Attack on Titan - Part 1 & Part 2 (2015)

AlbertV

946161_386513408125384_452517935_n1-386x500.jpg

The popular anime and manga will be getting the live action treatment next summer with a 2-parter. The creator of the manga will be creating a new story but with many of the characters yet add a new menacing villain.

The cast includes Harumi Miura, Hiroki Hasegawa, Shu Watanabe, and...Rina Takeda!

Shinji Higuchi will be directing the films.

Source: Henshin Justice

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Such a brutal, dark look at war and loss. It's a great anime and I'd be interested in seeing a live action version, but I have to wonder if they can pull it off. It's going to need a pretty damn big budget to do it justice!

FUNimation Entertainment scored the North American rights to the 2-part live action adaptation.

World Premiere of Part 1 is July 14, followed by its Japanese releases in August and September.

Hmmmmm, Shinji Higuch. Love his effects work, but not sure of his abilities as a director. I think the only film of his I've seen is Lorelei: Witch of the Pacific Ocean, which I thought was b-a-d, bad.

At least the FX work will be good, though. :squigglemouth:

Noelle Shadow Kick

I actually work at Kodansha Comics now, the publisher of the Attack on Titan manga. Glad to see Funimation picked up the rights for North American distribution! I was worried we'd never see the movie here.

One Armed Boxer

I got through watching this one recently, and have to say that as a pulpy piece of giant zombies vs. humans cinema, it delivers the goods.  As a faithful adaptation of the manga and all the themes it explores, no doubt it's an epic failure, but for what it is, there's definitely entertainment to be had.  Check out my full review here - 

http://www.cityonfire.com/attack-on-titan-part-1-2015-review/

ShaOW!linDude

I got through watching this one recently, and have to say that as a pulpy piece of giant zombies vs. humans cinema, it delivers the goods.  As a faithful adaptation of the manga and all the themes it explores, no doubt it's an epic failure, but for what it is, there's definitely entertainment to be had.  

Excellent review, OAB!!!! Wow, that actually came off better than I thought it would. 7.5/10? Well, alright. I'm glad you got to check it out. Me and the wife really enjoyed the 1st season of the anime (other seasons of which Netflix has yet to obtain, and I don't understand why). This is one of the better anime series out there, even though expressing passion or feeling means shouting every line of dialogue angrily. Still, the story concept is pretty wild, and the Titans are freaky. I'm glad you commented on that. This means at some point I'm going to have to get this and the Rouroni Kenshin trilogy. 

I got through watching this one recently, and have to say that as a pulpy piece of giant zombies vs. humans cinema, it delivers the goods.  As a faithful adaptation of the manga and all the themes it explores, no doubt it's an epic failure, but for what it is, there's definitely entertainment to be had.  Check out my full review here - 

http://www.cityonfire.com/attack-on-titan-part-1-2015-review/

I never seen or read the source material, but I was able to watch the film as is, and I enjoyed it. Most of the entertainment was unintentional, but I had a good time. It was like a horror kaiju film on speed, and it's as messy and crazy as it sounds.

I had the displeasure of sitting through both parts. Not familiar with the source material.

Attack on Titan: Part 1 (Japan, 2015) [Flight] – 2/5

There was a cute girl in this one, but she got eaten.

Attack on Titan: Part 2 (Japan, 2015) [Flight] – 1.5/5

There was no cute girl in this one.

This year’s major Japanese mainstream bait, released in two parts just like Rurouni Kenshin last year.  The two films are surprisingly dark and violent with the titans ripping human bodies into pieces (Part 1 was cut in Hong Kong to avoid CAT III) for PG-12, but the action scenes are frustratingly nonsensical. Characters using wires to move and attack the giant titans was a nice idea, but half of the time the wires don’t seem to be attached to anything. In the second film we also get a bloated final battle that goes on forever and includes every cliché imaginable. The same can be said about the characters: boring, superficial, and clichéd, mostly portrayed by charisma-free actors who either are or look like idols. Special effects include some nice touches (also look out for Noboru Iguchi, and makeup artist Yoshihiro Nishimura’s other pals, as Titans) but the plentiful CGI looks like, well, CGI. The first movie still remains somewhat watchable due to the interesting premise and decent pace, but the second one really isn’t worth it.

Archived