Shout's new releases: Kung Fu Girl / Whiplash and Legacy of Rage

mpm74

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Cheng Pei Pei double feature sounds interesting. Did our brother KFB provide the artwork ? :tongue:

For shout's double features, I believe they'll use spliced version of the original Chinese posters, like this.

• Administrator
The Cheng Pei Pei double feature sounds interesting. Did our brother KFB provide the artwork ? :tongue:

No. :squigglemouth: I didn't even know about the Cheng Pei Pei release until just now.

I did hear about the LEGACY OF RAGE release and told them that I'd love to do the cover for it. But they usually only commission original artwork for "Collector's Edition" releases, and I was told that this one wouldn't be. The good news is that, from what I understand, it will have at least one very cool special feature. But with the shrinking sales in the DVD and Blu-ray market, the fact that Shout! Factory still commissions new, original artwork for any of their releases is fantastic.

Will I be picking up these two releases? Oh yes. :nerd:

Not Bob's artwork, but ALMOST just as cool. I just like the fact they're using art, and not photoshop. Unfortunately, the double feature is a photoshop job, but I can see where getting the original poster art (in print quality) would be a problem.

leg.png

whip.png

Thanks for the info.

Yet again no Blu ray which is a shame.

Shout probably doesn't trust Fortune Star to give them decent HD materials. Plus I would figure the market for these films is so small, they would lose money by doing both DVD and Bluray.

No. :squigglemouth: I didn't even know about the Cheng Pei Pei release until just now.

I did hear about the LEGACY OF RAGE release and told them that I'd love to do the cover for it. But they usually only commission original artwork for "Collector's Edition" releases, and I was told that this one wouldn't be. The good news is that, from what I understand, it will have at least one very cool special feature. But with the shrinking sales in the DVD and Blu-ray market, the fact that Shout! Factory still commissions new, original artwork for any of their releases is fantastic.

Will I be picking up these two releases? Oh yes. :nerd:

From what I hear KUNG FU GIRL is basically Cheng Pei Pei's version of Fists of Fury!

Legacy of Rage artwork is actually fucking awesome. Surprised, to say the least. I'll definitely be picking that up!

Thank you Shout Factor for continuing to release DVD and Blu Rays with special features for older movie we love so much!!!

While it irritates me to not see more of Brother Bob's artwork, I understand Shout's ideas behind artwork for "Collectors Editions". That said Bob you have become awesome with Photoshop maybe you should give them some samples. :wink:

Looking forward to these for sure!!!

Nice its got some special features. The artwork is great but i dont like the way the gun has been added to Brandon's hand, that was not on the original poster.

It's a nice enough sleeve - and it's always nice to see actual artwork rather than the usual photoshopped lazy stuff - but's it's nothing special.

Bob would've knocked that shit out of the park.

• Administrator
Not Bob's artwork, but ALMOST just as cool. I just like the fact they're using art, and not photoshop.

Thanks man. :wink: Yeah, I think it's a cool cover. Looks to me like it's a mix of an old UK VHS cover and maybe a Thai theatrical poster with a little touching up by an artist.

From what I hear KUNG FU GIRL is basically Cheng Pei Pei's version of Fists of Fury!

That sounds like fun.

Legacy of Rage artwork is actually fucking awesome. Surprised, to say the least. I'll definitely be picking that up!

It's much better than the HK DVD release cover that I have.

Thank you Shout Factor for continuing to release DVD and Blu Rays with special features for older movie we love so much!!!

While it irritates me to not see more of Brother Bob's artwork, I understand Shout's ideas behind artwork for "Collectors Editions". That said Bob you have become awesome with Photoshop maybe you should give them some samples. :wink:

Looking forward to these for sure!!!

I appreciate that bro. I do know that they already have an in-house graphics guy to do any of that kind of work. I'd rather concentrate on doing original art anyway. However, if anyone out there is looking for a graphics artist to do that type of work, I'm not saying I'm not for hire. :angel:

It's a nice enough sleeve - and it's always nice to see actual artwork rather than the usual photoshopped lazy stuff - but's it's nothing special.

SHAOLIN SOCCER style. LOL :tongue: Too kind Karlos. A chance to immortalize Brandon? Oh man, I would've been all over that, and giving it my all. That's okay. Maybe the next one will be as exciting too.

According to Mike Leeder via his Facebook, he and Ronny Yu recorded an audio commentary for Legacy of Rage.

YES! I really wanted to tell you guys that, but wasn't about to let the cat out of the bag until it was announced. Mike said he learned a whole lot from doing that commentary session. If he learned a lot, it's likely going to blow the rest of us away. :nerd:

Yeah, that's a pretty sweet cover. I probably won't be buying it, as the Fox release serves me just fine, but still...nice fucking job.

This is true.

(Especially the Cheng Pei Pei features)

I'm breaking records with my video purchase counts, these past two years!

:nerd:

"Not ME, Mr. Roper... YOU."

(Especially the Cheng Pei Pei features)

I'm breaking records with my video purchase counts, these past two years!

:nerd:

"Not ME, Mr. Roper... YOU."

"How do you like it here?"

An action-packed double feature starring martial arts sensation Pei-Pei Cheng (Come Drink With Me, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon)

For the first time in the U.S., the complete 119-minute version of Kung Fu Girl (aka Attack Of The Kung Fu Girls)

KUNG FU GIRL

The Empress Dowager flees when the allied forces descend upon the capital. During an attack by bandits, her jewels are lost in the mountains. Ten years later, a local villager finds the treasure. When news of the found jewels spreads, a group of bandits descends upon the town hoping to find the treasure, but first they’ll have to deal with the villager’s daughter, Tigress (Pei-Pei Cheng), who is quite dangerous due to her amazing fighting skills.

WHIPLASH

During the early days of the Chinese Republic, General Yuan proclaimed himself the new Emperor of China. When young students protest his treaty with Japan, one of the students, Tsai, is arrested by Lei, the Chief of Security. Tsai’s young sister (Pei-Pei Cheng) poses as Lei’s long-lost sister in hopes of finding and rescuing her brother.

2m2jnmg.jpg

KUNG FU GIRL

The Empress Dowager flees when the allied forces descend upon the capital. During an attack by bandits, her jewels are lost in the mountains. Ten years later, a local villager finds the treasure. When news of the found jewels spreads, a group of bandits descends upon the town hoping to find the treasure, but first they’ll have to deal with the villager’s daughter, Tigress (Pei-Pei Cheng), who is quite dangerous due to her amazing fighting skills.

WHIPLASH

During the early days of the Chinese Republic, General Yuan proclaimed himself the new Emperor of China. When young students protest his treaty with Japan, one of the students, Tsai, is arrested by Lei, the Chief of Security. Tsai’s young sister (Pei-Pei Cheng) poses as Lei’s long-lost sister in hopes of finding and rescuing her brother.

They've got the titles and descriptions mixed up there. I really like Whiplash BTW, it's more like an adventure film.

Archived