Mark Dacascos

DiP

in the wake of the funny and exciting interview done by our beloved Scott Adkins, I was convinced that it was time to recover the vision of: Drive. I've known him forever but I've never seen him. Here in Italy it exists only in a very old and unobtainable vhs. Now I understand why it is a legendary film. It comes before Rush Hour and Mark does everything Adkins will do many years later. Great action scenes, gorgeous.

• Like 5

Recently got the new 4K UHD of Crying Freeman. Looks great and the bonus is even though it's a german release it has english subs for the japanese spoken parts.

• Like 4

Been  a huge fan of Mark Dacascos since i was a kid.  Seeing Only the Strong in theaters before it got pulled out after it's one week release.  I agree Drive is his very best flim he's made but i do enjoy Crying Freeman alot.  Ashame it hasn't had an official US release after 25 years since it's release in 1995 doing so well everywhere else in the world.

Crying-Freeman-1995-1.jpg

• Like 4

Marc Dacascos in 2000's China Strike Force with super kicker Won Jin "The Scorpion King" and US "entertainer" Coolio. Not a great movie, especially it had such talent involved, Marc, Won Jin and Ken Lo, but none were used to their full potential. It would've been great to have had a fight between Marc and Won Jin but instead, Won Jin just gets shot by Coolio, I think Marc says what we're all thinking "Was that necessary?".

death 17.jpg

• Like 2

Haha, I get it.

That being said, one has to wonder what propels Mark to keeping up with these c-grade movies.

• Like 2

Mark was on the Easternkicks podcast discussing Brotherhood of the Wolf with the Studio Canal UHD, blu ray and dvd release of the film to be today.

https://podcast.easternkicks.com/e/episode-48-mark-dacascos-interview-brotherhood-of-the-wolf/

This episode’s handy timecodes

00:00:33 - Introduction
00:02:09 - Highlights from Mark Dacascos's career
00:07:00 - Crying Freeman - Christophe Gans and Dacascos's first collab
00:12:37 - Brotherhood of the Wolf
00:47:46 - Yonah chats to Mark Dacascos
01:05:10 - Outro

Edited by Yihetuan
  • Like 4

Skimmed through Serbian Scars and Maximum Impact. Decent stuff with what he was given but Mark was wasted in those, as usual.

Edited by DiP
  • Like 1

On 8/23/2023 at 12:51 PM, DiP said:

Skimmed through Serbian Scars and Maximum Impact. Decent stuff with what he was given but Mark was wasted in those, as usual.

Wasted in Warrior too. Why have him in it and not do anything with him.

• Like 2

ShaOW!linDude
2 hours ago, PandaPawPaw said:

I'm not caught up on that yet, but I know the fight scene of him and Joe Taslim taking on some goons wasn't lit very well. It was too dark at times to appreciate the action.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, PandaPawPaw said:

Wasted indeed. But Warrior has at least him doing his best work to date unleashing his talents compared to all other stuff he's done in the last and in this decade.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DiP said:

Wasted indeed. But Warrior has at least him doing his best work to date unleashing his talents compared to all other stuff he's done in the last and in this decade.

Yeah his little duel with Joe Taslim was great. One of my fave parts of S3.

• Like 1

New skim-throughs: Nomad: The Warrior, Code Name: The CleanerI Am Omega, One Night in BangkokAssault on VA-33, Blade of the 47 Ronin, and Knights of the Zodiac. Mark does good with what he is offered but gosh, only one or two fight scenes at most? Way too talented and good for few standout moments in general.

• Like 2

Latest skim-through: Hawaii Five-0 (remake of the 1968 TV show). Mark appears in 18 episodes in total, and his role is mainly acting-oriented. But he goes loose in three fight scenes; two of them in season 2 and one in season 5. The action choreography is brutal and uses the shaky-cam style but everything is actually shot and edited much better than what you would think. Overall, I liked his role and action output here.

Edited by DiP
  • Like 2

I received a DVD reissue (released in 2020 by LA Entertainment) of Only the Strong today. In my opinion, it's one of Mark's best movies alongside The Crying Freeman, DriveBrotherhood of the Wolf, and John Wick 3.

Surprisingly, this contains a longer version of the movie that is only available on the French DVD. Several shots of violence -- most notably the first fight scene between Louis and Silverio -- that was previously cut from all other DVD/home video editions are now reinstated. However, there's still a shot of Kerrigan getting kicked in the face by Silverio in the classroom that is removed so it's still not the fully uncut version. However, this reissue release is in NTSC and has the original stereo soundtrack. Hoping for a bluray/4K UHD release in the future.

Edited by DiP
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, DiP said:

I received a DVD reissue (released in 2020 by LA Entertainment) of Only the Strong today. In my opinion, it's one of Mark's best movies alongside The Crying Freeman, Drive, and Brotherhood of the Wolf.

Surprisingly, this contains a longer version of the movie that is only available on the French DVD. Several shots of violence -- most notably the first fight scene between Louis and Silverio -- that was previously cut from all other DVD/home video editions are now reinstated. However, there's still a shot of Kerrigan getting kicked in the face by Silverio in the classroom that is removed so it's still not the fully uncut version. However, this reissue release is in NTSC and has the original stereo soundtrack. Hoping for a bluray/4K UHD release in the future.

That looks good! Gonna have to watch it.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, PandaPawPaw said:

That looks good! Gonna have to watch it.

This is the movie that started the use of Brazilian martial arts Capoeira onscreen.

Edited by DiP
  • Like 3

New skim-through: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Good overall acting role for Mark but otherwise another huge waste of his MA talents. Two fight scenes and both are against veteran actress Ming-Na Wen and some blond actress, which explains the awkward editing style and over-usage of close-ups. What a shame.

• Like 1