More MA, less enjoyment from Venoms.

paimeifist

Not sure if others will have something to say about this, but thanks for the answer - and it's obvious movies where they play minor roles or make mere cameos won't be Venoms films, I was asking as they seem to be main/central characters here.

yah Invincible is a Venoms movie man. If anything, It is considered both a "venoms" and a "shaolin" movie. But I think that generally it is not known as part of Chang Chehs "Shaolin Cycle".

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Secret Executioner
yah Invincible is a Venoms movie man. If anything, It is considered both a "venoms" and a "shaolin" movie. But I think that generally it is not known as part of Chang Chehs "Shaolin Cycle".

Several people, notably Cold Bishop, have stated Invincible Shaolin was NOT a "Shaolin Cycle" film - that said, I too thought it was part of it.

Morgoth Bauglir

What about Brave Archer 3? I say it's a Venoms movie, but I'm not 100% sure. The lead actors are Fu Sheng and Nau Nau. Ching Li and Ti Lung have good roles. But the other leading man is Kwok Choi, and Lo Meng the lead villain. Lu Feng, Chiang Sheng and Sun Chien have small but good roles. And it features a bunch of the "other" Venom actors like Wang Li, Yeung Hung and Ricky Cheng.

Secret Executioner

Having just seen The Five Venoms, I kinda understand what paimeifist means in the first message. It's true the story isn't a big element (the little there isn't even really good or makes sense), but the acting didn't seem that bad as I've seen way worse than those guys.

Concerning the action, it's fun to watch and I won't complain about it, because it's original and well performed - I don't have problems with the acrobatics or strange styles, as long as the execution is convincing.

Personally, I enjoyed the films for the spectacular styles and the creativity.

I realize I was being pretty harsh in my initial post. At the time, I was pretty down from being let down by Crippled Avengers when I rewatched it. With that said, a lot of what I said still holds true for some of their movies. I love Flag of Iron, and really like Five Deadly Venoms, Magnificent Ruffians, and Kid with the Golden Arm.

I am surprised I said none of them were good actors. They're all decent actors at least, and Chiang Sheng is an exceptional actor. The stories do leave a lot to be desired for the most part. Especially when you learn what type of character each actor generally plays.

As far as their fighting goes, some of it is too acrobatic and seems soft. But I am rarely bored when they are wielding weapons. Lo Meng (The Toad) does bring some intensity to their unarmed scenes to counteract the "softness". The finale of Magnificent Ruffians is one of my favorite fight scenes ever. (And it includes some acrobatics, REASONABLE acrobatics.)

As far as the first film goes, I like it a lot. Yes the story is not great, and it is an "unarmed" venoms film; But the distinct magical styles make the fighting kind of fun. The main reason I like this film is because it's so atmospheric though. The overall tone and feel of it makes it easy to be sort of absorbed into the world it creates(to me).

It's ironic that you brought this thread back, because just yesterday I re-reviewed Magnificent Ruffians, check it out!

Edit: GHW, if you want to see a venoms flick with comic-book like characters, check out Kid with a Golden Arm and Flag of Iron!

Secret Executioner
Edit: GHW, if you want to see a venoms flick with comic-book like characters, check out Kid with a Golden Arm and Flag of Iron!

Will check these out. :bigsmile:

Archived