Anyone Here See MEN OF THE DRAGON (1974)?

ThunderScore

ThunderScore

This was a 1974 ABC Movie Of The Week shot entirely in Hong Kong. Robert Ito, Jared Martin and Katie Saylor starred. IIRC, it was never officially released on home video...

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NoKUNGFUforYU

Wow, now we are going way back! Saw it when it was first on TV. A made for TV Enter the Dragon ripoff. I am pretty sure the leads knew very, very little martial arts. I think the Ohara villain gets killed by a spear hand that we are to imagine goes right through his heat at the end.

Secret Executioner
26W2k7GU6n0

Ripoff of The Dragon

:xd:

WTF did I just watch ?! If the whole film is on par with this, then it must be really really bad... :squigglemouth:

Yeah... I've combed the net for fight scene footage and can't find any... Horrible movie. I saw it when it aired back in 74.

NoKUNGFUforYU

David Chow, the short term fight coordinator for Kung Fu, directed the fights. He was a judo guy and knew very little kung fu. He was replaced by Kam Yuen, a legit preying mantis master.

Both sucked. Their choreography was so choppy and unrefined, they make Chuck Norris' films of the late 70's look like classics.

Lee never got the chance to direct choreograhy for other talented MA's in projects for others... Wonder what it may have looked like? :angel:

NoKUNGFUforYU
Both sucked. Their choreography was so choppy and unrefined, they make Chuck Norris' films of the late 70's look like classics.

Lee never got the chance to direct choreograhy for other talented MA's in projects for others... Wonder what it may have looked like? :angel:

Well, they had to both work with David Carradine, who, I was told, used to take acid and "act". I remember looking at his autobiography and he mentioned Kung Fu as little as possible. Such a hack, him and his dad. I never saw Yuen in action, only photo's. He looked like a hippy, basically. Still, as little as it was, it was an improvement over Chow. Who knows, though, Chow might have been better at Judo, etc.

sifu iron perm

I caught this on tv in the mid 80's, the blind fold fight scene has always been kept in my memory.

I have a TV rip on DVD of this. I think I'm gonna watch it to see if it is as bad as I remember it was back in the 70s! May have a few drinks before....

I sat down and watched this... I have to state that there were no surprises - It was pretty much what I'd expect from a 1974 Martial Arts themed film at a time when ENTER THE DRAGON and TV's KUNG FU were the only available sources to draw from. There were some cool things tho... the HK locations; Oscar winner Elmer Bernstein's score; the casting of DR. NO's Joseph Wiseman (no doubt the inspiration for ETD's Mr. Han Man) as the lead villain.

Most of the dialogue was post synched. Jared Martin's voice sounded strange, as tho he were dubbed by someone else - I'm still not sure. I know I heard James Hong's distinctive voice coming from at least two characters. I did draw comfort from the familiar sound effects that were used in A LOT of 70s TV and Films, including ENTER THE DRAGON.

Yes, the MA skills of the three leads aren't that great, tho Katie Saylor certainly looked more limber than the others - perhaps she was also a dancer? There's an excessive amount of screeching from all participants, which got old very fast. Really hope this gets a legit video release and I'd certainly welcome a CD release of the Bernstein score. Come to think of it, I'd like to see all of the ABC MOVIE OF THE WEEK titles released complete with the Burt Bacharach opening title music...

Archived