Tazza: The Hidden Card (2014) - Sequel to 'Tazza: The High Rollers'

One Armed Boxer

One Armed Boxer

This year will bring us the sequel to 2006's 'Tazza: The High Rollers'. The original, directed by Choi Dong-hoon who brought us 'The Thieves', see's the reigns being handed over to Kang Hyeong-cheol, who previously directed the comedies 'Speedy Scandal' & 'Sunny'.

While it looks like the sequel has both Yoo Hae-jin & Kim Yoon-seok back on board from the original, lead actor Jo Seung-woo is replaced by Big Bang member Choi Seung-hyeon (who has thankfully dropped using his Big Bang alias, T.O.P., and was most recently seen in 'The Commitment'). There's also no sign of Kim Hye-soo in the follow up which is a shame.

Without the direction of Dong-hoon I don't have high hopes for this, and the trailer doesn't particularly excite either. Korea usually doesn't fare well with sequels, 'Friend 2' being the most recent example, but we'll see how it looks once the reviews come in after its release in September. In the meantime, for those who haven't seen it, 'Tazza: The High Rollers' is a classic and well worth a watch.

GfmNj67o1ww

tazza2.jpg

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Geez, I saw TAZZA: THE HIGH ROLLERS at a film festival in 2006 and really enjoyed it. But every time I'd mention it I would be greeted with blank stares as it seems no one else has seen it.

The filmmakers are taking the Robert Rodriguez approach to waiting way too long before making a sequel, eh?

Not only have I not seen 'Tazza: The High Rollers', I've never even heard of it. Do I need to see the first one in order to enjoy the second one?

One Armed Boxer
Geez, I saw TAZZA: THE HIGH ROLLERS at a film festival in 2006 and really enjoyed it. But every time I'd mention it I would be greeted with blank stares as it seems no one else has seen it.

Not only have I not seen 'Tazza: The High Rollers', I've never even heard of it. Do I need to see the first one in order to enjoy the second one?

Wow, I'd always been under the impression that 'Tazza' was one of the more mainstream Korean movies that had broke out into the international markets, but judging by KFB & QueMuchita's comments, I guess not!

QueMuchita- The second one hasn't hit Korean cinemas yet, so it's currently impossible to say, however just going off the trailer alone, it doesn't look close to being on par with the original, which is a great movie.

The original is directed by Choi Dong-hoon, who brought us the 2012 blockbuster 'The Thieves', as well as 'The Big Swindle' back in 2003 and 'Woochi: The Taoist Wizard' in 2009. It has a great cast which includes Jo Seung-woo ('The Sword with No Name'), Kim Hye-soo ('The Thieves') and Kim Yoon-seok ('The Chaser', 'The Yellow Sea'), of which it looks like only Yoon-seok is returning for the sequel.

Definitely worth checking out!

One Armed Boxer
A friend of mine lent me a copy of the first one today, hopefully I'll get around to watching it over the weekend.

Your friend has good taste!:xd: Look forward to you weighing in with your thoughts once you've seen it! Think of the old school Hong Kong gambling movies given a slick modern Korean twist, and you'll be in for a good time!

Archived