The Weird Kung-Fu Movies Thread

Guest schleg64

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

The Weird Man (1983) (which took about 35 minutes to start to live up its name.) If you have that kind of patience, it gets utterly bonkers. Cheng Tien-Chi plays the title character and his plucky spirit too. It gets strange and to me LOL funny. 

On a lesser note, but no less wonky, was The Enchantress (1983). Lets say just Lo Lieh has a very inventive way of becoming invisible. 

• Like 1

Ive mentioned this film a lot before but it springs to mind if this kind of topic comes up. Tiger Love, a nice pay check must have been the only reason Lo Lieh appeared in this mess of a film.

One Armed Boxer

i saw one where the main guy turned into a praying mantis,but cant remember what it was called

'Mantis Fists and Tiger Claws of Shaolin' :tongueout - 

• Like 2

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

I think a good chunk of  Legendary Weapons of China (1982) certainly qualifies for weird fu. The Mao Shan clan and the voodoo doll bit were WTH and LOL funny in that order.

Edited by Lady Jin Szu-Yi
  • Like 1

I recommend the lesser-known Shaw Bros film Demon Strike, which stars Jason Pai Piao and Beardy and features Legendary Superkicker Hwang Jang Lee draining the energy out of naked women so he can fire lasers at people. It also makes reference to Mao Shan magic.

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Demon Strike was very weird with the Mao Shan tricks...I understood the villain's need for certain items to  perform his particularly weird magic.  Ah, that was Hwang Jang Lee - no wonder Jason Pai Pao and Leung Kar Yan had a rough time in that battle. 

I'll agree with Miracle Fighters being also being a film for this list too. 

Shaolin Patriot

Anybody interested in seeing Ho Chung-Dao (aka Bruce Li) fighting against kung fu apes?  If so, then see Bruce Lee In New Guinea.

bl-invinc-2.1.jpg

• Like 1

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Indeed. Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricki was completely WTF... so much so, once was plenty for me. 

Indeed. Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricki was completely WTF... so much so, once w Oas plenty for me. 

Ricky 0 is nuts, the gore reminds me of the film Briandead only with added Kung Fu.

Yuen Clan's Miracle Fighters (1982).  So many odd-ball fights.  The puppet show, the soul jar, the stick man.

Haha yeah. The Yuen Clan did several more of these such as Taoism Drunkard with the grape monster and the dude driving the mousemobile.

Anybody interested in seeing Ho Chung-Dao (aka Bruce Li) fighting against kung fu apes?  If so, then see Bruce Lee In New Guinea.

bl-invinc-2.1.jpg

Weren't they also in BRUCE LEE THE INVINCIBLE?

shaolin swords

I never seen  full movie but just saw clips of them and what I saw was some wacked out bugged out stuff some of the weirdest shit I ever seen IN THE HANZO SAMURIA FILMS I remember they where playing one on tv late night I was flicking thru the channels and caught one of his movies he was humping bag of rice and slapping and banging on his private part lol haahaa that's the nices way I can put it well any way that was the wackiest shit I have ever seen and have not had a good night sleep ever since lol haahaaahaaa :smile

One Armed Boxer

Weren't they also in BRUCE LEE THE INVINCIBLE?

bl-invinc-2.1.jpg

Yes, if I remember correctly this shot is actually from 'Bruce Lee the Invincible', not 'Bruce Lee in New Guinea' (which in terms of gorilla action, doesn't rate particularly highly).

Other great appearances by gorillas in kung-fu movies include - 

Shaolin Invincibles

maxresdefault.jpg

The Battle Wizard

vlcsnap54059.png

• Like 2

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

LOL, I love this thread. 

In my quest for the strange and very silly, I just ordered Winner Takes All (1982). If it's half as OTT entertaining as Wong Jing's Mercenaries from Hong Kong (1982), I'll know I did good.   

In the meantime, I offer a bit more Halloween-inspired fare: Hex After Hex, which I also haven't seen yet, but it looks like stupid kinds of fun judging by this clip. 

• Like 1

One Armed Boxer

In my quest for the strange and very silly, I just ordered Winner Takes All (1982). If it's half as OTT entertaining as Wong Jing's Mercenaries from Hong Kong (1982), I'll know I did good.  

'Winner Takes All' is good fun, I watched this myself for the first time at the beginning of this year, and commented in the dedicated thread - 

In the meantime, I offer a bit more Halloween-inspired fare: Hex After Hex, which I also haven't seen yet, but it looks like stupid kinds of fun judging by this clip. 

This is actually the third in a trilogy of (I believe unrelated) movies by director Kuei Chih Hung, in order they are - 

Hex (1980) - http://www.hkcinemagic.com/en/movie.asp?id=5054

Hex vs. Witchcraft (1980) - http://www.hkcinemagic.com/en/movie.asp?id=4809

Hex After Hex (1982) - http://www.hkcinemagic.com/en/movie.asp?id=4749

• Like 1

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Thanks for the clarifications and link, One Armed Boxer.   I picked up Hex After Hex because of Lo Mang.  If I really enjoy that, I may go backwards and get the previous two. 

Jade Dagger Ninja(1982)starring Tien Peng aka Roc Tien,Chung Wa,and Doris Lung certainly qualifies for the "weird fu" category but also has the distinction of being one of my favorite wuxia movies of all time.That's right,I said it and have no shame whatsoever.This was the movie that introduced me to my favorite Gu Long character in the Jianghu,Lu Xiao Feng and has one of Tien Peng's coolest performances in his career. 

Although this movie appears to be a parody of a Gu Long novel it contains excellent wire fu and fighting within as well as some of the funniest dialogue and farfetched movie plots you'll ever see in jade cinema.Kam Kong makes a special guest appearance as a Kung fu Incredible Hulk character complete with the green skin and strength to boot.

This movie has a bit of everything and maybe some extra in between.A nymphomaniac swordswoman,A morbid assassin that plays the flute before he kills you,a rapist swordsman,people trying to con and poison each other as well as striaght up murder one another all for the sake of the "Purple Jade Badger" a piece of jade that contains an miracle elixir which once consumed can turn anyone into a mighty morphin,Neo chosen one of the martial world.And let me mention there's not a single goddamn ninja  throughout the movie so don't ask why "Ninja" is included in the title at all!

Take my word for it,although campy as hell and weirder than Bruce Jenner it's certainly entertaining with a nice touch of kung-fu.As one reviewer put it:"It's like Crouching Tiger,Hidden Dragon on crack" And you can expect cool and funny lines from Tien Peng like this:"So you're the famous Four Kings are you? Well you're NO FOUR KING GOOD!"(read in between the lines to catch the wit and obscenity)?

Jade Dagger Ninja aka Shaolin Fox Conspiracy.gif

JadeDaggerNinja+1982-33-t.jpeg

Edited by kokuryuha
  • Like 1