Kung Fu Jungle - Fan Film by Vlad Rimburg

spidermexican

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One Armed Boxer

I don't think it's too much of a compliment to say that if the fights in the upcoming Donnie Yen movie are even half as good as what's in this 5 minute short, most of us will be satisfied.

You guys really need to pool your resources and get a full length feature out there, I can guarantee almost everyone on this forum would contribute if you started a crowd funding campaign. We need more!

I'm glad Vlad's putting out more Donnie-inspired short films these days. I remember him being quite critical when it came to Donnie's choreography 7-8 years ago. Variety and improvements in fight choreography pays off after all :biggrin:

As for Kung Fu Jungle, I hear the film is going to display SEVERAL (according to director Teddy Chen) fighting styles: traditional kung fu styles, 80s HK kickboxing, MMA, weapons etc.

I love Vlad Rimburg's stuff but I think he needs to stop being influenced by films that haven't even come out yet as it just seems like a shoddy way of drawing attention to himself.

He doesn't need to do his take on other films when he has the talent he does. To me it's awkward and unnecessary.

Hello everyone, Vlad Rimburg here.

To One Armed Boxer:

4 years ago my good friend Dennis wrote a script for a movie called "Unlucky Stars." We started filming it August 29, 2010. The movie is in it's final stages of color correction.

In 2012, we tried to raise 35k for the movie through indiegogo, but were only able to raise about 9k. Dennis and I pulled all of our resources and connections for it. We each also spent 3k+ each out of our own pockets.

Although everyone here might have supported us, the rest of the world needs to know who we are and what we do and that we make good shit!!! With that said:

Drunken Monk:

It's necessary to do a take on other stuff, but you have to be GOOD at it. HammerGirl was a success because it allowed me to meet with Gareth Evans and Iko Uwais, who BOTH loved the short. Doing videos like this also helps generate a fan base and more attention. When someone calls me out on new and original content, I immediately direct them to my other videos (Osu, Part 1 Chapter C, Men in Suits, etc..)

There's nothing wrong with trying to get recognized. Unfortunately, in Hollywood, people see me as a threat. They think I will take their jobs, knowing damn well that what I do, is better than what they can...and that's just facts and the political game of the business.

The reason I make fan versions is to show the audience what I can bring to the table..because when you talk with producers and directors, they ask you, "Can you do this style, or that style, or what about what The Raid did or Donnie Yen.." These videos are proof that I can not only imitate an idea, but put my own flavor on it as well.

Like One Armed said, "if the fights in the upcoming Donnie Yen movie are even half as good as what's in this 5 minute short, most of us will be satisfied."

...this statement sucks ONLY because we KNOW what Donnie is capable of. For him to go on and make crap is unnecessary and it's like he's saying "I'm Donnie Yen, I don't need to make good shit anymore because I'm Donnie Yen." The same applies for Sammo, and Yuen Woo Ping. It's like they don't try any more...and if you say they do, tell me how many times you've replayed a fight scene from Iceman, Special ID, Once Upon a Time in Shanghai, Legend (I can keep going).....definetely not as many, if at all, as any Sammo r Ping movie from the late 70's until the early/mid 90's.

DiP: I think I was very critical, but I also said that Donnie is the one who can save Hong Kong martial arts cinema. And I was right :). He did.....we got Flashpoint, which showed the true potential of MMA in movies, and then we got Ip Man..the bringing back of Wing Chun in a new style.

But thank you guys for following and enjoying the work. I have a lot of big plans and new ideas...but need money and equipment for that. :)

Like One Armed said, "if the fights in the upcoming Donnie Yen movie are even half as good as what's in this 5 minute short, most of us will be satisfied."

...this statement sucks ONLY because we KNOW what Donnie is capable of. For him to go on and make crap is unnecessary and it's like he's saying "I'm Donnie Yen, I don't need to make good shit anymore because I'm Donnie Yen." The same applies for Sammo, and Yuen Woo Ping. It's like they don't try any more...and if you say they do, tell me how many times you've replayed a fight scene from Iceman, Special ID, Once Upon a Time in Shanghai, Legend (I can keep going).....definetely not as many, if at all, as any Sammo r Ping movie from the late 70's until the early/mid 90's.

DiP: I think I was very critical, but I also said that Donnie is the one who can save Hong Kong martial arts cinema. And I was right :). He did.....we got Flashpoint, which showed the true potential of MMA in movies, and then we got Ip Man..the bringing back of Wing Chun in a new style.

You have a great point, and it does look like most of the HK veterans have given up on ingenuity they was known for in order to push the boundaries of fight choreography in HK action films, and are now repeating themselves way too much. Either that or they want to move on trying other things because people change in time and so will their preferences. Donnie himself has somewhat changed in that he's taking on all kinds of projects within and outside his comfort zone (tough guys who preens in front of the camera and beating everybody up with ease etc) and is seeking challenges as an actor. But I also respect him for not forgetting what his fans truly want and still tries to surpass himself as an action director. Contrary to all the naysayers I actually re-watch the action in Special ID - which is nothing but a decent throwback to 80s/90s HK cop films - as well as Monkey King (despite of the efforts he put on the action scenes, his acting is the best thing about the film) and Iceman (it's a terrible film overall though I agree), and always find something new or interesting details in his choreography. But to each his own. We will just have to see how his upcoming films will do because extremely high expectations can sometimes turn out ugly for viewers who want to see more awesomeness from people's past films.

But good luck with your indi filmmaking career. Looking forward to see more Donnie-inspired films.

Archived