High School Violence Films

AlbertV

Hey guys,

I am thinking of getting back into watching an old subgenre of the action film: violence in high schools. There have been quite a few back in the day.

Yes, we all know there were classics like High School Confidential and The Blackboard Jungle in the 50's.

Some of my favorites were more 70's and 80's:

Massacre at Central High (Renee Daalder, 1976): New guy comes to school, was old friends with a member of the elite clique who terrorize the nerds. When new guy stops a rape by members of this elite (not his old friend), a misunderstanding of old friend causes the elite clique to crush new kid's leg under a van. New guys seeks revenge by killing all but his old friend. Of course, this causes the terrorized to now become the elite and this forces new guy to do the unthinkable.

Class of 1984 (Mark L. Lester, 1981): A new music teacher comes to Lincoln High and finds himself constantly victimized by the school gang, led by Stegman. Constant harrassment and a frame up culminates in the music teacher pushed over the edge when the gang rape and kidnap the teacher's wife. Now, the teacher goes from mild-mannered to getting even.

Dangerously Close (Albert Pyun, 1986): A high school journalist, new to a prep school, learns that justice is being done by a select group of rich kids. When I mean justice, they go catching the bad elements. Things go awry when one of the justice seekers' victims is murdered.

3:15 (Larry Gross, 1986): Jeff Hanna was once a member of a high school gang, The Cobras. One night, he decides to give up the gang life. Returning to school, he has found love with fellow student Sarah. However, the Cobras have not forgotten Jeff and when they threaten Sarah, Jeff decides to end the Cobras' reign of terror after school one fateful day.

The Principal (Christopher Cain, 1987): Lattimer is a former teacher who gets assigned the job of principal at one of the worst schools in Chicago. The school is run by gang leader and drug dealer Victor. As Lattimer attempts to change the system, he finds himself constantly victimized by Victor and his men...he soon decides...No More!

Class of 1999 (Mark L. Lester, 1989): A role reversal, sci-fi version of his own Class of 1984, Lester pits two rival gangs, who ultimately must unite, to take out three new teachers who have been causing a gang war between the two gangs...there's just one little problem: these three teachers were once military androids!

Class of 1999 Part II: The Substitute (Spiro Razatos, 1994): Sasha Mitchell makes his villain debut as an android teacher who begins killing off students who disobey the system. He begins to harbor feelings for a young female teacher and is investigated by a former military operative.

The Substitute Series (1996-2001): Tom Berenger started it all as Shale, a former mercenary who becomes a substitute teacher when his teacher girlfriend is brutalized by a local high school gang and dispenses justice against the corrupt system. Treat Williams' Thomasson (revealed to be an old friend of Shale) takes over the for the sequels as Thomasson first avenges his brother's death (Part 2), helps the daughter of an old war buddy (Part 3); and takes on an elite military high school force (similar to Dangerously Close - Part 4).

If you like this genre...what are your favorite 'high school violence' films?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

BATTLE ROYALE (2000, Japan)

MY BODYGUARD (1980USA)

ONCE UPON A TIME IN HIGH SCHOOL (2004, South Korea, aka. Spirit of Jeet Kune Do: Once upon a Time in High School)...

Terrifying Girls' High School series (Norifumi Suzuki et. al., 1972-1973)

Pinky violence classics. School girl violence, girl gangs, lesbian sex, bikes, torture, Reiko Ike, Miki Sugimoto... The first two are great, the 3rd and 4th not so good though there's a machine gun scene in the 4th.

- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gO9Wvqr30Xg

The Classroom of Terror (Akihisa Okamoto, 1976)

Badass Yusaku Matsuda stars in one of his best movies as a former boxer turned into a high school teacher. His students are mostly violent youth gang members! Fistfights, rapes and bikes. Actor/rocker/badass Hiroshi Tachi co-stars.

-

Panic in High School (Sogo Ishii & Yukihiro Sawada, 1979)

Punk director Sogo Ishii's remake of his own 8mm short film. Ishii was not pleased with how it turned out as he felt the studio interfered too much, but in reality it's a kick ass film. A high school student breaks under pressure and returns a bit later with a rifle and a bucketful of ammo.

-

Blue Spring (Toshiaki Toyoda, 2001)

Yusaku Matsuda's son Ryuhei Matsuda stars in Toshiaki Toyoda's terrific school violence film. Features an amazing rock soundtrack and one of the most breath taking timelapse scenes in movie history.

-

Lesson of the Evil (Takashi Miike, 2012)

Charming English teacher turns out to be a psycho who's planning to massacre all his students. Stylish and bloody thriller full of pitch black humour.

-

Secret Executioner
Crows Zero (Takashi Miike/2007)

Crows Zero 2 (Takashi Miike/2009)

These immediately came to my mind when I saw the title of the thread. :nerd:

ShaOW!linDude

Tuff Turf to me was a classic!!! My first exposure to Robert Downey, Jr. (who owned me in that flick) and a killer end fight.

Ninja Turf aka LA Streetfighters and My Bodyguard: The Barbarian.

I love Three O'Clock High...it didn't just have a violent fight, but it has some funny moments for its time...like when Jerry tries to seduce his English teacher just to get into detention...and not only did she end up not putting him in detention, she reciprocated that seduction...as Jerry puts it..."It's going to be one of those days". LOL

ShaOW!linDude, did you mean My Schoolmate the Barbarian? Awesome high school fight flick IMO. Samuel Pang should have broken out with his performance of Mantis.

Technically, I could mention Class of Nuke 'Em High, because aside from the sci-fi and horror element, there was some violent fights in the film as well when the Cretins beat up on nerdy fellows and then I liked the bathroom fight scene between gang leader Spike and main character Warren and Spike hits his fist on the walls not once but twice and Warren gets a swirly LOL

ShaOW!linDude
ShaOW!linDude, did you mean My Schoolmate the Barbarian? Awesome high school fight flick IMO. Samuel Pang should have broken out with his performance of Mantis.

Yes, that's the one! My bad for the title mistake.:squigglemouth:

Demolition High (1996) - starred the late Corey Haim as a high schooler whose school is under siege by a band of terrorists. Alan Thicke plays Haim's FBI agent father. Haim's character is revealed to have street smarts and even knows martial arts (he has two fight scenes in the film)

Morgoth Bauglir
Demolition High (1996) - starred the late Corey Haim as a high schooler whose school is under siege by a band of terrorists. Alan Thicke plays Haim's FBI agent father. Haim's character is revealed to have street smarts and even knows martial arts (he has two fight scenes in the film)

I think I saw that one. Reminds me of Toy Soldiers. Also-

Slaughter High- decent horror.

Fist Power- another school hostage movie. Very forgettable.

Slaughter High- decent horror.

Definitely had inventive death scenes...such as the tainted beer that causes one guy's innards to explode and the one girl taking a bath with the water turning into acid. It is sad that the actor who played the killer, Simon Scuddamore, committed suicide shortly after the film was completed.

Hell High - a group of high school punks constantly torture their English teacher in and out of school. When she takes a vacation at her home, they terrorize her more until her repressed childhood memories turn her into a lethal killer who gets back at the punks. It doesn't take place while in school, but has that same notion.

The Faculty - high schoolers against their teachers, who are inhabited by some alien force...kind of like a high school Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

Secret Executioner
The Faculty - high schoolers against their teachers, who are inhabited by some alien force...kind of like a high school Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

Doesn't that one have a cover of Pink Floyd's Another Brick In The Wall on the soundtrack ?

Also, there's at least one horror movie that has students being used as test-subjects by a science teacher. Not sure about the title though.

I think that was Disturbing Behavior..had Katie Holmes, James Marsden, and Nick Stahl.

Then of course, there's Lloys Kaufman's reboot to his own 1986 classic, Return to Nuke Em High. I saw Volume 1 and Volume 2 is supposed to be coming out at the end of the year I believe. Lloyd has the original cut at over three hours and he credits Quentin Tarentino for suggesting he split the film in half...much like his wife, the NY Film Commissioner had suggested 25 years ago, turning the second Toxic Avenger film in two films.

Secret Executioner
I think that was Disturbing Behavior..had Katie Holmes, James Marsden, and Nick Stahl.

No that wasn't it. According to the summary, students were murdered and used for experiments in biology - like dissections and stuff. And there's a chick who thinks something fishy is going on when she notices the people she's "working on" look familiar.

Been awhile since I last bumped into this DVD and I never bought it (could well be some bullshit and you actually end with some bland slasher on the disc)

Secret Executioner

Caught that film again some time ago. It's actually called Anatomy and it's more of a college-based film than a high school film, so I guess it doesn't count.

Great thread!!! These kind of films always take me back to my own school days. Anyway...

School on Fire

Higher Learning

Dangerous Minds

Kids Return

One Eight Seven

Heathers

Gangster High - Korean, overlooked but decent acting by a cast of mostly unknown younger actors.

My Boss, My Hero - Korean gangster goes back to get his High school diploma and has to live through live through his teenage years again.

My Boss, My Teacher - The gangster from My Boss, My Hero goes to college only to be sent back to teach at a High School.

Chingoo/ Friend - Doesn't take place entirely in High School. But it focuses a good chunk of the movie during their High School years.

Legend of Seven Cutter - New kid comes to new high school. Rumor is he was kicked out his last school and it the legendary seven cutter. He seems like too much of a loser to be much of a threat. Rather boring movies with a few funny moments.

Kick the Moon - Gangster goes back to his rural home town. His old rival is now a High school teacher. The high school kids want to make a mark on the world and join the gangster. Gangster is too busy trying to win the heart of his High School crush.

71 Into the Fire - Story of 71 Korean students (mostly High school I think) who volunteer to fight and hold the line for the Southern Army.

Conduct Zero - King of the High school bullies developes a crush on a quiet girl. He tries to win her heart without disappointing his admirers and keeping the #2 bully at bay.

Volcano High - A high school full of kids with super powers and abilities. All looking for a missing scroll of some sort. (Been ages, memory is vague on this one)

Hot Young Bloods - Recent release. The story of rural southern High School in the 80s. Simpler time when Korea was poor and just developing. The school pretty boy just wants to be left alone and get with every girl on his list. However, a local bully keeps on getting in his way. His second in command is a she, who is in love with the pretty boy. Pretty boy wants none of it, he just want the new girl from Seoul. Violence, chaos, love, angst, more violence, and heartbreak.

Beat - Korean 1997. Two high school friends take two different paths. From the economic boom after the 1988 Olympics in Seoul to the IMF currency crisis of 1997. Two people left behind from the riches that poured into the country until the bust. They try to fit into High School and society. One chooses the path of the gangster, the other tries his best to stay on the straight and narrow.

Never seen nor heard a lot of these films mentioned. I really enjoyed The Faculty and Disturbing Behaviour when I watched them many many years ago.

Sunny - Korean 2011. A dying woman asks a friend to reunite High School friends who've drifted apart. Most of the movie takes place as a flashback to their High School days during the 80s. And yes, there is some violence.

Archived