Celestial Concentrate on Downloads

David Rees

After asking on there Facebook page about possible future Blu ray releases in Hong Kong and elsewhere i was optimistic that some would be released as they said they were working on it.

But after asking for an update i got this reply...

Pretty focused on digital distribution currently. Check out the available catalog (with more being added all the time) at www.itunes.com/shawbrothers

I have commented on how disappointed i am about this, why are all companies pushing for digital downloads now when you cannot get the same quality as a HD Blu ray disc and i read a survey that most people would still prefer to buy physical media.

Perhaps if some of you feel the same way they can also go onto the facebook page and register there disgust.

https://www.facebook.com/ShawBrothersUniverse?fref=nf

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Crap! That is some sucky news. I was really wanting some blu rays of these films. I really think that if we are going to be forced to HD downloads then they should have to just provide a way that we can burn our purchases onto a disc for longer term storage. :tinysmile_angry2_t:

hi ---- i'm on their facebook site all the time hounding them for dvd releases of the rest of the lost english dubbed shaws and i usually get the same answer as you . unfortunately still even waiting for them to show up on itunes let alone on disc . i'm hopping that some of the lost dubs show up on the el ray network and some one makes copies available .

It'd be nice if they made the films available somewhere else besides itunes. Amazon/Play/whatever, some of us don't do apple.

I have commented on how disappointed i am about this, why are all companies pushing for digital downloads now when you cannot get the same quality as a HD Blu ray disc and i read a survey that most people would still prefer to buy physical media.

https://www.facebook.com/ShawBrothersUniverse?fref=nf

It's simple - it's money. Companies can charge the same for a digital version as a physical one and they don't have to pay for manufacturing, shipping, percentage to the store, etc.

I'm not sure which survey you read, but physical media is probably on its way out, at least in a mass market sense. Just go any major retailer and see how little space they are devoting to it versus five or ten years ago, much less to any genre specific or foreign titles which is usually limited to a handful of titles if any.

We have a generation of people growing up who are used to streaming movies on small tablet or phone screens - they really don't care if old kung fu movies are in perfect 1080p.

theThirdMaster

I'm not totally against digital, but I'm not purchasing movies with DRM restrictions. When they are DRM free (like music) I'll consider it.

On a side note, has anyone bought any? What filesize, resolution, etc. are these iTunes releases?

RogueWarrior

4 Shaw BD's were just released in Germany. I will let you figure out the titles. One was previously released tho.

More BD's are being released.

I've mixed feelings about this. Sometimes the download will have the potential to be the 'best' released version.

For example the Dragon Dynasty blu of 36th Chamber is a horrible 1080i mess. So an HD download *could've* been the best version available. Superior to DVD anyway. Unfortunately the iTunes version looks like the wrong language - Cantonese not Mandrin (and a horrible remix too)

I guess there will be the odd release that gets it right

i read a survey that most people would still prefer to buy physical media.

Obviously that "most people" is not enough to make enough profit from physical media..Disappointing but very logical decision from celestial.

4 Shaw BD's were just released in Germany. I will let you figure out the titles. One was previously released tho.

More BD's are being released.

True, but sadly all without English subtitles or dubs so no use for the majority in the UK.

RogueWarrior
True, but sadly all without English subtitles or dubs so no use for the majority in the UK.

You are missing the point. They ARE releasing more on BD.

a five movie BLU RAY set was recently released that was rumored to have english dubs but so far as i know nobody has been able to confirm it. the set included FIVE FINGERS OF DEATH, SHAOLIN HANDLOCK, KUNG FU INSTRUCTOR, 8 DIAGRAM POLE FIGHTER and SENTIMENTAL SWORDSMAN. this would be a must buy if they all had the dubs. i believe that BOXER FROM SHANTUNG is getting a blu ray release there as well but no news if the dub is included.

post-61-144191901647_thumb.jpg

Secret Executioner
As far as i know and according to Amazon listings no English dub or subs on this box set.

There's weird stuff going on with German boxsets it seems. The boxsets usually feature movies you can find on their own. Yet the individual releases and the boxsets have different information.

Another boxset is the Shaw Brothers Classics DVD set, which contains 6 movies - The Five Venoms, The Water Margin, Legend Of The Bat, Clans Of Intrigue, The Twelve Gold Medallions and The Chinese Boxer. A set with a basic art but some nice content

511fABg7lOL.jpg

This is listed as having only one German dub, yet the individual releases have 2 Mandarin and 2 German dubs (Dolby Digital 2.0 and Dolby Digital 5.1)... And apparently the individual BD have English subs, but not the DVDs. (insert smiley implying this is a freaking headache)

I asked for Cat vs Rat release on itunes and they said it wasn't in there future plans,so i can't even get the digital version on there.:sad: They have quite a few on there, so i thought it be no problem. Oh well, so maybe us bugging them might help some, I would prefer blu ray as well.

Archived