment is Yuen Woo Ping's Tiger Cage when Donnie Yen is fighting Michael Woods and Stephen Berwick. He does it twice: at the 1:14 and 2:34 min marks.

LabZXH3_5RQ

Anyone know older fight scenes with the punching technique on display?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One Armed Boxer

Panna Rittikrai's original 'Born to Fight' from 1984 precedes 'Tiger Cage' by a whole 4 years. Check out the 0:24 & 2:51 marks of the clip -

i58x1Bcfkz8

NoKUNGFUforYU

I was watching the Lizard last night, as a matter of fact, a 1972 Shaw brothers flick where Chung Wa attempted a sort of leaping punch on Lo Lieh. I don't know if it was perfect, but I remembered thinking "Superman Punch!" I don't have a clip though.

Panna Rittikrai's original 'Born to Fight' from 1984 precedes 'Tiger Cage' by a whole 4 years. Check out the 0:24 & 2:51 marks of the clip -

i58x1Bcfkz8

Thanks. Those punches looked way more painful.

Sammo Hung does a one-legged superman punch without the leap at Billy Chow in Eastern Condors (see 2:02 mark):

Z5FC-DH88wk

I also remember distinctly the superman punch was thrown in the finale fight in Tiger Cage 3 but I can't find the video on youtube.

Superman never had to punch no one. He just walked up and grabbed people by the shirt collar and they confessed to the crime. Or they shot Superman first and he just laughed it off and they surrendered. Well, at least that is how he handled it back in the 50`s. Maybe he just got tired of getting shot at close range and decided to take the initiative. But, I would think that Superman might use more of an Wing Chun punch. :tongue::biggrin:

One Armed Boxer

I recently got through watching the 1983 Korean production 'Seven Star Grand Mantis', which pre-dates the movie I mentioned previously, 'Born to Fight', by a whole year.  Unfortunately I couldn't find any clips, however in it Eagle Han does a superman punch twice, in an old school kung-fu movie no less!  It was pretty cool to see, although the rest of it was awful.

Archived