Best comic book movie?

Morgoth Bauglir

Secret Executioner

I find that Superman is much better rended in some of the DC direct-to-video animated movies like Superman/Batman: Public Enemies than in the live action ones.

Some of my fav' comic book-based movies:

Asterix And Cleopatra (animated)

The 12 Tasks Of Asterix (animated)

Batman (1989)

Batman Forever

Batman Begins

Batman: Year One (animated, direct-to-video)

Justice League: Doom (animated, direct-to-video)

Superman/Batman: Public Enemies (animated, direct-to-video)

The Adventures Of Tintin: The Secret Of The Unicorn

V For Vendetta

Watchmen

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Crow is hands down the greatest comic book to film adaption ever. Beyond that, it is one of the greatest films ever.

Morgoth Bauglir
The Crow is hands down the greatest comic book to film adaption ever. Beyond that, it is one of the greatest films ever.

Hell yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are my new #1 guy on this forum. I don't think anyone has even mentioned The Crow. I tried my best to throw everyone off with my initial post, and I guess it worked.:squigglemouth:

Fun fact- The Crow is Dwight Shrute's favorite movie.

Elemental Fist

I love the first Superman film, it might be dated at some points and Hackman's Luthor is too campy even compared to his comic counterpart at the time. Reeve alone sells the movie.

As long as you don't like Superman 3, you are good with me.

There's a good movie somewhere in Superman 3, particularly the Smallville scenes, Reeve and Anne O'Toole who played Lana Lang had nice chemistry. Superman 4 is one of my so bad it's entertaining films. And I will take those 2 over a (IMO) bland film like Superman Returns any day.

I love the first Superman film, it might be dated at some points and Hackman's Luthor is too campy even compared to his comic counterpart at the time. Reeve alone sells the movie.

There's a good movie somewhere in Superman 3, particularly the Smallville scenes, Reeve and Anne O'Toole who played Lana Lang had nice chemistry. Superman 4 is one of my so bad it's entertaining films. And I will take those 2 over a (IMO) bland film like Superman Returns any day.

I agree. Lol I can also understand why its hated. I always liked the cool credit sequence.

Superman 4… lol I was watching it last night with the audio commentary… it’s a must watch/must listen for sure!

Here is my order from favorite to least favorite of the Superman films:

Superman

Superman II

Superman Returns

Superman III

Man of Steel

Superman IV

Elemental Fist
I agree. Lol I can also understand why its hated. I always liked the cool credit sequence.

Superman 4… lol I was watching it last night with the audio commentary… it’s a must watch/must listen for sure!

Here is my order from favorite to least favorite of the Superman films:

Superman

Superman II

Superman Returns

Superman III

Man of Steel

Superman IV

Here's my order:

Superman:

The film that proved that superhero/comic based adaptations can be more than above average campy films. Reeve remains to this day in my personal opinion, the best actor to ever play a superhero, no matter how good others play them, I still see Christian Bale playing Batman, or Robert Downey Jr playing Iron Man while Reeve became the character, which became a double edged for his acting career.

Superman Fleischer/Famous Shorts:

You could consider them adaptation of the radio serial since it consisted of the same cast who played Clark Kent and Lois Lane and had a more polished version of the radio's theme song, the shorts still hold up quite up well today (although the portrayal of the Japanese in the WWII era shorts might make people uncomfortable)

Superman II (Both cuts)

Both have their positives and negatives. Terrence Stamp's General Zod remains as one of the positives, KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!

Superman And The Mole Men:

Theatrical pilot for the George Reeves series, I think it's the first feature length superhero film ever made. It was an entertaining debut for the actor with a somewhat anti-McCarthism message.

Man of Steel:

For all it's problems, I still enjoyed MOS. Henry Cavill looked the part and he comes across well in his interviews and was one of the biggest positives about the film, if only the script was better.

Superman Kirk Alyn Serials:

Apart from the out of place animated flight scenes, both serials are entertaining.

Superman III:

Despite the overuse of comedy, there's a good movie somewhere in 3, I really liked the Smallville scenes as it gave Reeve a chance to explore the mild mannered Clark Kent side of his character, Anna O'Toole of later Smallville fame was a pretty good Lana Lang and the darkside of Superman was entertaining.

Superman IV:

Okay, other than being the first superhero film I've seen in theaters, this is a complete guilty pleasure of mine, it's in no way a good movie, in fact it's quite a bad one but I just enjoy how bad it is, plus Reeve still does a great job as the Man of Tomorrow.

Superman Returns:

It was a better made film than 3,4 and MOS, I admit but I found it so bland and uninteresting with such bland characterization that it completely ruined the film for me.

Secret Executioner

Theatrical pilot for the George Reeves series, I think it's the first feature length superhero film ever made. It was an entertaining debut for the actor with a somewhat anti-McCarthism message.

There have been several serials before that film came out (notably a Captain Marvel, a Captain America and two Batman serials), so I guess you may want to take that back.

The very first live-action superhero movie is the 1941 serial Adventures Of Captain Marvel (based on the Fawcett Comics character)

And since I'm on serials, I would like to mention the Flash Gordon one from 1936 - which is very impressive and tons of fun to watch. Had I lived back then with these playing, I'd have been at the theater all the time to check out all these great serials.

Elemental Fist
There have been several serials before that film came out (notably a Captain Marvel, a Captain America and two Batman serials), so I guess you may want to take that back.

The very first live-action superhero movie is the 1941 serial Adventures Of Captain Marvel (based on the Fawcett Comics character).

But aren't those serials while Superman And The Mole Men was close to a one hour feature length film?

Spiderman 2 is probably my favorite. But Guardians was great, Batman (Jack Nicholson), Batman Returns, Blade 1 and 2, X-2, Iron Man, The Avengers, Hellboy 2, Spiderman are all great. I feel most of the marvel movies are over rated. Days of Future Past and First Class were awesome, but X-2 is still way better to me. The fight between Hulk and Abom in Ed Nortons Hulk is too often overlooked. I haven't seen any of the old Superman films.

If were including animated movies, DC has many greats. JL: Flashpoint Paradox was a great adaptation, and one of the very best comic book movies in my opinion.

Here's my order:

Superman:

The film that proved that superhero/comic based adaptations can be more than above average campy films. Reeve remains to this day in my personal opinion, the best actor to ever play a superhero, no matter how good others play them, I still see Christian Bale playing Batman, or Robert Downey Jr playing Iron Man while Reeve became the character, which became a double edged for his acting career.

Superman Fleischer/Famous Shorts:

You could consider them adaptation of the radio serial since it consisted of the same cast who played Clark Kent and Lois Lane and had a more polished version of the radio's theme song, the shorts still hold up quite up well today (although the portrayal of the Japanese in the WWII era shorts might make people uncomfortable)

Superman II (Both cuts)

Both have their positives and negatives. Terrence Stamp's General Zod remains as one of the positives, KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!

Man of Steel:

For all it's problems, I still enjoyed MOS. Henry Cavill looked the part and he comes across well in his interviews and was one of the biggest positives about the film, if only the script was better.

Superman Kirk Alyn Serials:

Apart from the out of place animated flight scenes, both serials are entertaining.

Superman III:

Despite the overuse of comedy, there's a good movie somewhere in 3, I really liked the Smallville scenes as it gave Reeve a chance to explore the mild mannered Clark Kent side of his character, Anna O'Toole of later Smallville fame was a pretty good Lana Lang and the darkside of Superman was entertaining.

Superman IV:

Okay, other than being the first superhero film I've seen in theaters, this is a complete guilty pleasure of mine, it's in no way a good movie, in fact it's quite a bad one but I just enjoy how bad it is, plus Reeve still does a great job as the Man of Tomorrow.

Superman Returns:

It was a better made film than 3,4 and MOS, I admit but I found it so bland and uninteresting with such bland characterization that it completely ruined the film for me.

Superman Returns at the bottom? :squiggle mouth:

Dude, you have to get the Superman IV dvd and hear the commentary. It's quality!

Secret Executioner
I feel most of the marvel movies are over rated.

You do realize they still take up most of your list ? Unless you meant underrated, that sounds strange.

Elemental Fist
Superman Returns at the bottom? :squiggle mouth:

Dude, you have to get the Superman IV dvd and hear the commentary. It's quality!

Since I own the Superman movie Bluray boxset, I'll definitely check out that commentary.

The reason I put Superman Returns as my least favorite Superman film is because it could've been a better film than it actually was and I've first seen the film in 2009 and I heard about the criticism it tends to receive so I went in low expectations and still wasn't impressed. My problems as follow:

- The pacing of the film was very slow and quite boring, I get Singer was trying to copy the Donner films but those films had more heart in them while SR comes across as a high bugeted fanfilm than an actual movie. The only scene where I wasn't bored was the Superman saving the plane scene as well as seeing George Reeve's Superman TV's Lois Lane, Noel Neil as Luthor's elderly wife and TV's Jimmy Olsen, Jack Larson as Bibbo the bartender.

- The acting was for the most part okay but the biggest problems were the leads, Brandon Routh was a decent Clark Kent but I didn't feel his Superman, Kate Bosworth just came across to me as really bland and Kevin Spacey's Lex Luthor to me was just, Spacey playing Gene Hackman playing Lex Luthor and I'm not that fond of Hackman's Luthor as he came across as more campy than the actual Luthor in the comics at the time.

- Superman as a stalking deadbeat dad, so wrong on so many levels.

- The "son" felt more like a gimmick or an obvious plot point than an actual character to me.

- The way the film uses the way overused "Do We Really Need A Superman?" story, which it's only good use was in the story that inspired the question "Must There Be A Superman" from Superman #247 (Jan. 1972) from my favorite run on the character by Elliot S! Maggin.

Anybody get the same same vibe as me on spidey 2(the latest movie) that they were mocking superman. I mean they used the music and spidey symbol just like superman does more or less. Was it a shot at superman? :tongue: Just the vibe i got.

Not sure which comic movie i like best, I guess like them all in one way or another.

Morgoth Bauglir
How in the hell is Adventures in Babysitting a comic book movie? It was a original idea by screenwriter David Simkins. It has never been a comic book.

Yeah I think you may be right on this one. But, the DVD cover does look like a comic book. I'm still not 100% sure.

masterofoneinchpunch
Yeah I think you may be right on this one. But, the DVD cover does look like a comic book. I'm still not 100% sure.

Might have been thinking about this cover :D

AdventuresinBabysitting-DarkwingDuckv217.jpg

Secret Executioner

Darkwing Duck comics ?! Now it's getting dangerous. :tongue:

"I'm the guy who posts useless replies to your threads on Internet forums !!"

Secret Executioner

My guess is rather that Disney spoofed the movie. AIB came out in 1987, while this Darkwing Duck comic series is from 2010/2011.

Noelle Shadow Kick

No one mentioned Scott Pilgrim vs The World yet? That movie is amazing. Definitely one of my favorite movies, and certainly one of my favorite comic book movies.

In general I find it more useful to break it down into superhero movies and other comic movies. Comic is a medium, not a genre. So picking your favorites can be difficult if the categories aren't broken down further.

Secret Executioner

In general I find it more useful to break it down into superhero movies and other comic movies. Comic is a medium, not a genre. So picking your favorites can be difficult if the categories aren't broken down further.

Yeah, I've noticed most of the answers had mainly if not only superhero stuff. And when I think of US comics outside of superheroes.. Stuff like V For Vendetta, Sin City or 300 comes to mind, but that's it - and I guess an American must not be too familiar with some European comics either. BTW, does V For Vendetta count as US comics ? We have a British writer, a story set in England and that story is very linked to British politics (as Moore said he was inspired by the possible extremes the ideas of the Conservatives in the early 1980s could lead to, resulting in a nuclear holocaust and the rise of a parti that would be even more extremist than Thatcher & co.)...

I guess we could also have a specific category for manga-based movies (Ghost In The Shell), since there are lots of those as well.

Archived