Shazam! (2019)/Shazam! Fury of the Gods (2023) - Zachary Levi, Asher Angel

AlbertV

Okay, DC Comics has nine film projects in the works and all. I had to start up a thread on Shazam! with the reason being that for weeks, Dwayne Johnson has been teasing about what DC Comics character he would be playing.

Today, via Twitter...he has announced he will be in SHAZAM! but not as Captain Marvel. He will be playing Black Adam, Captain Marvel's nemesis turned anithero!!!

Bwnl_foCYAA-m8S.jpg

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 1

Major updates since the 1st post:

• Dwayne Johnson's Black Adam will not be the in the film, but may be introduced in Suicide Squad 2, which will now be helmed by Gavin O'Connor.
  • David F. Sandberg will be directing the film.
  • Zachary Levi will play Shazam!
  • Asher Angel will play Billy Batson, Shazam's 13-year old alter ego.
  • Mark Strong will play the film's villain Dr. Sivana.
  • Production begins next year in Vancouver for an April 2019 release.

Levi recently spoke about the possible tone of Shazam, which may have a vibe similar to Guardians of the Galaxy (Dark Horizons)

“James Gunn and the gang killed it. It brought so much heart and humor and I think it was kind of this dark horse that took everyone by storm. I think Shazam kind of has the possibility to do that, because Shazam is not, for all intents and purposes, it’s not Supes (Superman), it’s not Batman, it’s not Wonder Woman.

If you look at most Justice League montages or Justice League posts, Shazam is not necessarily one of the characters you put on there, except he is in the Justice League, so if we do well enough…

Shazam gets to be a fun, jovial, because he is, he’s Billy Batson, he’s 13. It’s the movie BIG but with superpowers, which I’m beyond stoked about. By the way, for those Shazam purists out there, and I know there are many of you out there, I understand that the S in his name stands for the Wisdom of Solomon, and that’s a difficult thing to believe when you’re playing the 13-year old in you who’s not as wise as Solomon.”

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 2

Shazam is based on the orignal Captain Marvel, who debuted in Whiz Comics (published by Fawcett Comics) in 1940.  In the 1940's Captain Marvel became even more popular than Superman.  In 1953 DC Comics sued Fawcett for copyright infringement, claiming that Captain Marvel was a copy of Superman.  Fawcett ceased publishing Captain Marvel.  In 1972 DC Comics had the rights to the Captain Marvel-related characters and returned them to publication, later bringing them into the DC universe, and even renaming Captain Marvel to Shazam.  "Captain Marvel was also the first comic book superhero to be adapted into film, in a 1941 Republic Pictures serial titled Adventures of Captain Marvel."  Captain Marvel was played by Tom Tyler.  (from Wikipedia) 

The original 1941 Captain Marvel - 

Image result for image from adventures of captain marvel

Edited by whitesnake
  • Like 3

This was too good NOT to share...Martial Club did a Shazam! parody video...Sha-Blam!

• Like 4

A ton of fun this. Takes longer than it needs to set everything up, but once it gets rolling it's a riot. The best DC film by quite a margin (mind you that isn't saying much!). Zachary Levi makes it, his utter commitment to the gag of being a child in a man's body. Mark Strong does strong pantomime villain work. Action is fairly standard as these films go, fly, smash, repeat.

• Like 3

A Shazam sequel will be made.  "In the wake of the New Line film's $53.5 million domestic bow over the weekend, a sequel is officially in the works, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed.  Henry Gayden, who penned the original's screenplay, is writing the next installment, while Shazam director David F. Sandberg and producer Peter Safran are expected to return for the follow-up.  The DC film set up plenty of fodder for potential sequels, with surprise cameos setting the stage for more heroes in this universe and a mid-credits scene teasing a mysterious villain.  Dwayne Johnson is also set to star in his own solo movie as the classic Shazam villain Black Adam, and will presumably face off against the hero at some point.  From https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/shazam-sequel-works-original-screenwriter-1200279

"In terms of franchise potential, producer Peter Safran admitted to Collider (at http://collider.com/shazam-david-sandberg-peter-safran-interview/#images ) that they'd like to move quickly on a sequel before the film's child actors become too old for the roles.  Should Sandberg return to helm the sequel, the chances of a quick production schedule seem entirely plausible given the filmmaker's horror background and the tight schedules those films tend to run on."  Also, Dwayne Johnson expects Black Adam  to begin filming in 2020.  From https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/how-shazam-sets-up-dwayne-johnson-black-adam-spinoff-1200153

Edited by whitesnake
  • Like 2

The sequel, Shazam! Fury of the Gods, will have Helen Mirren as the film's central villain, Hespera. The film has also a release date set for June 2, 2023. Asher Angel returns as Billy Batson and Zachary Levi returns as Shazam!

https://www.thewrap.com/helen-mirren-joins-shazam-fury-of-the-gods-in-villain-role/

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 3

Finally watched "Shazam" today, and I really enjoyed it! The casting was great, and they actually wrote likable child characters, that aren't the obnoxious brats that most teenagers/kids are written like nowadays. I also enjoyed the humor( Most of which was provided by Zachary Levi, who made an amazing Shazam).  The action was sparse(Most appearing near the end), but I was so invested in the characters that I didn't mind. So yeah, it was a really, really, good movie. Cannot wait for the sequel to come out. 

• Like 2

shazam-fury-of-the-gods-cast-photo.jpg

Here's a cast photo of the adult superheroes of Shazam! Fury of the Gods

Adam Brody as Freddy Freeman
Meagan Good as Darla Dudley
Ross Butler as Eugene Choi 
Zachary Levi as Billy Batson/Shazam!
Michelle Borth as Mary Bromfield
D.J. Cotrona as Pedro Pena

• Like 3

8 hours ago, AlbertV said:

shazam-fury-of-the-gods-cast-photo.jpg

Here's a cast photo of the adult superheroes of Shazam! Fury of the Gods

Adam Brody as Freddy Freeman
Meagan Good as Darla Dudley
Ross Butler as Eugene Choi 
Zachary Levi as Billy Batson/Shazam!
Michelle Borth as Mary Bromfield
D.J. Cotrona as Pedro Pena

They look awesome! Cannot wait to see this movie. 

• Like 2

On 7/24/2022 at 10:01 AM, laagi said:

I'm so psyched to see this! The first movie was awesome, and this looks like its shaping up to be a worthy sequel. 

Oh, and anyone else notice the Annabelle camo at 0:54? lol 

• Like 2

Just watched it a couple days ago and, it was alright. But it’s defiantly a major step down from the first move. Almost to the point of feeling unneeded. I’ll give it a 3/5 for a cool cameo, Darla’s adult form still being the best character in this series, and some okay action scenes. But if you can honestly skip this movie and you won’t have missed anything. 

• Like 1

Drunken Monk

Personally, this is one of the weakest films I've seen this year. The action is lame, both Helen Mirren and Lucy Liu are wasted and the plot was just generic superhero fluff. Not a fan at all. Plus, the "kids as adults" thing got tired five minutes in.

• Like 1