The Weird Kung-Fu Movies Thread

Guest schleg64

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Morgoth- ah yes, touche! Right you are.

Alex- $5.00 is a steal for the good time WDW offers! Glad you found it.

SSKF- Wasn't the Andy Lau movie with the killer whale MOON WARRIORS, not THREE SWORDSMEN? I saw that in a movie theater in Philly that used to rent out space to these cool Chinatown businessmen who would show a different HK movie at midnight on either Saturdays or Fridays (I forget which). I think that movie kinda blows, but the whale helping Andy dispatch the villain is one of the best oddball scenes EVER. The audience went freakin' wild! That's gotta be on youtoobe somewhere...

I've seen many kung fu movies but Taoism Drunkard sure is the weirdest and most ott of them all. Infact, most Yuen Clan movies are. Also Shaolin Drunkard and Young Taoism Fighter are really really weird. Also The Dragon The Hero is a really odd one with a maniac bad guy and a scene involving a german sheperd biting his privates off :D

I saw one once cant think of the name im sure John chang was in it and there was a giant praying mantis in it at the end! (well a bloke in a suit)

ironfistedmonk

I think I mentioned this film in another thread a while back but for me the stupidest and totally wacked out storyline ever seen in a kung fu movie is from Kung Fu Arts Horse Monkey and Tiger aka Monkey Love lol

Big Spoiler lol

A Princess is taken ill and the Emperor issues a decree that whoever can cure her will have her hand in marriage so your obvious choice would have been leading man Carter Wong but that is far too dull a plot line. Her saviour is Sida the French Monkey Star, yep a freakin chimp lol Not only does she marry the chimp with a doctorate they also manage to produce offspring lol which fortunately looks human and not like a mexican dog boy.

Chinatown Kid
I think I mentioned this film in another thread a while back but for me the stupidest and totally wacked out storyline ever seen in a kung fu movie is from Kung Fu Arts Horse Monkey and Tiger aka Monkey Love lol

Big Spoiler lol

A Princess is taken ill and the Emperor issues a decree that whoever can cure her will have her hand in marriage so your obvious choice would have been leading man Carter Wong but that is far too dull a plot line. Her saviour is Sida the French Monkey Star, yep a freakin chimp lol Not only does she marry the chimp with a doctorate they also manage to produce offspring lol which fortunately looks human and not like a mexican dog boy.

:eek::eek::eek:

SlothStyleKungFu

...SSKF- Wasn't the Andy Lau movie with the killer whale MOON WARRIORS, not THREE SWORDSMEN?...

Yeah, I fudged it. Thought I was wrong when I was typing the title :o but gave myself too much credit.

Let's not forget KUNG FU VS. YOGA. I mean Dupar Singh's contortionist style was just too freaky for me. The way he just moves his body against Chin Yuet-Sang and Alan Hsu was just....gives me the chills.

I just watched Bat Without Wings today and felt it was worth mentioning here. Seeing Ku Feng with KISS makeup is quite a sight to behold.

Peacock King with Yuen Biao. It's another manga adaptation by Riki-Oh director Nam Nai Choi. This one is more on the bizarre side and the ending is not suitable for people who are sensitive to brightly colored, flashing lights.

One Armed Boxer

There is a similar movie to this one called The Tiger Love. I can't remember the exact details but the film starts with Lo Lieh getting beaten by a gang of thugs and thrown off a cliff...can't think what happens in between but suddenly theres a tiger urinating all over Lo Lieh's girlfriend from up on a ledge, the next logical thing to do naturally is for the girlfriend to sleep with the tiger, leading to her giving birth to a baby boy who can grow up and give a good kicking to the thugs who killed Lo Lieh. Yup thats pretty much the plot...weird.

Special mention should also go to the great 'out there' Shaw Brothers kung-fu films...the three that immediately spring to mind are the fantastic Demon of the Lute, Holy Flame of the Martial World, and Buddha's Palm. These would definitely make the ultimate triple bill, pure crazyness on every level imaginable!

DeathFuMaster

Can you guys give me some recommendations on some crazy kung fu stuff in the same style as Battle Wizard and Holy Flame of the Martial World? I want something with demons, magic powers, ridiculous story and characters, etc. I heard that Buddha's Palm was crazy but not that good, anything else?

Buddah's Palm gets a pass from me. I think it's in the same neighbourghood as the other filmes you mentioned. The Child Of Peach series is pretty crazy. Jet Li's Kung Fu Cult Master is wacky as well. Bastard Swordsman might suit your tastes, too.

Drunken Monk

Maybe not exactly the same in style but "Miracle Fighters," "Shaolin Drunkard" and "Taoism Drunkard" are all pretty bonkers. There is certainly magic, oddball enemies and obscure moments of comedy. I'd recommend them if you're interested in some all out bizarre film watching.

DeathFuMaster
Buddah's Palm gets a pass from me. I think it's in the same neighbourghood as the other filmes you mentioned. The Child Of Peach series is pretty crazy. Jet Li's Kung Fu Cult Master is wacky as well. Bastard Swordsman might suit your tastes, too.

Seen the Kung Fu Cult Master and its another example of what Im looking for. Will check out the Bastard Swordsman for sure(especially because Funimation is releasing them in the US!)

Maybe not exactly the same in style but "Miracle Fighters," "Shaolin Drunkard" and "Taoism Drunkard" are all pretty bonkers. There is certainly magic, oddball enemies and obscure moments of comedy. I'd recommend them if you're interested in some all out bizarre film watching.

I have Taoism Drunkard, but have yet to watch it(will move it to the top of my watch list). As for the rest, I love the Yuen stuff so I will be checking them out soon as well.

Any Shaw Brothers suggestions(besides Bastard Swordsman)? I like to balance everything else with Shaw titles.

Demon of the Lute is Shaw and one wacky ride, Boxer's Omen, Heven and Hell, Web of Death, I dig all the Shaw fantasy.

The Chinese Odyssey movies are out there.

I'd be interested in checking out some classic indy fantasy KFu at some point

DeathFuMaster

Okay I will definately try all of those. I know I can get Boxer's Omen and Heaven and Hell officially in the US. I have never heard of Demon of the Lute, but it sounds perfect...Thanks shapes and tosh for that suggestion. The Web of Death also sounds great. Im in for any Shaw fantasy flicks, so anymore suggestions would be great.

masterofoneinchpunch

I might be the only fan of this (EDIT: I was wrong; I'm glad there are other fans :)):

Drunken Dragon (1985: HK: Chiu Chung-Hing) Where else do you get a candle-headed villain, a strip teasing grandmother played by a man, an eccentric uncle who talks to paintings and has a house a bit like Fearless Hyena 2 (and a gun with a Mercedes Benz symbol on it), legs being cut off, peeing jokes (ok there are lots of films with this) and a large kick-ass wife who makes cannibal like dishes.

And then there is a land row-boat used in a fighting sequence.

This has a Rarescope release.

Aside from those already mentioned, Burning of the Red Lotus Monastery (the 1982 version with Pearl Cheung) is definitely worth tracking down if you like these type of films.

Since Demon of the Lute has already been mentioned I'll suggest the other two movies based on 'Six Fingered Lyre Demon' (Ni Kuang).

Deadful Melody (1993)

The Magic Crane (1993)

I might be the only fan of this:

Drunken Dragon (1985: HK: Chiu Chung-Hing) Where else do you get a candle-headed villain, a strip teasing grandmother played by a man, an eccentric uncle who talks to paintings and has a house a bit like Fearless Hyena 2 (and a gun with a Mercedes Benz symbol on it), legs being cut off, peeing jokes (ok there are lots of films with this) and a large kick-ass wife who makes cannibal like dishes.

And then there is a land row-boat used in a fighting sequence.

This has a Rarescope release.

I am a HUGE fan of this one. A fun movie.

Godz of Wutang aka Duel of the Masters suits your description pretty well...

Very random, very silly and as far as I'm concerned also pretty entertaining.

The Silver Fox

Portait in Crystal and Bloody Parrot. I like the zany- type flicks myself. I can't wait till my copy of Jade Dagger Ninja arrives.