Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)

OpiumKungFuCracker

OpiumKungFuCracker

Oh boy how can I put this? You know how you watch a badass shaw brothers movie and wish you were one of the five deadly venoms? This movie makes me want to be Australian in the outback, wreaking havoc. It is glorious my friend, just absolutely glorious.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Secret Executioner
Great way to see these films for the first time on the big screen. Been a fan of these movies longer than Ive been a fan of the Martial Arts genre. Mad Max 2 was the first film I bought on VHS with my own money.

An excellent first buy my friend, Mad Max 2 is a really fun movie. And it was indeed a great experience seeing these two on the big screen.

ShaOW!linDude
Oh boy how can I put this? You know how you watch a badass shaw brothers movie and wish you were one of the five deadly venoms? This movie makes me want to be Australian in the outback, wreaking havoc. It is glorious my friend, just absolutely glorious.

How was the Q & A? And just how many cars did you plow into on the way home after sitting through this?

OpiumKungFuCracker
How was the Q & A? And just how many cars did you plow into on the way home after sitting through this?

George Miller is a genius, action genius. You can find the streaming here:

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2015/05/09/mad-max-fury-road-livestream

Unfortunately I have a very environmental friendly vehicle that prevented me from destruction, lol. As soon as the apocalypse come, I'll have my car turned into demolition derby!

DragonClaws
An excellent first buy my friend, Mad Max 2 is a really fun movie. And it was indeed a great experience seeing these two on the big screen.

Thanks, whats odd is I saw them in the wrong order. The first one I watched was Part 3 on T.V and later Part 2 on T.V also. Then I caught the first one by borrowing a friends VHS copy. The only time Ive seen a trilogy backwards lol. Luckily with these films there's only the main character linking them.

Secret Executioner
Thanks, whats odd is I saw them in the wrong order. The first one I watched was Part 3 on T.V and later Part 2 on T.V also. Then I caught the first one by borrowing a friends VHS copy. The only time Ive seen a trilogy backwards lol. Luckily with these films there's only the main character linking them.

I found the connection between the first two really loose indeed, a bit like the connection between OAB and Master Of The Flying Guillotine - and I saw the sequel before the first film in this case BTW. :xd:

Unfortunately I have a very environmental friendly vehicle that prevented me from destruction, lol. As soon as the apocalypse come, I'll have my car turned into demolition derby!

Don't forget to plant a booby trap in case people try to steal your gasoline. :tongue:

DragonClaws
I found the connection between the first two really loose indeed, a bit like the connection between OAB and Master Of The Flying Guillotine - and I saw the sequel before the first film in this case BTW. :xd:

Don't forget to plant a booby trap in case people try to steal your gasoline. :tongue:

When the first film was originally released in the states they dubbed it. WB claimed people couldn't understand the Australian accents. They even changed the engine sounds of the cars too. The U.K release was identical to the Australian print in terms of audio.

Secret Executioner
When the first film was originally released in the states they dubbed it. WB claimed people couldn't understand the Australian accents. They even changed the engine sounds of the cars too. The U.K release was identical to the Australian print in terms of audio.

That's funny, I had no issue with the accents here - but I do have issues with British accents. :squigglemouth:

DragonClaws
That's funny, I had no issue with the accents here - but I do have issues with British accents. :squigglemouth:

I have trouble with some British accents & I'm British lol.

I did that when I was 12 with The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I started with Part 3, then Part 2, then Part 1.

BacK To Mad Max, I totally want to see this not only because I love the films, but I became a fan of Tom Hardy's after seeing Bronson and The Dark Knight Rises.

One Armed Boxer

So, I stumbled across these guys on my lunch break today -

sHam3E1-juo

Me and the old man will be seeing it in IMAX 3D this Saturday. It can't come quick enough!

Just seen it. My word, it's less a film more a visceral experience, some of the most stunning action cinematogrophy I've seen for a long time, all sweeping shots and fluid camera movement, beautiful. Tom Hardy is brilliant as usual, as is Charlize Theron, at one point they have a fight scene that is just brutal. All I can say is see it. Just go and see it!

How big a part does Nicholas Hoult have? I can't stand that little bastard.

He's in it quite a lot, but his character is not bad, plays it very much over the top. Incidentally why don't you like him? I'm not a huge fan, but I saw him in an amazing one off drama a few years ago that I've never been able to find since and his performance left a good impression, I think it was called Coming Down the Mountain.

Just seen it. My word, it's less a film more a visceral experience, some of the most stunning action cinematogrophy I've seen for a long time, all sweeping shots and fluid camera movement, beautiful. Tom Hardy is brilliant as usual, as is Charlize Theron, at one point they have a fight scene that is just brutal. All I can say is see it. Just go and see it!

Well said! Couldn't agree more!

Love how they used the band as the "soundtrack" :) Good stuff. After all these years, George Miller still has the edge! Only thing missing is Mel Gibson! Tom Hardy was good, don't get me wrong, but Mel is Max Max. Period.

As it stands, here is my favorites of the saga in order:

1. Road Warrior

2. Mad Max

3. Mad Max Fury Road

4. Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

If there was one criticism I would make it is that Max starts the film but then it becomes Furiosa's story, which is still interesting, just felt that Max needed to be more central, particularly during the middle of the film. Nevertheless, a great action film and it shows good signs for the future!

DragonClaws

Caught this the other day with my girlfriend and it knocked us out. George Miller at 70 years old has really shown up the likes of Michael Bay, McG and the more younger new wave of Hollywood directors. There's so much going for this film I couldn't even begin to review it. Hands down the best big budget studio action film Ive seen on the big screen. Gonna take my dad to see it Friday night, he got into these films many years ago. My one tiny gripe is Tom Hardy should have played Max's son rather than taking on Mel Gibsons role. Really wish they could have paired them up in the film.

Found it rather eh. It is an action movie. Its not plot or dialogue heavy and that really did work for the way it was presented. Lot of set pieces. Unfortunately, i saw the previous MM pictures. This was heavy in cgi. Well done cgi but its there. Its the fire(I hate cgi fire), its backgrounds, its stunts.

I can tell when i'm looking at cgi cars, men, backgrounds, explosions. The great thing about RW and MMBT is that everything happening on screen happened in that shot. That's what makes those set pieces so amazing. Here I could tell ever flame that wasn't real and every person falling wasn't real etc. It took me out of how big this could have been had it been real. It never felt real. The color saturation/filter made too much of the picture in general look off, cgi'ed. I never settled into the picture as a result. 100 + million to make and it just made me remember all of the other MM pictures, stunts. Not to mention, this is MM in title only. Wasn't about the MM character, nor was it a star making vehicle for Hardy. They pretty much could have done the same things yet called it something else. That would have worked for me as the cgi separates it from the MM pictures.

OpiumKungFuCracker
Found it rather eh. It is an action movie. Its not plot or dialogue heavy and that really did work for the way it was presented. Lot of set pieces. Unfortunately, i saw the previous MM pictures. This was heavy in cgi. Well done cgi but its there. Its the fire(I hate cgi fire), its backgrounds, its stunts.

I can tell when i'm looking at cgi cars, men, backgrounds, explosions. The great thing about RW and MMBT is that everything happening on screen happened in that shot. That's what makes those set pieces so amazing. Here I could tell ever flame that wasn't real and every person falling wasn't real etc. It took me out of how big this could have been had it been real. It never felt real. The color saturation/filter made too much of the picture in general look off, cgi'ed. I never settled into the picture as a result. 100 + million to make and it just made me remember all of the other MM pictures, stunts. Not to mention, this is MM in title only. Wasn't about the MM character, nor was it a star making vehicle for Hardy. They pretty much could have done the same things yet called it something else. That would have worked for me as the cgi separates it from the MM pictures.

I'm pretty sure it was more practical than it was CG. The Storm was CG but how the hell can you make a real life Storm sand, wait for a real one, lol. Can you be more specific as to what scene really stood out as being CG? Don't say the guy diving head first with a freaking spear into a spiked war vehicle during an explosion was CG??? Don't you dare call that one CG, it was so real dude. so real.

DragonClaws

I hate the excessive use of CGI in a lot of new films but had no problem with Fury Road. Yes it's easy to spot the CGI used in the film. But they used it for the shots they couldn't create practically. There's just some stunts/set pieces that you cant create without using CGI. For me it was old school film making with 21st century technology.

Drunken Monk

I haven't been through the entire thread, but did anyone notice some undercranking at the beginning of the film? I know it was probably a style choice, but nobody seems to be talking about it.

As for the film...it's INCREDIBLE. Just a journey from start to finish. I loved every second of it and despite it being a series of amazing action sequence, Miller really manages to create a believable world.

DragonClaws

I noticed it during the sequence where Max tries to escape from the war boys. Also the fight between Max and Furisoa appeared to have a bit of under cranking too.

I enjoyed it just as much second time round. There were a lot of little details I missed on the first screening.

George Miller has already announced he plans to do a second movie entitled Mad Max; The Wasteland.

Tigerstyles

I to thought it was a brilliantly entertaining film, but Mad MAX wasn't at all that mad, infact very placid Max

Archived