Bruce Lee Premiere Collection

reason108

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

This is what a lot of fans (the ones that balked at the steep price for the "Legacy Collection") wanted- just the Blu-rays. No book, no DVDs. Just the Blu-rays for FIST OF FURY, CHINESE CONNECTION, WAY OF THE DRAGON, and GAME OF DEATH.

I wonder how many of the special features will be ported over to this set from the Legacy set?

I'm happy that they did this so that a lot more fans will be able to afford these films on BD. Still, I'm glad I got the Legacy Collection. It kicks ass! :nerd:

Well, it will suck if these are color corrected. Not saying they are but I hope someone can find out for us. I do not want to purchase these again. I am pretty happy with the Legacy Collection but if these have been color corrected then I might have to break down and re-purchase them. But, then again, Shout originally promised color corrected copies....and I do not yet have that on blu ray. :squigglemouth:

Think I will wait until some reviews come in. It is interesting that they are basically re-releasing this pretty much around the 1yr anniversary of the last release. Interesting that they distanced themselves from the Legacy Collection. :neutral:

Just received word that the bonus features included on the individual movies will be carried over (features on that extra disc will not be included). I'm pretty sure they're identical, minus the docs, etc.

=D

OpiumKungFuCracker

Such a bland cover and I know it's cost effective but I much rather have them in individual slip cases. I really hate the 4 disc in a single case sets. I wouldn't mind if the cover didn't look so bland!!!! It's like they're not even trying anymore? Remember VHS? Why is it that VHS covers are so much better than what we have now? Are we taking things for granted? Do we not care? Not enough talent? What the fuck is going on!!!!!! FUCKING FUCK!!!!!!!!!

OpiumKungFuCracker

I mean just look at this? The fonts and lettering, I don't know man maybe you guys like it.

BLPCCover72dpi.jpg

... I'm happy that they did this so that a lot more fans will be able to afford these films on BD. Still, I'm glad I got the Legacy Collection. It kicks ass! :nerd:

Yes Sir!

:nerd:

Secret Executioner
I mean just look at this? The fonts and lettering, I don't know man maybe you guys like it.

BLPCCover72dpi.jpg

KFB was busy on other projects and all they had for that project was a guy who was still learning how to use Photoshop. :tongue:

That is a pretty generic cover. I think they are pretty obviously trying to save some of the money they lost on the Legacy Collection so this is a no frills edition. I would highly doubt Shout will do any additional remastering, color correction, etc. At this point, I think they are just taking whatever materials they get from Fortune Star and releasing as is in order to avoid another snafu.

Jesus, that's gross lol.

I don't have the Legacy Collection yet but will get it eventually. I have the Blu Ray prints on my media hub and can't be bothered yet.

Why isn't Bruce Lee - The Legend included? They don't have the rights?

Probably because no HD master exists.

Got this today. I just finished watching The Big Boss and noticed something --- I'm surprised no one ever mentioned this. The subtitles are actually based on the Cantonese mono dub rather than the original Mandarin dub. I even compared the timing of the subs to both the dubs and they are timed better on the Cantonese dub. Not sure why they did this but it gets annoying reading subtitles for occasional lines that are either non-existent or said to the point that the subs are off-timed. For example, the opening scene (Bruce and the uncle) had dialogue that isn't timed well with the subs when on Mandarin track but picks up the dialogue just fine on the Cantonese track. Otherwise, I'm very impressed with the HD transfer as well as the audio options!

I hope that this problem isn't on the other dics. I'll check it out later.

I bought a new multi region DVD player and the Premiere Collection at the beginning of the year and I was over the moon with it.

The Big Boss - As luck would have it, I CANNOT stand either the Cantonese or Mandarin scores so the subtitles mean nothing to me. The Cantonese redub is an abomination and, in general, the Mandarin dialect gets on my nerves. Either the US (Peter Thomas music) print or the English Master for me on this one. The latter is a hybrid between the US print and the Cantonese redub (music only, not those exaggerated war cries). The noise of the strikes have been amped up for this version and it works well. Best Print of the lot.

Fist of Fury - Watched all three (including Mandarin) languages and thought they terrific. Heard stuff about this print being "too brown" but perhaps I'm easy pleased. Great print, in my opinion, and for me the English Master is still the best. Although I HATE the lyrics on the title song, it's "almost" as bad as Tom Jones singing Kung Fu Fighting on Police Story III.

Way of the Dragon - English Master is the best, but again I watched all FOUR languages. A Japanese soundtrack is ill-timed, unnecessary and cringe worthy. What is with the shitty back ground music? Yuck! The English Master has quality sound and works a treat. Still, this BR exaggerates the flaws in the cinematography of this movie, blurry shots in particular. Still, from the Bob Wall fight onwards, this is a gem and the Chuck Norris fight has never looked better.

Game of Death - Who gives a shit, right? This is an upscale and, in many cases, it doesn't look as good as the HKL version. Best thing is again the sound. A nifty Japanese soundtrack works on this disc and there's also a FULL print of this on the Blu Ray as an extra (think it's from a laserdisc). Only differences I've spotted on this is a small dialogue scene between Bruce and Chi Hon Tse (subtitled) and a segment of the same fight is inexplicably cut out.

I was never going to buy the Legacy Collection because I viewed it, in more ways than one, as a rip off. DVD's of the movies? Bruce Lee the Legend, which I've had since birth? I Am Bruce Lee, which I would never watch again? I investigated the extra's disc and there's nothing on it that I don't own and they can keep the pictures because I ripped them all off this website.

Anyway that's my take.

Archived