The Expendables 4 (20??) - To be Set in Asia & Featuring Jackie Chan?

OpiumKungFuCracker

OpiumKungFuCracker

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/jackie-chan-talks-expendables-4-rush-hour-4-1201284471/

“Sly (Stallone) wants me for ‘Expendables 4,'” he told Den of Geek earlier this week. “I said, ‘okay.’ Because they already asked me to be in two and three, but I refused. Well, I didn’t refuse, but I said, ‘Sly, can’t we just do you and me? Not just a bunch of people and me only coming out for five minutes.'”

A Sly and Chan duo as the lead would be a huge boost for action cinema in Hollywood.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Phantom Dreamer

A Sly and Chan duo as the lead would be a huge boost for action cinema in Hollywood.

30 years ago. Expendables 3 bombed at the box office. The franchise is done.

Secret Executioner
30 years ago. Expendables 3 bombed at the box office. The franchise is done.

Yeah, guess if a movie where half the main cast is nobodies with names sounding like the fake names in the credits of a Filmark movie can't be a success, I'm sure a movie with fewer actors and big stars (Sly, Chan and maybe a few others as the baddies) couldn't work better.

Drunken Monk
Based on what? It was no. 1 at the box office in a lot of countries.

The total worldwide box office so far is $41,408,158. Wikipedia estimates the total budget as

$90 million...which probably means it cost about $110 million.

Add a two and a half multiplier for marketing and such and you have $220 million. So, it's made roughly 20% of its expenditure back. That's not too good.

The total worldwide box office so far is $41,408,158. Wikipedia estimates the total budget as

$90 million...which probably means it cost about $110 million.

Add a two and a half multiplier for marketing and such and you have $220 million. So, it's made roughly 20% of its expenditure back. That's not too good.

After 1 week, when it still hasn't opened in many countries...

US media has a tendency to forget that :

a) There's a world outside America (they even have movie theatres there... which count for up to 80% for the box office)

B) Theatres count for 50% or less of the total

c) There are still screenings after the opening weekend

I remember when Expendables 2 opened they also reported it bombed at the box office. And look, it went on to make over 300 million in theaters alone, so we can estimate the total would be somewhere around 600 or 700 million after DVD/BD, VoD, TV etc. It was so succesful they made another sequel.

They also said Pacific Rim bombed, when it eventually went on to make over 400 million in theatres (probably around 800 million total with home video etc.). So popular they're doing a sequel now.

Or Prometheus. Another "flop" which made so much profit they're now working on a sequel....

Now, I'm not saying Expendables 3 is going to be a big hit, probably not even as successful as the previous two, but it's way too early to jump into conclusions.

I remember when Expendables 2 opened they also reported it bombed at the box office. And look, it went on to make over 300 million in theaters alone, so we can estimate the total would be somewhere around 600 or 700 million after DVD/BD, VoD, TV etc. It was so succesful they made another sequel.

I'm pretty sure EX3 will end up being a bomb. Per boxofficemojo: "The Expendables 3 opened in fourth place with $15.9 million, which is off a massive 45 percent from The Expendables 2's debut." As you can see, this is a significant drop-off from the last movie. And unfortunately, it's all about opening weekend totals for movie studios.

Sure, it can go on to make some money worldwide, but $16 million is a poor start. Being number 1 at the box office in other countries has only brought to $41 million so far. Seems to me that this will end up well below studio expectations for a big action movie.

Pacific Rim was a rare (from my understanding) case where Hollywood greenlit a sequel solely because of the massive overseas success. Prometheus cost way less than PR and made more domestic (about the same total worldwide) so that one didn't surprise me.

masterofoneinchpunch
...Pacific Rim was a rare (from my understanding) case where Hollywood greenlit a sequel solely because of the massive overseas success. Prometheus cost way less than PR and made more domestic (about the same total worldwide) so that one didn't surprise me.

For those interested Budget/BO details to piggyback off of massa's post:

Prometheus did quite well in non-US compared to US (276,877,385 to 126,477,084 for a 403M total) as well as Pacific Rim (309,200,000 to 101,802,906 for a 411M total). Budget was 130M to 190M so definitely a difference there. But I can easily see why sequels were greenlit.

Doesn't look good so far for Expendables 3, but still far to early as Takuma states. I plan to see it next week.

In reference to your reference, Burn Hollywood Burn (aka An Alan Smithee Film) would be the last movie Stallone would make before his 10+ year dry period in Hollywood (within this time range, he made nothing but straight-to-video flicks, theatrical duds and co-starring roles). In a way, his decline started with this film, because despite its impressive cast (for the time), it went straight-to-video. The big deal was "Jackie and Sly in a movie! No way!"... but the result was one of the biggest disappointments ever.

Then in 2006 Sly jumped back in by writing and directing both Rocky and Rambo and is now back in the Hollywood game! It's like time repeating itself. He took another gamble with Rocky (just as he did with the original) and killed it.

I think he blamed Cop Land (his last theatrical film) for some odd reason, which is funny. Because it's one of Stallone's best films ever.

I watch both cuts of Rambo (2008) over the weekend and I'm so pumped up for Rambo V. Rambo (2008) is easily one of the best action films since Die Hard.

Despite Expendables 3′s box office belly flop – due to the film’s online leakage, says Lionsgate – Sylvester Stallone remains optimistic about the future of his popular action franchise. In fact, he’s already laying out plans for the 4th installment.

Here’s what Stallone told CCTV: “As we go on, we will continue to add more stars, more personalities, more athletes, more individuals around the world, not just Americans… hopefully, we’ll be able to film in Asia very soon.”

Stallone also mentions the possible addition of Jackie Chan, who has been linked to the franchise since the original Expendables : “We’ve always wanted to use Jackie Chan. The only reason we didn’t is because there really wasn’t a part big enough for him, because we had so many actors. But in the next one, we are going to reduce the actors, and let’s just say, expand the screen time of each star.”

Limited cast in an Asian setting? I'm there.

Awesome! All we need now is for him to convince John Woo or Gareth Evans to direct and it'll be the best in the series!

OpiumKungFuCracker

Jackie Chan is taking the time-out to consult his own son due to marijuana drug bust. I don't think Chan will be available for part 4. You can blame his dumbass son Jaycee for that. Marijuana bust, are you serious? What is he in high school? If you're over 30 and you still smoke pot, I have a message for you. GROW THE FUCK UP!!!!! DO SOME LUDES LIKE AN ADULT!!! MARIJUANA DON'T MAKE ME LAUGH!!!

Jackie Chan is taking the time-out to consult his own son due to marijuana drug bust. I don't think Chan will be available for part 4. You can blame his dumbass son Jaycee for that. Marijuana bust, are you serious? What is he in high school? If you're over 30 and you still smoke pot, I have a message for you. GROW THE FUCK UP!!!!! DO SOME LUDES LIKE AN ADULT!!! MARIJUANA DON'T MAKE ME LAUGH!!!

lol I quite smoking ages ago, but I was still going to give you sh*t about what you said, but your last line made me laugh!

Awesome! All we need now is for him to convince John Woo or Gareth Evans to direct and it'll be the best in the series!

No offense to John Woo, but judging from his Hollywood track record, I'd rather see Stallone direct again. Hard Boiled, Killer and A Better Tomorrow aside, Stallone makes a better action movies than Woo. Not that I wouldn't be super curious to see what Woo would churn out. I would love to see Mel Gibson or John Mctiernan have a go as well. And of course, Evans would be awesome, too!

But all these directors are usless if they're going to play the PG-13 card again.

masterofoneinchpunch
...No offense to John Woo, but judging from his Hollywood track record, I'd rather see Stallone direct again. Hard Boiled, Killer and A Better Tomorrow aside, Stallone makes a better action movies than Woo. Not that I wouldn't be super curious to see what Woo would churn out. I would love to see Mel Gibson or John Mctiernan have a go as well. And of course, Evans would be awesome, too!

But all these directors are usless if they're going to play the PG-13 card again.

Stallone has only directed 8 films (with four being Rocky films) with the last being The Expendables which is overly reliant on shaky-cam action. Woo's Red Cliff is one of my favorite films of the past ten years (counting the two as one) and has actions scenes that are sublime. It is a film that I think satisfied many doubters who were thinking that Woo was over-the-hill.

I like Stallone and I will always support his films, but I just cannot agree with this statement especially with an unfettered Woo (which is unlikely though).

Mel Gibson would be a good approach. He has a great sense of story and visuals. He is an underrated filmmaker.

Stallone has only directed 8 films (with four being Rocky films) with the last being The Expendables which is overly reliant on shaky-cam action. Woo's Red Cliff is one of my favorite films of the past ten years (counting the two as one) and has actions scenes that are sublime. It is a film that I think satisfied many doubters who were thinking that Woo was over-the-hill.

I love when people disagree! That's what makes this place fun. I really think in the context of it being The Expendables, and not an epic, Chinese-made, battle film like Red Cliff, Stallone would still be the man for the job (over Woo, at least). With that said, I don’t even think Stallone’s best action directing isn’t Expendables, it’s Rambo 4, which is easily one of the best of the last 10+ years. I’m still haunted by a lot of woo's Hollywood work as a whole (with the exception of Face/Off, which I haven’t seen since the day it was released).

I’m sure Woo still has some juice in him, but it seems like every time they throw him in a Hollywood-based, popcorn action flick, they tend to end up being laughable when compared to the work he’s critically acclaimed for.

Don’t get me wrong, if Woo announced he was directing Expendables, I’d be the first in line. But with a tighter script, less characters and more heart, I'd rather see what Stallone (or Mel) would pump out.

Don't forget, Stallone directed Staying Alive. Now that's action!

Mel Gibson would be a good approach. He has a great sense of story and visuals. He is an underrated filmmaker.

Totally. He's also an underrated human being.

Secret Executioner

Less actors and more focus on each persona is what the franchise needs. And a good action director too, the shaky cam is annoying and ruins everything - along with the quick angle switches and the sometimes weird focus.

Personally, I'd kill a baby koala to see a John Woo-directed Expendables. And scaling things back, cast-wise, would be a good decision. I haven't seen the third one yet because A.) I don't know if I'm willing to pay to see it in a theater after the first two, and B.) the cast is so fucking BLOATED. It's getting ridiculous. I'm all for seeing Wesley back on the big screen, but they really need to shrink these casts. Lose the kids (I'm calling 'em kids - they're older than I am), a couple of the originals, keep Snipes, and bring in Jackie and a director who's used to handling this sort of thing. Woo would be awesome, as would McTiernan (that is, if he brings his A-game - Rollerball was a ball of barf). Shane Black won't do it, but he'd nail it.

Personally, I'd kill a baby koala to see a John Woo-directed Expendables.

LMAO! Wondering if McTiernan still has some juice left.

Archived