Best comic book movie?

Morgoth Bauglir

Morgoth Bauglir

I know that there has to be a thread on this, right? But I looked for at least an hour and I couldn't find. All that I found was about 500 "what movie is this?" threads.

I watch comic book movies. The Crow, The Punisher.... But I'm going to have to make the obvious choice and pick Adventures in Babysitting as the best. Elizabeth Shue gives one of the most heroic performances ever put to screen. and her companions could all go on to star in their own movies. I know there's people who will and try and say that this movie is only average, but I have to stick up for this movie. You don't fuck with the babysitter.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Drunken Monk

I just watched "Blade 2" last night and it still holds up. It's easily in my top ten super hero films list. It might not be as snazzy as, say, "The Avengers," but it's a solid film.

tumblr_mir91vr1I61rd80hmo1_400.gif

Runners up:

Conan (I know, it’s based on Robert E. Howard’s stories, not the marvel comic book, but still!), Iron Man, Superman II (I can only imagine if Donner finished it!).

All other comic movies have been somewhat overrated.

I was supposed to watch Guardians of the Galaxy this past weekend, but it fell through. Maybe this week. I have yet to watch Captain American: Winter Soldier, which I hear is also good

I watch comic book movies. The Crow, The Punisher.... But I'm going to have to make the obvious choice and pick Adventures in Babysitting as the best. Elizabeth Shue gives one of the most heroic performances ever put to screen. and her companions could all go on to star in their own movies. I know there's people who will and try and say that this movie is only average, but I have to stick up for this movie. You don't fuck with the babysitter.

Fun movie for sure, but was this a comic book before a movie? I haven't seen it in a while, but the only thing I remember having to do with comic books was that the little girl loved Thor. Other than that, how is this a comic book movie?

masterofoneinchpunch

Adventures in Babysitting is a fine movie. I saw it in the theater on VHS and DVD now.

My top 10 (not including manga):

1. Batman (1989: Tim Burton)

2. Superman (1978: Richard Donner)

3. Iron Man (2008: Jon Favreau)

4. Hellboy II: The Golden Army (2008: Guillermo del Toro)

5. The Avengers (2012: Joss Whedon)

6. Watchmen (2009: Zach Synder)

7. Captain America: The Winter Solider (2014: Anthony Russo, Joe Russo)

8. Blade II (2002: Guillermo del Toro)

9. Spiderman 2 (2004: Sam Raimi)

10. Batman Returns (1992: Tim Burton)

Runner Up: Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut (2006: Richard Donner)

I noticed as I was doing this there are a lot of comic book films that I am a fan of that just did not make my top 10. The above is subject to revision and the whims of its poster.

almost forgot... SNOWPIERCER. Does that count? ah man, totally forgot about Sam's Spider-man flicks! (minus the 3rd). And Battle Royale!

Morgoth Bauglir

Superman is a good choice, but I don't remember if Tommy Lee Jones was in it.

ChanBiaoHungLungFuSheng I am baffled by this one as well. You are correct, Thor is in the movie. He comes off like a pretty decent guy who you could borrow five bucks from. But is it a comic book movie? I'm not so sure now.

ShaOW!linDude

Hmm, I'm like too many of them to rightfully say that any one of them is the best, but I know what I consider the worst...Superman (1978). I saw that at the theater as kid and afterwards I wanted my dad to get his money back. That film was a ripoff!!! You don't do a movie of Supes and not give him someone to fight.

Superman 2 was killer.

Secret Executioner
Hmm, I'm like too many of them to rightfully say that any one of them is the best, but I know what I consider the worst...Superman (1978). I saw that at the theater as kid and afterwards I wanted my dad to get his money back. That film was a ripoff!!! You don't do a movie of Supes and not give him someone to fight.

Superman 2 was killer.

So, to you the first Supes was superior to the horrendous 3 and 4 that could OBVIOUSLY use famous villains but went with bullshit instead ? :ooh::ooh::ooh::ooh::ooh:

masterofoneinchpunch
So, to you the first Supes was superior to the horrendous 3 and 4 that could OBVIOUSLY use famous villains but went with bullshit instead ? :ooh::ooh::ooh::ooh::ooh:

Don't forget that horrid Supergirl as well.

masterofoneinchpunch
Thanks for the reminder...

Like Elektra I try to put it out of my mind, but it keeps coming back haunting me in the deep corners of my subconcious. But then this thread isn't about the "worst" comic book movie :D.

On another site I have taken flack for my love of the Burton Batman series (well the two he did.) It is one I grew up on so I probably have some unconcious bias for it, but I do stand by my review and love of it.

There is a ton more that I think are decent to good. I've really liked the past several years of Marvel films, not as much love for the later DC ones (not counting The Dark Knight trilogy.)

Regarding Superman 2: I prefer the Donner edit. I've already seen that version several times over the Lester cut which I do like as well.

Morgoth Bauglir

I would take that flack and tell the other site to shove it. Batman is a great movie. It does have some flaws though. Like the part where Batman can't seem to hit the Joker with his machine guns. I still can't figure that scene out.

ShaOW!linDude

Hah. No, I'm not saying that. Those movies are awful. Of the Christopher Reeves "Superman" films, only the 2nd one is worth a flip as far as I'm concerned.

The 1st one isn't without its merits, but it was nothing but a big set-up film with the highlight being Supes reversing the rotation of the earth to save an obnoxious Margot Kidder. As a kid, I was completely unimpressed with that as well as offended and insulted.

It's not my intention to offend anyone or ruffle feathers because I know many cherish the 1st one. I'm just saying that as a kid of 13 or 14 at the time, it didn't meet my expectations because, in my view, it failed to properly depict Superman in contrast to a super-villain worthy of giving him a run for his money.

The 3rd and 4th films were just lame, with the exception of Supes getting drunk in the 3rd. A drunk Superman? That was just flat-out funny to me.

Man, I can't pick one. There are so many great comic book films.

My favorites in general tend to be sequels: Blade 2, Spider-Man 2, Supes 2 (Donner cut), X2, The Winter Soldier....once the introductions are out of the way, the stories just get better (though not ALL the time) and more fun.

I need to think about this more...

ShaOW!linDude:

Saying "Superman needed a villain" is like saying "The Godfather needed enemies with dual machine guns!"

When is the last time you watched Superman? I can see it overlooked by a child, especially for the lack of action and the absence of a real bad guy with powers. But watching it now, as an adult, it really is a great movie. Well thought out. Great script. Flawless dialogue. Unbelievable craft. The multiple styles Donner shot it at... way ahead of its time. And the fact he pulled it off without any CGI is a miracle.

I seriously put it up there with Star Wars and anything Spielberg did at his prime (Raiders, etc.) Too bad it gets a bad wrap for its sequels (especially 3 and 4). And say what you want about Margot Kidder... she isn't exactly the model actress, but she nailed her part. Everything about Superman is perfect. You almost believe it. On my top 10 for sure.

Superman II was always my favorite (because it had enemies); but when I finally watched Superman seriously... wow.

ShaOW!linDude
ShaOW!linDude:

Saying "Superman needed a villain" is like saying "The Godfather needed enemies with dual machine guns!"

When is the last time you watched Superman?

No offense, but I don't think your analogy fits. Gene Hackman's Lex Luthor was laughable to me. I watched it about 7 yrs ago though I admit I did so in snippets. I still don't like it and find it utterly disappointing. Sorry.

No offense, but I don't think your analogy fits. Gene Hackman's Lex Luthor was laughable to me. I watched it about 7 yrs ago though I admit I did so in snippets. I still don't like it and find it utterly disappointing. Sorry.

It's just a loose analogy.

Trust me, no offense taken. I think Avatar, Drunken Master II and Fist of Legend (Jet Li) are overrated garbage; yet I love Tsui Hark's Knock Off (Van Damme).

So opinions are always respected!

Archived