• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgoth Bauglir

• Secret Executioner

• DiP

• slinky

Secret Executioner

There's also an Angela Mao movie with Muay Thai fighters. Can't remember the title, but I think it's in the Angela Mao Collection DVD set released recently.

masterofoneinchpunch
There's also an Angela Mao movie with Muay Thai fighters. Can't remember the title, but I think it's in the Angela Mao Collection DVD set released recently.

The Tournament (1974: Huang Feng: Hong Kong). It is in that collection. Those in-ring scenes were speeded up too much for my taste.

ShaOW!linDude

Doesn't Jackie Chan fight a boxer in Battle Creek Brawl?

Oh, and Sammo fights a boxer as one of his 3 end fights in Enter the Fat Dragon.

Secret Executioner
The Tournament (1974: Huang Feng: Hong Kong). It is in that collection. Those in-ring scenes were speeded up too much for my taste.

Yeah, that was the one. Hadn't I been such a lazy bum I could have searched through the reviews on the main site, it was just there.

Morgoth Bauglir

Hey now sifu iron perm, those were some classic boxing scenes in Legend of a Fighter. "1, 2, 2 1/2".

I think the display of boxing was even worse in Fearless!

I can't name too many good boxing vs kung fu scenes, except Ben Lam vs Cheung Gwok Wa in Angry Ranger. My favorite boxers that I've seen in martial arts movies are Chang Shan, Dick Wei, Donnie Yen and Chan Wai Man.

Morgoth Bauglir

Hey now sifu iron perm, those were some classic boxing scenes in Legend of a Fighter. "1, 2, 2 1/2".

I think the boxing display in Fearless was even worse!

I can't name too many good boxing vs kung fu scenes, except Ben Lam vs Cheung Gwok Wa in Angry Ranger. My favorite boxing scenes usually have Chang Shan, Dick Wei, Donnie Yen and Chan Wai Man.

that boxer from legend of the fighter must of been a random tourist they just invited on set... not really kung fu vs boxing but I think one of sonny chibas karate inferno movies had a really good boxer in there really decent.

Morgoth Bauglir
that boxer from legend of the fighter must of been a random tourist they just invited on set... not really kung fu vs boxing but I think one of sonny chibas karate inferno movies had a really good boxer in there really decent.

I've always had a theory that he was a bum and they found him on the street, and said hey, we'll give you $50 to take a punch to the face. And then they threw him back out on the street.

Now that I think about it though he does look like a tourist.

NoKUNGFUforYU

If you can find this flick, it has a good fight where a boxer beats a psycho martial artist to death in a well staged, long fight-

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087247/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_84

. Good boxers are faster with their hands then most kung fu guys- they have to be, you can't suck at boxing, you will just quit, or be abused. Most kung fu guys in the past had little contact training, and if you notice, you see very, very few chinese stylists, and chinese ethnicity at that, fighters in full contact through the 70s to the 90s. I don't count Cung Le or Alex Gong, they were TKD and Kyokushin trained, so they just don't count as gung fu. Now, there is Sanda, but that is not full contact Shaolin, it's kickboxing with a nice side kick and throws to neutralize Muay Thai.

The thing is, once you go full contact, it all becomes pretty generic kick boxing or if hands only, boxing. Trapping doesn't work well against a boxer, they don't leave their punches out and have a different rhythm than most kung fu. Still, love my kung fu movies and being a boxer is incredibly hard on the brain, so I don't recommend it.