Captain America: Civil War (2016)

AlbertV

I'm starting up a thread for the next installment of the Captain America film series. Here is what has been confirmed:

CONFIRMED

Joe and Anthony Russo are returning to helm the film after the success of Winter Soldier

Chris Evans, of course, is back as Steve Rogers/Captain America

Sebastian Stan is back as Bucky Barnes/The Winter Soldier

Anthony Mackie is back as Sam Wilson/The Falcon

POSSIBLE

Frank Grillo may be returning as Brock Rumlow, who will undergo a change and become Crossbones.

Scarlett Johansson may return as Natasha Romanoff/The Black Widow

Jeremy Renner may make an appearance as Clint Barton/Hawkeye

RUMORED

This may be the final Captain America installment for Chris Evans. As everyone has heard, when his Marvel contract is up, Evans plans to take a break from acting and focus on directing. This may be written to cause Steve Rogers to pass the "mantle" of Captain America to someone else.

The Russo Brothers are planning to once again, "up the ante" with this next installment. They will announce the film's subtitle in the upcoming weeks.

Shooting begins in Atlanta in April 2015 for a release date of May 6, 2016.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Drunken Monk

I don't think Falcon added much to the second film. He was fine, but I'm not chomping at the bit to see him again.

The Russos have also said that they're massive Secret Wars fans and would love to do a massive crossover with lots of characters.

Secret Executioner
I don't think Falcon added much to the second film. He was fine, but I'm not chomping at the bit to see him again.

The one I could definitely do without is Hawkeye - I liked Falcon in the second film, but Hawkeye is IMO pretty useless when you have a God (Thor) and a unstoppable giant monster (The Hulk) in your ranks.

Noelle Shadow Kick

RUMORED

This may be the final Captain America installment for Chris Evans. As everyone has heard, when his Marvel contract is up, Evans plans to take a break from acting and focus on directing. This may be written to cause Steve Rogers to pass the "mantle" of Captain America to someone else.

Yes, he has a six movie contract. So with Captain America 1-3 and Avengers 1 and 2, it would seem like Avengers 3 would fulfill the contract. I have no problem with the passing of the mantle (Bucky seems like the obvious option, and I think would be great) but REALLY REALLY hope they don't kill him off. These movies are light hearted in general, and the Cap character has been through enough in his life. He's the one who's the most "heroic" (in the sense that he's a "good" guy) and certainly deserves a happy ending. Please don't kill him off, I'll cry haha.

masterofoneinchpunch

Like the comic books I think The Falcon will become the next Captain America.

I'm really looking forward to this, but wary because of how often the third film is a let down. But still would like to see more of Chris Evans before he takes a short hiatus. I'm sure he will be back to acting regardless of what he says now. Maybe he will like being a director though? Maybe he will do independent films with an influence of Bergman starring a short guy with glasses?

Like the comic books I think The Falcon will become the next Captain America.

I'm really looking forward to this, but wary because of how often the third film is a let down. But still would like to see more of Chris Evans before he takes a short hiatus. I'm sure he will be back to acting regardless of what he says now. Maybe he will like being a director though? Maybe he will do independent films with an influence of Bergman starring a short guy with glasses?

Well, his directorial debut comes out later this year, a rom-com called "Before We Go" and he had such fun doing it, he would like to direct again. Remember, he's not retiring from acting. He's just taking a little break so he could direct another movie.

I'm wondering what tricks the Russo Brothers and screenwriters Markus and McFeely will churn out this time around.

masterofoneinchpunch
Well, his directorial debut comes out later this year, a rom-com called "Before We Go" and he had such fun doing it, he would like to direct again. Remember, he's not retiring from acting. He's just taking a little break so he could direct another movie...

I was going by what he had stated in a Variety article:

Evans recently made news when he said he plans a short break from acting after his Marvel run ends, but now, he tells Variety, he wants to retire from being in front of the camera. “If I’m acting at all, it’s going to be under Marvel contract, or I’m going to be directing,” he says. “I can’t see myself pursuing acting strictly outside of what I’m contractually obligated to do.”

ShaOW!linDude

Well, if Steve Rogers is written out so that the shield of Capt. America passes to someone else in CA3, and it is scheduled for release prior to AVENGERS 3, seems like they're creating a problem for themselves. It's like Evans is coming in 1 film under obligation. I'm not saying that's what's happening. It just doesn't make sense to write out Evan's character prior to the 6th film he's contracted for.

Secret Executioner
Well, if Steve Rogers is written out so that the shield of Capt. America passes to someone else in CA3, and it is scheduled for release prior to AVENGERS 3, seems like they're creating a problem for themselves. It's like Evans is coming in 1 film under obligation. I'm not saying that's what's happening. It just doesn't make sense to write out Evan's character prior to the 6th film he's contracted for.

My guess is there's been a misunderstanding somewhere - as Noelle pointed out, this (CA3) is to be the last Captain America title with Chris Evans and Avengers 3 will see the end of it all (Chris Evan as Steve Rogers as Cap). Or they could have CA3 see Rogers retire and Avengers 3 could have the new Cap remembering his mentor through flashbacks (thus having Evans in the picture).

Either way I hope they don't blow it, but the guys who helm these films seem to know what they are doing - IMO, the end of Rogers as Cap will probably create some buzz as soon as the film premieres.

Since the MCU seems to be following a great deal of The Ultimates' Universe, Cap 3 may have them bringing Bucky back from what he's been through. Avengers 3 may have Cap "sacrificing" himself, against Thanos in the culmination of The Infinity Gauntlet story arc...

This would lead to Cap lifting Mjlnor, which is supposedly hinted at in Avengers 2.

Secret Executioner
Since the MCU seems to be following a great deal of The Ultimates' Universe, Cap 3 may have them bringing Bucky back from what he's been through. Avengers 3 may have Cap "sacrificing" himself, against Thanos in the culmination of The Infinity Gauntlet story arc...

This would lead to Cap lifting Mjlnor, which is supposedly hinted at in Avengers 2.

Honestly, Cap being killed in combat would be the most logical end for him - Captain America is supposed to be a fearless warrior, someone who never gives up and puts his life at risk for what he stands for.

I'm not familiar with the Ultimates series TBH, but I'd be curious to see how/why would Cap get to lift Mjolnir. :ooh:

Noelle Shadow Kick

I'm not familiar with the Ultimates series TBH, but I'd be curious to see how/why would Cap get to lift Mjolnir. :ooh:

In general it's considered canon that Cap can lift Mjolnir. You have to be "worthy" to pick it up, and who is more worthy than Cap? His whole schtick is that he's a good man. :angel:

Shooting Begins Tomorrow!!!!

It has been confirmed that Baron Zemo and Crossbones will be the villains of the film. Daniel Bruhl will play Zemo and Frank Grillo will return after Winter Soldier to play Crossbones.

Possible concept art, which would mean both Cap and Iron Man get new suits

captain-america-3-art.png

and it was announced that Bilbo Baggins himself, Martin Freeman, has joined the cast in an unspecified role.

Noelle Shadow Kick
Possible concept art, which would mean both Cap and Iron Man get new suits

captain-america-3-art.png

and it was announced that Bilbo Baggins himself, Martin Freeman, has joined the cast in an unspecified role.

They always get new suits for each movie. Sells more toys!

And man, I love Martin Freeman. Really cool that he'll be in this.

Secret Executioner

Nice concept artwork, I like the idea of re-using the clash between Cap' and Iron Man from the original storyline in this.

They always get new suits for each movie. Sells more toys!

Exactly what I was about to say (though for one action figure faithful to the original, you get like a few dozen repaints). :tongue:

Official Cast was announced today!!!

Chris Evans as Steve Rogers/Captain America

Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark/Iron Man

Scarlet Johansson as Natasha Romanoff/Black Widow

Sebastian Stan as Bucky Barnes/Winter Soldier

Anthony Mackie as Sam Wilson/Falcon

Don Cheadle as Jim Rhodes/War Machine

Elizabeth Olson as Wanda Maximoff/Scarlet Witch

Chadwick Boseman as T'Challa/Black Panther

Paul Rudd as Scott Lang/Ant-Man

Paul Bettany as The Vision

Jeremy Renner as Clint Barton/Hawkeye

William Hurt is officially returning to the role of General Thaddeus "Thunderbolt" Ross, whom he played in The Incredible Hulk. Martin Freeman has joined in an unspecified role (speculation are saying the character is an interrogator named Everett Ross). Emily VanCamp is returning as Kate/Agent 13 from Winter Soldier.

The villains are Baron Zemo, played by Daniel Bruhl and Brock Rumlow/Crossbones, reprised by Frank Grillo from Winter Soldier.

Secret Executioner

Shouldn't they have made this an Avengers film ? I mean, you get almost all the Avengers (minus Thor and the now lost Hulk that is), te new comer Ant-Man will be featured and the new Avengers rooster hinted at in the end of Age Of Ultron will be here too.

Interesting they're bringing Black Panther in too.

Funny you said that GHW, here's the official synopsis:

"Captain America: Civil War" picks up where "Avengers: Age of Ultron" left off, as Steve Rogers leads the new team of Avengers in their continued efforts to safeguard humanity. After another international incident involving the Avengers results in collateral damage, political pressure mounts to install a system of accountability and a governing body to determine when to enlist the services of the team. The new status quo fractures the Avengers while they try to protect the world from a new and nefarious villain.

You can call this...Avengers 2.5 :wink:

Secret Executioner
Funny you said that GHW, here's the official synopsis:

"Captain America: Civil War" picks up where "Avengers: Age of Ultron" left off, as Steve Rogers leads the new team of Avengers in their continued efforts to safeguard humanity. After another international incident involving the Avengers results in collateral damage, political pressure mounts to install a system of accountability and a governing body to determine when to enlist the services of the team. The new status quo fractures the Avengers while they try to protect the world from a new and nefarious villain.

You can call this...Avengers 2.5 :wink:

Looks like it is...

On a sidenote, I have a feeling the story arc could be too big for one film and seeing the concept art gives equal focus to Cap' and Iron Man... Maybe Iron Man 4 (or should I say Iron Man: Civil War ?) could be the second part of this story ? :nerd:

Here is Frank Grillo's return to the franchise as the one now called Crossbones

Frank-Grillo-Brock-Rumlow-Crossbones-Scars-Captain-America-Civil-War.jpg

28DD743C00000578-3087170-image-m-45_1432056460032.jpg

Grillo already has completed his scenes for the film, including a fistacuffs with Cap himself. He wrapped up over the weekend and will now focus on season 2 of his MMA drama Kingdom for DirecTV.

Well, six actors have made the final cut and one will play Spider-Man, who has been confirmed will appear in the film. Whoever is cast will begin his scenes in June before he goes into his own movie. Here are the final six contenders to play Peter Parker:

Asa Butterfield

Tom Holland

Matthew Lintz

Charlie Rowe

Charlie Plummer

Judah Lewis

Butterfield was rumored to have been in official negotiations, but he along with the five have screen tested and an announcement is expected shortly.

And it's now down to three:

Asa Butterfield is officially out of the running. It's down to:

Tom Holland (the favorite by Sony)

Charlie Plummer

Matthew Lintz

Holland is the frontrunner, but we will see what happens. Whoever wins the role will play Spider-Man in Captain America: Civil War

7bkD6q.jpg

Team Captain America: Ant-Man, Hawkeye, Agent 13, Captain America, Falcon, Winter Soldier

rsSka2.jpg

Team Iron Man: War Machine, Black Widow, Iron Man, Black Panther, Vision

Archived