Meet The Great Hwang Jang Lee in London!

David Rees

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice to finally put a face to the name brother. I see you're rocking a 36 Styles shirt too! You should enter the contest over there: http://www.shaolinchamber36.com/buddhist-blog/hwang-jang-lee-qa-seminar-in-london/

36 Styles Shirt Hwang Jang-Lee Photo Contest

"We here at Shaolin Chamber.com and 36 Styles are huge fans of Hwang Jang-Lee and would love to attend the event, but sadly we’re on the other side of globe. So, how can we be represented at the event? Time for a contest! It would delight us if our customers that attend the event would represent 36 Styles by wearing one of our kung fu-themed shirts, possibly getting a photo with Hwang Jang-Lee, then share the photo(s) with us.

“36 STYLES UK EVENT CONTEST” The rules are simple, just send us a photograph (or several) of you at the Seni 14 event in London, wearing your favorite 36 Styles kung fu cinema shirt. Posing with guests, in front of exhibits, in your best kung fu pose, or with your fellow attendees. We’ll be looking for the most imaginative, exciting, and cool photos of you wearing a 36 Styles shirt. That way we can share them with everyone else here on the site, and through the various social media outlets. We will look through all the photos and pick the best ones.

First Place Winner will receive one (1) FREE 36 Styles shirt, their choice from all of our available designs, and one(1) FREE 11×17” art print of their choice from Kung Fu Bob’s available designs. (Free Worldwide Shipping)

Second and Third Place Runner-ups will each receive one (1) FREE 11×17” art print of their choice from Kung Fu Bob’s available designs. (Free Worldwide Shipping)

RULES:

1. The photos must be taken at the Seni 14 event in the UK on September 13th and 14th in London’s Soccerdome.

2. Subject must clearly be wearing one of the 36 Styles shirts in the photo.

3. All photo submissions must be clear, and at least 300kb in size.

4. All photos must be sent to us by the contest deadline of October 1, 2014.

Hopefully Master Hwang’s fans will show up in droves at this event to declare their love and appreciation for the man and his films. To those that will be attending we say “Have a great time, and good luck winning the contest!”

Didn't see this about the compo otherwise I would have done a few shapes and shown the tee off to the camera.

027_zpsa2aaa267.jpg

• Administrator
Didn't see this about the compo otherwise I would have done a few shapes and shown the tee off to the camera.

It still counts! Awesome photo. Please send it into the contest brother.

Here's something really cool... After my friend Butcher B gifted Hwang Jang-Lee three of the 36 STYLES shirts, Hwang Sifu wore one of them the next day for the kicking seminar he taught at the event! :nerd: Can't believe he moves like that at 70. There's a video clip here (thanks to Chris Jones): https://www.facebook.com/ShaolinChamber36?fref=nf

• Administrator

Our UK brothers are rocking us with a lot of fantastic pictures on FB. I hope more of them share their photos here. I imagine a lot of people will crash when they get home, and post tomorrow or Tuesday.

So happy for everyone that got to attend this. :bigsmile:

Secret Executioner

Looked like some great event. Amazing to see so many people like HJL. I thought only a little community (essentially a bunch of Asian/MA cinema fans) would know about the guy, but there seems to have been an impressive turn-out. :bigsmile:

027_zpsa2aaa267.jpg

That pic is really awesome man.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG
Another great group shot posted on FB. Simply awesome guys.... :bigsmile:

10669068_10152722903452594_6665208103230968903_o.jpg

Wow that's what I call AWESOME.

You ALL were very fortunate to meet Master Hwang.

BTW he looks really great. .

Lets see how old he is.

Hwang Jang Lee, (born December 21, 1944) I am 67 he is 70.

I don't die my hair but still the man looks wonderful for his age.

Also this photo gave me a youthful chuckle seeing you ALL having so much fun.

Wow Baby!

:wink::bigsmile::angel::smile::cry::xd:

Were there any women there?

As I see only men in the photo.

There is a video feed on the Facebook's KUNG FU MOVIE FANDOM PAGE showing Master Hwang singing pics.

GD Y-Y

• Administrator
Wow that's what I call AWESOME.

You ALL were very fortunate to meet Master Hwang.

BTW he looks really great. .

Lets see how old he is.

Hwang Jang Lee, (born December 21, 1944) I am 67 he is 70.

I don't die my hair but still the man looks wonderful for his age.

Also this photo gave me a youthful chuckle seeing you ALL having so much fun.

Wow Baby!

:wink::bigsmile::angel::smile::cry::xd:

Were there any women there?

As I see only men in the photo.

There is a video feed on the Facebook's KUNG FU MOVIE FANDOM PAGE showing Master Hwang singing pics.

GD Y-Y

I looked at a lot of photos from the event, and I only saw a few ladies. It appears to have been around 95% guys in attendance.

I'm assuming Hwang Sifu dyes his hair- many stars (Asian and otherwise) do. I think if he did let it go natural- white or silver- he would look even cooler. Very much like The Silver Fox, but with a more modern haircut. :wink:

Had a great time meeting Hwang Jung Lee.

He was very down to earth and friendly.

They played a short but cool musical montage of HJL clips and the Q&A was fun and interesting.

I'm the guy in J Saul Kane's pic on the left in the dark SF4 t-shirt next to Rick!

• Administrator
Pic of myself with HJL!

[ATTACH]1757[/ATTACH]

Great photo brother! I hope you show everyone the amazing drawings you did of him too. :bigsmile:

Was a great opportunity to attend the seminar with HJL; I'm extremely appreciative of the guys who put this together setting that up... realised I'm not much of a kicker at all to say the least; us Southern kung guys don't tend to get our legs that high! Won't find a roundhouse in hung kuen, so don't ever train that stuff, & pretty useless with it - but with those few tips from HJL think I will now... Saw Hwang using relaxed circular & subtle figure 8 hip motion to power the legs, same way we do the upper half; movement's all holistic - got me inspired to try getting my legs up more! His technique is beautifully honed.

Anyway, after the seminar everyone posed for a group photo; load of people snapping that one - really want to see any copies of those shots... anyone got one??

Anyway, after the seminar everyone posed for a group photo; load of people snapping that one - really want to see any copies of those shots... anyone got one??

I saw a few pix from the seminar on FB yesterday (incl. a group photo) but they were all fairly small.

• Administrator
Thanks Kung Fu Bob!!

Yeah I'll post up more pics soon!

How did you know I had artwork signed by him?

You are well informed!!!!

I'm always watching over my kung fu brothers and sisters... wherever they are! :wink:

Was a great opportunity to attend the seminar with HJL; I'm extremely appreciative of the guys who put this together setting that up... realised I'm not much of a kicker at all to say the least; us Southern kung guys don't tend to get our legs that high! Won't find a roundhouse in hung kuen, so don't ever train that stuff, & pretty useless with it - but with those few tips from HJL think I will now... Saw Hwang using relaxed circular & subtle figure 8 hip motion to power the legs, same way we do the upper half; movement's all holistic - got me inspired to try getting my legs up more! His technique is beautifully honed.

Cool that you were moved (literally) to get into some legwork. Adding these skills to your training will only help to make you a more well-rounded martial artist.

We don't hear from you much here anymore, so I was happy to at least see you in photos of the seminar yesterday. :bigsmile: Unfortunately, I saw so many photos and have no idea who took the one I saw where you were seen so clearly. But it was taken while Hwang Sifu was demonstrating a kick, and you were sitting on the floor watching, front and center of the photo.

I read on Instagram that Hwang Jang Lee said that he has never seen the movie Invincible Armour!

Not sure how true this is or not (can anyone confirm?) but just thought this was interesting, this is definitely my joint fave Kung Fu movie (along with Prodigal Son). I just think everything about it (dubbed English version) is perfect - I have the Mandarin version there but never got around to watching it (one day!)

Think I'm going to have to put it on now... love this custom cover from over at shaolinchamber36.com

InvincibleArmour_GoldenSwallow_SC36.jpg

One Armed Boxer
Another great group shot posted on FB. Simply awesome guys.... :bigsmile:

10669068_10152722903452594_6665208103230968903_o.jpg

Those are my eyes to the right of the iPhone that Ricky Baker is holding!:tongue:

Damn, didn't realize so many other forum members were there!

I read on Instagram that Hwang Jang Lee said that he has never seen the movie Invincible Armour!

Not sure how true this is or not (can anyone confirm?)

Rick Baker: Whilst Hwang was waiting for his car to the airport i decided to put on 'Invincible Armour' told the crowd they where experiencing a unique moment as they where watching this in the presence of Hwang himself. When I spoke to Hwang and asked him when was the last time he saw this film ....he told me this was the first time he had EVER SEEN IT! strange but true

I was very lucky to get my artwork signed by HJL!

It's a mix of stuff I've done over the years going back to 2003/2004.

The pic with myself and hwang was a new A3 drawing I done especially for this meeting with HJL! So glad he got to see it. Took over a month to complete!!!

I greet HJL and give him my drawings to sign.

Toby explains to him that these are drawings I done of him.

I remember the brief conversation we had!

Hwang: You draw?

Me: Yes!

Hwang: Very good!

Me: Thanks!

post-1020-144191901927_thumb.jpg

post-1020-144191901807_thumb.jpg

post-1020-144191901867_thumb.jpg

I was very lucky to get my artwork signed by HJL!

It's a mix of stuff I've done over the years going back to 2003/2004.

The pic with myself and hwang was a new A3 drawing I done especially for this meeting with HJL! So glad he got to see it. Took over a month to complete!!!

I greet HJL and give him my drawings to sign.

Toby explains to him that these are drawings I done of him.

I remember the brief conversation we had!

Hwang: You draw?

Me: Yes!

Hwang: Very good!

Me: Thanks!

[ATTACH]1763[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]1764[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]1765[/ATTACH]

Soo AWESOME!! :bigsmile:

ive seen the guy at the front middle- right, grey/silver fox hair and black Tee.

Anyone familiar or maybe a member on here?

That's Toby Russell, I think you are on about

Say you all.

How tall is Master HJL?

Either this guy is really tall or HJL is very short.

029_zpsf01fe1cc.jpg

GD Y-Y

That's my friend Aaron, he's 6 foot 5" tall

Say you all.

How tall is Master HJL?

Either this guy is really tall or HJL is very short.

GD Y-Y

I am 5 foot 7 and a half and if you see the pic of him and me, he is around 5 foot 6 I'd say.

Archived