The Weird Kung-Fu Movies Thread

Guest schleg64

masterofoneinchpunch
Check out this thread: ...

But I have also seen since then Shaolin Drunkard which you can read about in the below thread (all of the Miracle Fighter movies are mentioned, just not in depth.) But if you have not seen the one I mentioned it is pretty cool. Not as much MA action as I would have liked, but so crazy and quite fun.

Movies like Shaolin Drunkard?

Funny no one's mentioned Miracle Fighters (1982), since both Taoism Drunkard (1984) and Shaolin Drunkard (1983) have both been mentioned.

Oh, also for your consideration: Operation Pink Squad 2 aka Thunder Cops (1989).

Well actually I did refer to the whole series of films.

I personally love weird movies, the weirder the better. The Child of Peach movies are great Here's a few more you might like:

Riki Oh the story of Ricky (based on a Japanese manga, very bloody, but really weird and entertaining).

Nine Demons (lots of people here talk about how much they hate this one, but I like it)

Fury of the Silver Fox with Pearl Cheung. Actually all her movies are pretty weird especially Wolf Devil woman.

I haven't seen any Cat 3 movies and I don't think I ever will (unless they get re-rated, i.e. Crime Story and Flirting Scholar). I have heard of Nine Demons thanks to Ricky Cheng Tien Chi from Five Element Ninjas, but I haven't gotten around to watching it yet. I haven't seen Fury of the Silver Fox either, but I've seen pictures from it. I love the costumes. Actually I've heard that a lot of Pearl Cheung movies are really weird, movies like Wolf Devil Woman (1982).

KenHashibe: I get your point. Some weird movies are pieces of shit as films, but the WTF stuff is really enjoyable.

A good example of what you're discussing is the 1980s production Ninja Masters Of Death. Crappy cut-and-splice flick that mercylessly butchers what looked like a very nice Korean war flick. Yet the ending is so OTT that it's great.

E-pmpnyiuKA

Movies that are both weird and good are fairly rare. As far as weird movies go, I could recommend 18 Bronzegirls AKA The 18 Bronzegirls Of Shaolin. But that film is so confused and weird that it's one of the worst MA movies I've ever seen.

Oh man, I've been looking for that movie. I saw that clip is this video and I had been hunting it down ever since:

I don't know if I'll check 18 Bronzegirls of Shaolin. I don't like weird crappy movie unless it's so bad it's good like the original dub of Martial Club. As far as weird but good movies go, I liked A Heroic Fight, which actually wasn't that bad. It was a lot of fun though I thought the ending was pretty anti-climactic. Hold on, I have to praise Lam Siu-Lau yet again. Seriously, she was only 19 when she starred in that movie! Watch it!

Other weird but good movies are some of Stephen Chow's movies like Flirting Scholar, God of Cookery, Love on Delivery, and Shaolin Soccer (all of the movies I just named are also some of his funniest). Flirting Scholar especially is great for kung fu fans because it has appearances by a lot of famous kung fu movie stars like Cheng Pei Pei, Gordon Liu, and Leung Kar Yan, with some great action scenes by Ching Siu Tung. Probably some of my favorites that he's ever done.

Funny no one's mentioned Miracle Fighters (1982), since both Taoism Drunkard (1984) and Shaolin Drunkard (1983) have both been mentioned.

Oh, also for your consideration: Operation Pink Squad 2 aka Thunder Cops (1989).

Man, I have a lot of movies to check out. Miracle Fighters has been on the list for a while. I have to check it out. Thunder Cops is another movie I'd heard of, but HK horror isn't my thing. This movie actually screened once at the New Beverly Cinema, but I couldn't attend.

Morgoth Bauglir
How do you rank a weird movie

I try not to get too complicated with ratings. I rate a movie based on how much I enjoyed it. For example Book of heroes has some great fights but I find the movie annoying. I rate it 4.5/10

Secret Executioner
I try not to get too complicated with ratings. I rate a movie based on how much I enjoyed it. For example Book of heroes has some great fights but I find the movie annoying. I rate it 4.5/10

That works for me too - if I enjoy a film, it will hold up better. And even better if it has something memorable in it (OTT villain, fun soundtrack, nice action or even just a scene that seems to come out of nowhere).

I'm having a bit of trouble remembering this but this is what I can think of. The Child of Peach movies go in this order.

Child of Peach

Magic of Spell aka COP 2

Magic Warriors aka COP 3

I think COP 3 is a sequel in name only. I can't remember parts 1 and 3 very well.

Part 2 is the most memorable for me. Creativity is one of the main things I look for in a movie, but Magic of Spell goes too far. It's the weirdest movie I've ever seen. I doubt you will ever watch it Ken since the crazy movies don't seem to be your thing, so here's another reason not to see it (although I do recommend the movie!). During a series of fights at the end, a few of the kids accidentally fall into the Devil King's jacuzzi of blood. They appear to drown and the Devil King absorbs their power. At this point the Devil King is strong enough to transform into Chang Shan, my favorite movie fighter! White haired Chang Shan then gives Lam Siu Lau a brutal beat down. It's a good thing she's not really a little kid because Chang Shan lets her have it. Luckily Chang Shan gets distracted when one of the characters thinks that Chang Shan is his dad. This gives Lam Siu Lau the opportunity to eat her friend, the ginseng Buddha, and it makes her much stronger.

Then at the end of the movie there's a weird song that plays. It sounds like a Chinese version of puff the magic dragon.

That is a reason just to watch it. :xd:

The Hsiao-Lao Lin movies deserve a watch not just for their crazy zanniest but also for the action.

Chick Of Peach -Enough said

In Magic of Spell - co-star; Cheng Pei-pei

Magic Warriors - co-star Alexander Lo Rei

Heroic Fight - co-star Dick Wei & Chan Shen

Kung Fu Wonderchild - co-star Jack Long & Yukari Oshima (Tso Nam Lee is the director)

12 Animals - About the 12 animals of the Chinese Zodiac (she plays the Dragon).

For those who haven't seen them, you won't be sorry that you watch them.......oh wait, you will be sorry. :tongue:

I think that I am one of the few who actually enjoy the humor in Book of Heroes (and a few HK movies) & don't find it a bit annoying; maybe because I was exposed to/use to it from an early age. :wink:

Funny, Taoism Drunkard was the first thing that came to my mind when I read the thread title. While weird in a different way, something has to be said for the Crippled Master movies.

I would rate it a 3.5 out of 5. The annoying factor kind of bothered me quite a bit. I would agree that the action was fantastic too. The reason why I might rate an entertaining movie less than a genuinely good movie is because I feel like the genuinely good movie deserves to be recognized for its efforts more. I think that Fast Fingers is a much funner movie to watch than The Longest Nite and I will watch Fast Fingers many more times in the future, but I would easily identify that The Longest Nite is a much better movie.

I think that I am one of the few who actually enjoy the humor in Book of Heroes (and a few HK movies) & don't find it a bit annoying; maybe because I was exposed to/use to it from an early age. :wink:

Everyone has their own preference. As much as I enjoy weird movies, very few make me make laugh. I like some different stuff also and there are a few good jokes in Book of Heroes. I have different opinions about some movies than what's mainstream too. Honestly, though I loved the action in Magnificent Butcher, I thought the movie itself was okay. I've elaborated in great detail why I feel this way and I won't do it again.

Funny, Taoism Drunkard was the first thing that came to my mind when I read the thread title. While weird in a different way, something has to be said for the Crippled Master movies.

I don't blame you. Taoism Drunkard is extremely crazy, but I'll have to watch the movies recommended and see if any are crazier. I haven't seen the Crippled Masters (nor do I especially want to), but I'm sure someone has.

Yeah, I mean, seeing someone bite Frankie Shumms chicken wing-like nub is just disturbing.

GAAAAAH! :laluot_20: That sounds gross! I've heard many things about Crippled Masters (not very good things), but I hadn't heard about that.

BTW I love those bunny gifs.

Thunder Cops is another movie I'd heard of, but HK horror isn't my thing. This movie actually screened once at the New Beverly Cinema, but I couldn't attend.

In my enthusiasm I forgot that Thunder Cops wasn't a martial arts movie, though it does hit a lot of other genres. And perhaps it's not so much weird as gonzo, really gonzo.

I remember being entertained by the Crippled Master movies to be honest, the choreography is decent combined with the exploitation/gimmick. Obviously they're terrible movies, but they're good bad movies. In one of them the guy with no legs rolls around on a skateboard with grappling hooks built into it, it's pretty sweet. Lol

In my enthusiasm I forgot that Thunder Cops wasn't a martial arts movie, though it does hit a lot of other genres. And perhaps it's not so much weird as gonzo, really gonzo.

Many non martial arts movies have been named in this thread so that's okay. It does have a spiritistic monk in it so I guess it has that going for it. I like to watch reviews by Sean Tierney of The Silver Spleen. I linked to his review of Thunder Cops:

I remember being entertained by the Crippled Master movies to be honest, the choreography is decent combined with the exploitation/gimmick. Obviously they're terrible movies, but they're good bad movies. In one of them the guy with no legs rolls around on a skateboard with grappling hooks built into it, it's pretty sweet. Lol

I'm still not sure if I'll watching it still. Maybe when I'm bored and don't have to much to do, I might watch it.

Morgoth Bauglir

The Longest Nite is just a difference of opinion. I've seen it at least 40 times and I'm still looking forward to the next time I watch it.

Morgoth Bauglir
That works for me too - if I enjoy a film, it will hold up better. And even better if it has something memorable in it (OTT villain, fun soundtrack, nice action or even just a scene that seems to come out of nowhere).

Definitely those are some of the things I award bonus points for. Also if I know that I want to rewatch it, I'll give it a slightly higher rating.

The Longest Nite is just a difference of opinion. I've seen it at least 40 times and I'm still looking forward to the next time I watch it.

The Longest Nite is excellent, but I've seen Fast Fingers about 15 times. It's the HK movie I've rewatched the most times, but as far as any movie in general goes, I've seen Castle of Cagliostro many more times.

While on the topic of weird HK movies, I'd like to take this opportunity to mention Flying Dagger (1993). I think I've seen this movie twice and I really enjoy it. The movie is strange, but a lot of fun. This movie can actually be really funny thanks to its comedic performances, the action's pretty good too, and the theme song is awesome! The last joke before the end credits is extraordinary and makes me laugh every time. Without spoiling it, let's just say Tony Leung Ka-Fai's reaction is priceless. Has anyone seen this movie? It's pretty good and I would bet that it has some of your favorite actors/actresses in it (ignore IMDb, Cheng Pei Pei is not in this movie).

.........................................Everyone has their own preference. As much as I enjoy weird movies, very few make me make laugh. I like some different stuff also and there are a few good jokes in Book of Heroes. I have different opinions about some movies than what's mainstream too. Honestly, though I loved the action in Magnificent Butcher, I thought the movie itself was okay. I've elaborated in great detail why I feel this way and I won't do it again...........................

Completely agree on the bold.

There are some of us who saw a lot of this genre movies I saw them at the time of their release either on the big screen or the tube so we may have a different opinion than people who are just recently seeing them or seeing them for the first time. For me it was the from the early 70's on & there were time that I was in the movie theater at least twice a week.

Also, some of the movies mentioned in this thread as weird - I do not find them weird.

Ok folks if you have seen the following movies then what are your opinion on them - weird or not? (Note: I saw every single one of them on the big screen at the time of their release so my opinion may be different):

A Chinese Ghost Story Series.

The Bride With White Hair

Swordsman 2 & 3

Wicked City

Green Snake

Sex & Zen

Snaker (The Snake King's Child).

Hansel & Gretel (Korean)

The Magic Crane

Completely agree on the bold.

There are some of us who saw a lot of this genre movies I saw them at the time of their release either on the big screen or the tube so we may have a different opinion than people who are just recently seeing them or seeing them for the first time. For me it was the from the early 70's on & there were time that I was in the movie theater at least twice a week.

Also, some of the movies mentioned in this thread as weird - I do not find them weird.

Ok folks if you have seen the following movies then what are your opinion on them - weird or not? (Note: I saw every single one of them on the big screen at the time of their release so my opinion may be different):

A Chinese Ghost Story Series.

The Bride With White Hair

Swordsman 2 & 3

Wicked City

Green Snake

Sex & Zen

Snaker (The Snake King's Child).

Hansel & Gretel (Korean)

The Magic Crane

I had been thinking yesterday that maybe these movies aren't weird, but since I grew up watching American movies, the Chinese movies seem different.

I thought, what would it be like if I was Chinese, didn't know English, and I watched "American classics" like "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory," or "Pee Wee's Big Adventure?" Sure, growing up watching these movies, I may not think that they're weird, but I'm sure that someone who didn't know English flipped out when he first saw an Oompa Loompa.

The same can be said about me. I'm an American and I don't know much Chinese, but watching Swordsman 2, I thought the action was crazy and flipped out. It really depends on what we're used to. But...let's be real here, I'm sure that you thought Taoism Drunkard was a little out there. At least a little.

Anyway, I do see your point and decided to look at these movies from your point-of-view. Man, this thread really WAS a "learning experience."

Also, that is so cool that you got to see these movies in the theater! I would love to visit the theater twice a week, but tickets are pricey nowadays. The person who owns the New Bev Cinema talks about to going to Chinatown or New York to watch these movies in theaters. That's really cool, but I'm sadly limited to about 2 HK movies for every 3 months. :squigglemouth:

I am not Chinese but I was exposed at an early age.

I was born in the Caribbean & started watching in the early 70's.

We had 2 major movie house (about 3 blocks from each other) - one that showed mainly Shaw Brothers and the other Golden Harvest and other studios. Every weekend there was a new double feature but sometime there would repeat a movie if it relates to a new release (example they showed Secret Rivals 1 followed by part 2).

I used to get in for free as I had a family member who worked at one of the theaters. Also one of my neighbors was Korean and he would invite us over. That is one of the reasons I got to learn TKD.

Moved to NYC in 1983 and started to frequent Chinatown. We used to go to the Pagoda, Sun Sing, The Music Palace and The Rosemary. There were times when there were action on the screen and also in the audience.

We also had The Deuce (42nd St) & a few other movie theaters that we frequent.

Danm!!!

I haven't seen some of "old" crew in a long time - Golden Harvest Greg, Pei, Mark, Andrew, et al.

Secret Executioner
I had been thinking yesterday that maybe these movies aren't weird, but since I grew up watching American movies, the Chinese movies seem different.

I thought, what would it be like if I was Chinese, didn't know English, and I watched "American classics" like "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory," or "Pee Wee's Big Adventure?" Sure, growing up watching these movies, I may not think that they're weird, but I'm sure that someone who didn't know English flipped out when he first saw an Oompa Loompa.

The same can be said about me. I'm an American and I don't know much Chinese, but watching Swordsman 2, I thought the action was crazy and flipped out. It really depends on what we're used to. But...let's be real here, I'm sure that you thought Taoism Drunkard was a little out there. At least a little.

Anyway, I do see your point and decided to look at these movies from your point-of-view. Man, this thread really WAS a "learning experience."

Also, that is so cool that you got to see these movies in the theater! I would love to visit the theater twice a week, but tickets are pricey nowadays. The person who owns the New Bev Cinema talks about to going to Chinatown or New York to watch these movies in theaters. That's really cool, but I'm sadly limited to about 2 HK movies for every 3 months. :squigglemouth:

In spite of being an American or a European, one can still find Western movies strange - stuff like The Cabinet Of Dr. Caligari, 2001: A Space Odyssey, 200 Motels or Tommy are really weird experiences to sit through. Having said that, I love these 4 films and it's true you get very strange stuff in Asia too.

I am not Chinese but I was exposed at an early age.

I was born in the Caribbean & started watching in the early 70's.

We had 2 major movie house (about 3 blocks from each other) - one that showed mainly Shaw Brothers and the other Golden Harvest and other studios. Every weekend there was a new double feature but sometime there would repeat a movie if it relates to a new release (example they showed Secret Rivals 1 followed by part 2).

I used to get in for free as I had a family member who worked at one of the theaters. Also one of my neighbors was Korean and he would invite us over. That is one of the reasons I got to learn TKD.

First, I'd like to say that what was said in my post prior to this one was hypothetical. Anyone can grow up watching any kind of movie, but chances are high that an American would grow up watching American movies.

Also, I seriously want to watch more HK movies in the theaters. It's so much fun and the audience loves them every time. They're especially loud during the comedies. I've always wanted to watch Stephen Chow comedies and Shaw Bros martial arts movies on 35mm with an audience. That would be really fun! Anyone up for a Flirting Scholar and Eight Diagram Pole Fighter double feature?

In spite of being an American or a European, one can still find Western movies strange - stuff like The Cabinet Of Dr. Caligari, 2001: A Space Odyssey, 200 Motels or Tommy are really weird experiences to sit through. Having said that, I love these 4 films and it's true you get very strange stuff in Asia too.

Of course, there are some movies that are weird regardless of what movies you've grown up with. I have seen 2001 and I mainly feel like the beginning and end of the movie could be considered weird. The rest is just a very long space adventure, not one that I'd like to be on. I always thought that Brazil was pretty weird too. The atmosphere, filming techniques, and the crazy imagery are all crazy. The ending especially is really weird, but I still thought it was great.

First, I'd like to say that what was said in my post prior to this one was hypothetical. Anyone can grow up watching any kind of movie, but chances are high that an American would grow up watching American movies.
I Know.

Also, I seriously want to watch more HK movies in the theaters. It's so much fun and the audience loves them every time. They're especially loud during the comedies. I've always wanted to watch Stephen Chow comedies and Shaw Bros martial arts movies on 35mm with an audience. That would be really fun! Anyone up for a Flirting Scholar and Eight Diagram Pole Fighter double feature?
Watching with an audience - those were the best times.

The below is in reference to watching on the screen in the Islands & not NYC.

Not only were guys loud but before the movie started we had guys (trying to) show of their (non-existing) skills.

As for the trailers - they were the best, they had you hooked. And sometimes they change the movie title to as kick-ass title - example Snake In The Eagle's Shadow was retitled to Eagle's Claw, Snake Fist, Cat's Paw.

There were times when we had action after the movie was over - guys wanted to be certain characters and there were showdowns to determine who would be that character.

The top character was Silver Fox (we all know who that is :tongue:) followed by Fu Sheng & John Liu.

I  caught a particular Weird Kung Fu movie on Youtube,  and it got me thinking to share it with others on this board for those interested. There are plenty of bizzare Kung Fu movies out there and in this thread we all can explore the really weird ones. So I figured I would start this thread.  And I am going to start it out with a bang. 

The KF movie I saw on Youtube was called FLYER OF YOUNG PRODIGAL from 1982.  The movie is about a sword-slinging youngster who has super powers. One of the kids superpowers is the power of flight. Another of the kids powers is wizardry.  During the movie, the kid hunts down mountain bandits, evil doers, and fights other wizards. The kid and other human characters are always attacked by flying dragons and walking red dinosaurs, which really ups the weird factor.  Interesting special effects,  bizzare sound effects and music.  Check it out!

• Like 2

The most recent weird-fu film I saw was The Saviour Monk (1975), which was full of demonic possession, giant monsters and only a smattering of swordplay. I didn't care for it, mainly because the lead monk was a wife-abandoning d***.

• Like 3