Mark Dacascos

DiP

IMO, there's no non-HK MA actor who can move like him. I'd say he ranks up there with Jet Li and Donnie Yen in terms of sheer performance skills and onscreen charisma.

Which of his works are worth checking out beside Drive, Only the Strong and Crying Freeman? I know he also has good fighting moments in Martial Law (the one episode he appeared in) and China Strike Force.

• Like 3

ShaOW!linDude

You must watch Brotherhood of the Wolf, The Base, American Samurai, and Kickboxer 5: Redemption. He was great in the television series The Crow: Stairway to Heaven.

Boogie Boy and Instinct To Kill are alright.

• Like 2

I'm a big fan of his especially because of Drive (the uncut version, not the horrible US version). I won't mention titles that others have posted but I will add Cradle 2 The Grave with Jet Li. Not the best movie in the world, but has some good Dacascos action!

• Like 2

Secret Executioner
Yeah Coolio kind of ruined the movie. But I'd rather have Coolio in movies than The RZA.

i would rather have RJ from no retreat no surrender than the RZA.

Well, considering how horrible (as an actor) RZA is I guess that's not saying much.

You must watch Brotherhood of the Wolf, The Base, American Samurai, and Kickboxer 5: Redemption. He was great in the television series The Crow: Stairway to Heaven.

Boogie Boy and Instinct To Kill are alright.

I often come across some of his films, but I usually let them pass. I think American Samurai is a regular among the cheapies at my usual DVD store and I once found Kickboxer 5.

• Like 1

Morgoth Bauglir

Dacascos is definitely high level. He is good in American Samurai although it's been years since I've seen it. The first episode of The Crow was a good start to the series, but I don't think any of the other episodes are as good. He was awesome in China Strike Force. I know you are looking through his IMDB page DIP and wondering about all those "other" movies, the ones that everyone rates as shit. I used to try and check out as many as I could, but after about five I gave up. They were too painful to watch. The last one was a remake of I am Legend. We'll call it I am Dacascos. It was so boring. It was nothing.

• Like 2

Well, I got word the other day that Mark is shooting a new action film next week in Indonesia I think with Michael Dudikoff. Only found out because Ron Smoorenburg is involved in the production.

• Like 2

ShaOW!linDude

Hasn't Dacascos had a couple of other films over the last couple of years that have just fallen off the radar? What's the deal?

• Like 1

Dacascos was/is an amazing talent but it's really a shame he doesn't have all that many good films to his credit. Drive really should have put him on the map but instead it's just a cult hit amongst us martial arts fans.:squigglemouth:

• Like 1

Hasn't Dacascos had a couple of other films over the last couple of years that have just fallen off the radar? What's the deal?

He's been into TV mostly in recent years. But his new batch of projects are feature films. One of them is the upcoming action film Operation Rogue --- about a US military group aiding the Philippine government's quest to neutralize a local terrorist group (Abu Sayyaf?) --- and it looks interesting.

uIJ5iGda1xw

• Like 1

One Armed Boxer

You're probably thinking of 'Man of Action', the movie which was announced in 2010 and was set to pair Dacascos back up with 'Drive' director Steve Wang and Alpha Stunts team founder Koichi Sakamoto. I think it's safe to say that 4 years on the project probably never got off the ground, which is a great shame.

There was also another movie called 'Song of the Knife', which was said to feature Silat, Kali, & Jeet Kune Do, and had already started filming back in February 2010, but again this one seems to have been left uncompleted.

The thread for 'Song of the Knife' is here -

http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10248

& the original Twitch article that the information was sourced from is here -

http://twitchfilm.com/2010/03/mark-dacascos-returns-to-martial-arts-action-in-song-of-the-knife.html

He was awesome in China Strike Force.

I remember thinking he was severely underused in this movie (& he's still sporting his 'Brotherhood of the Wolf' haircut!), I'm not sure what Stanley Tong was thinking giving the final fight to Coolio instead of Dacascos, but somehow it still worked for me. I confess 'China Strike Force' is a guilty pleasure of mine, and the setting of the final fight alone makes it worthy of a viewing....ShaOW!linDude, any chance of a mini-review for this one?

• Like 1

ShaOW!linDude
You're probably thinking of 'Man of Action', the movie which was announced in 2010 and was set to pair Dacascos back up with 'Drive' director Steve Wang and Alpha Stunts team founder Koichi Sakamoto. I think it's safe to say that 4 years on the project probably never got off the ground, which is a great shame.

There was also another movie called 'Song of the Knife', which was said to feature Silat, Kali, & Jeet Kune Do, and had already started filming back in February 2010, but again this one seems to have been left uncompleted.

The thread for 'Song of the Knife' is here -

http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10248

& the original Twitch article that the information was sourced from is here -

http://twitchfilm.com/2010/03/mark-dacascos-returns-to-martial-arts-action-in-song-of-the-knife.html

I remember these, but a year or so ago there was a still release of MD dropping some dude against a truck with some other fellows standing around. I think he was wearing fatigues. Maybe that's from the film DiP posted a clip from. I tried to view it last night but Youtube said the video was pulled.

I remember thinking he was severely underused in this movie (& he's still sporting his 'Brotherhood of the Wolf' haircut!), I'm not sure what Stanley Tong was thinking giving the final fight to Coolio instead of Dacascos, but somehow it still worked for me. I confess 'China Strike Force' is a guilty pleasure of mine, and the setting of the final fight alone makes it worthy of a viewing....ShaOW!linDude, any chance of a mini-review for this one?

I believe I could most likely in all probability get around to that at some point in the not too distant future...maybe.:wink:

• Like 1

I remember watching an interview about China Strike Force and Wang Leehom saying the kick to the chest he receives from Mark was real contact and he felt it. He mentioned it hurt LOL

Mark had also been busy with Iron Chef America as the Chairman for a while now of course.

Saw him in a small role on an episode of the 1990 FLASH series as a Central City detective who gets beaten up by the episode's villain. He talks to Barry Allen about what had happened.

I think he was also planning a film with Russian action hero Alexander Nevsky on a project. Not sure if there was a done deal or what not.

He also completed a film called BEYOND THE GAME which co-stars Danny Trejo, Kristanna Loken, Eric Roberts.

• Like 1

The question is, what will it be about? I'm pretty sure the main villain and his crew were all put behind bars in the end. Maybe the Jamaicans?

Also, can Mark still do all those acrobatic maneuvers like he did back in the day?

• Like 1

Morgoth Bauglir

I remember thinking he was severely underused in this movie

True, but you have to take what you can get. China Strike Force has his best fighting performance I've seen.

• Like 1

The Amazing Psycho Per

Just rewatched Crying Freeman after many years... I remembered not liking it that much and that feeling got only reinforced from this second viewing. There is no denying Gans is a fan of the genre, as shown by his implication in the HK Video label in France, but I don't think his work as a director cuts it. While his action scenes appear to have style on surface, it's amazing how very little is actualy going on. Mark Dacascos hardly get the chance to show up any of his stuff, despite the many action set pieces. What a waste.

To me the Dacascos case is an enigma. The guy definately has (had?) the moves, but beside Drive, all of the movies he's been in feel like missed opportunities. They're either very bad, featuring little actual martial arts (if any!), or are criminally underusing him and/or his skills.

At his age now, I don't think things will ever pick up. We can only ponder on what when wrong and the things that could've been. Maybe he arrived on the scene in a bad time.

• Like 1

Watched Crying Freeman yesterday and was thoroughly impressed. I would say it's Dacascos' best film in his entire career as far as story/acting goes.

• Like 1

Watched Crying Freeman yesterday and was thoroughly impressed. I would say it's Dacascos' best film in his entire career as far as story/acting goes.

Totally agree...Crying Freeman was definitely one of his best films. He even went on to marry his co-star of the film, Julie Condra, who played Emi. They have three kids together.

• Like 2