The Weird Kung-Fu Movies Thread

Guest schleg64

1 hour ago, DrNgor said:

From the HKMDB:

"Ape Girl is 30 minutes of excrutiatingly dumb Cantonese comedy, followed by another hour of excrutiatingly dumb Cantonese comedy mixed with some romance and mediocre fight scenes. The inclusion of fighting heavies Lo Lieh and Chen Sing, who just can't seem to keep his shirt on in this one, and some fairly solid choreography keep "Ape Girl" from being a total waste of time."

One Chan Sing film I wont be seeking out anytime soon.

A still from Lady Iron Monkey.

jlk71-2305V81W1MQ-Full-Image_GalleryBack

• Like 1

ShaOW!linDude
18 hours ago, DrNgor said:

From the HKMDB:

"Ape Girl is 30 minutes of excrutiatingly dumb Cantonese comedy, followed by another hour of excrutiatingly dumb Cantonese comedy mixed with some romance and mediocre fight scenes. The inclusion of fighting heavies Lo Lieh and Chen Sing, who just can't seem to keep his shirt on in this one, and some fairly solid choreography keep "Ape Girl" from being a total waste of time."

Hmmm, I don't know if that really helps me. It contradicts itself with the phrases "mediocre fight scenes" and "fairly solid choreography". Which is it? I guess I'd have to judge for myself, and considering it's loaded with "excruciatingly dumb Cantonese comedy", I don't know if I want to do that.

• Like 1

I think I'll pass on Lady Iron Monkey. It sounds like the bad weird movies Tiger Love (A woman raises a kid with the help of a tiger and then the tiger transforms into a witch) and Kung Fu Arts (a princess is married off to a monkey).

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, HyperDrive said:

It sounds like the bad weird movies Tiger Love (A woman raises a kid with the help of a tiger and then the tiger transforms into a witch)

Not to mention the very odd water-sports, that go down in the movie.

• Like 2

The film,  Black Eagle's Blade, has a Midget that involves himself in a Sword fight.  Actually two normal-size men are already fighting against Black Eagle. And then suddenly ,out of the blue, a Midget appears and helps out the two assailants. I should say he tries to help. 

At first, I felt the Midget was out of place in that fight. But then upon watching it a second time, I chuckled.  I wonder if that attitude has happened to any of you others? That is, changing your attitude at a Second viewing.

• Like 1

How did they rope in Don Stroud, Karen Black, Frank Stallone and William Smith, to lend their names to this?. They must have really needed the rent money, that week.

• Like 1

DragonClaws

This is a montage clip from the end of Butterfly Sword, which is the craziest most extreme kung fu movie I've ever seen.

• Like 2

I've seen a couple that confused the hell out of me: 

1- "Half a Loaf of Kung Fu" (1978) An early Jackie Chan movie that I find really bonkers. Pretty fun movie to watch though. 

2- "Fantasy Mission Force" (1983) Another film with Jackie Chan in it. I don't remember much about it, except it being absolutely weird. The one thing that does stick in my mind though, was someone getting killed by having a sword shoved up his butt. I laughed till I cried when  that happened.  :laluot_17::bs_cracking_up:

• Like 2

On 6/14/2019 at 5:45 PM, DragonClaws said:

Beautiful song from Michelle Yeoh, "Love is Like a Shooting Star", the original music video has "Big Tony", Leung Ka--Fai as her lover in it. This was the film that introduced me to Donnie Yen and Michelle Yeoh in 1996 when the now defunct International Channel aired HK films on Saturday evenings. 

• Like 4

NoKUNGFUforYU

I don't remember the name, or who was in it (no one famous) and the fights sucked, but what was weird was that in the middle of the movie the hero (who has escaped from prison to get revenge) meets a preacher that looks like Jesus and converts to Christianity, more or less on the spot. I think he spares the last guy in his hit list and goes to find God or something. Very low budget, it was odd, now that I think of it, that they showed it at a mainly Shaw Brothers theater. Must have been a slow month, or who knows? Usually they would show non Shaw movies like Jackie Chan's Fearless Hyena, or Hot Cool and Vicious. Anyway, if anyone has ever seen it, tell me. Early 70's movie, basher.

• Like 3

DragonClaws
2 hours ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

I don't remember the name, or who was in it (no one famous) and the fights sucked, but what was weird was that in the middle of the movie the hero (who has escaped from prison to get revenge) meets a preacher that looks like Jesus and converts to Christianity, more or less on the spot. I think he spares the last guy in his hit list and goes to find God or something. Very low budget, it was odd, now that I think of it, that they showed it at a mainly Shaw Brothers theater. Must have been a slow month, or who knows? Usually they would show non Shaw movies like Jackie Chan's Fearless Hyena, or Hot Cool and Vicious. Anyway, if anyone has ever seen it, tell me. Early 70's movie, basher.

Got me intrigued with this one, whenever I think of a preacher character. It's Roy Horan in SITES, or the random George Micheal look a like in Evil Destroyer.

9 hours ago, Chu Liu Hsiang said:

BTW, has someone else ever tried the Hopping Vampire Walk? It's good exercise :bs_smile:

Best practiced during the mid-night hour's, in a cemetary. It does wonder's for your calve developement.

• Like 3

NoKUNGFUforYU

Who knows what happened to that movie. Hopefully it disappeared. Besides one odd scene, it was pretty awful.

• Like 1

odioustrident
On 7/16/2019 at 11:49 AM, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

Sounds like Fury in Storm maybe?

• Like 2

NoKUNGFUforYU

nope, he only saw Jesus for a couple of minutes. No name stars. Hopefully a lost movie, LOL! I wanted my time back!!

• Like 1

odioustrident
18 minutes ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

nope, he only saw Jesus for a couple of minutes. No name stars. Hopefully a lost movie, LOL! I wanted my time back!!

Could be Filipino movie then.

• Like 3

NoKUNGFUforYU
4 hours ago, odioustrident said:

Could be Filipino movie then.

No, looked like Taiwan. You have to figure, not everything was committed to VHS, etc. This was a really bad flick.

• Like 2

I took a quick look to the clip of Fury in storm above. What is this movie ?

A priest who kills, steals and rapes ?!

Is he a real priest ?

I think that I'll visit this movie when I'll have a while in order to find out what's going on there...

• Like 1

On 7/16/2019 at 11:49 AM, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

in the middle of the movie the hero (who has escaped from prison to get revenge) meets a preacher that looks like Jesus and converts to Christianity,

I have seen that movie, I just can't remember the name of it.

• Like 1

NoKUNGFUforYU

It's not the Chang Yi film. The conversion is almost instant and the preacher is only in it for a few minutes. Very, very sloppy fights. At the end I think he spares the last guy because of his conversion.

• Like 1

On 7/14/2008 at 11:15 PM, quixote64 said:

I just watched Bat Without Wings today and felt it was worth mentioning here. Seeing Ku Feng with KISS makeup is quite a sight to behold.

Alright, Hong Kong! I'm gonna kick your butt all night!!! And party every day!!! Both Tang Ching and Ku Feng in the make up.

TangChing1-25-b.jpgKuFeng-149-b.jpg

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 2