As the Gods Will (2014) - More Bloody High School Mayhem from Miike Takashi!

One Armed Boxer

One Armed Boxer

Miike Takashi seems to be back to his old self of late. First we had the blood soaked 'Lesson of the Evil', then we have the equally bloody 'Over Your Dead Body' to look forward to, and now we have his latest - 'As the God Will', an adaption of the manga of the same name.

Like 'Lesson of the Evil', this one looks like it promises a pretty high death count of high school students, check out the trailer below

OUDOsqAus0c

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I forgot to post this promo video before...

uSUHHajccvk

img_poster_us.jpg

The tagline is even better in English than in Japanese ("Daruma doll killed them")

This is by far the movie I am most looking forward to this whole year. As God Says >> kung fu jungle/wolf war..anything! Oh man Id give my left nut to see this opening night (with English subs)

One Armed Boxer
When is this hitting the theatres?

Poster states 15th November, for those that can't read Japanese it also states that left nuts won't be accepted as payment.

Just came back from the theater. It was alright, not great but not so bad either.

The good: It’s a kind of fun concept; the opening especially is effective. There are imaginative moments throughout the film. There’s a lot of CGI is but it’s very well made. At times I wasn’t sure if it was hand-drawn animation or CGI imitating the style of hand-drawn animation. Visually the film is solid; not quite as good looking as Lesson of Evil, but still solid.

The bad: while it’s a fun concept, it’s very repetitive. Almost 2 hours is too much for this. Also, most of the cast is pretty terrible. Again, Lesson of Evil is a good comparison. That film had pretty slim characters played popular young stars, but many of them were decent actors. Here we have mostly pretty faces with rather non-existent acting skills. We also have some character drama that really doesn’t work with in this mix. Furthermore, it seems like they were aiming at pg-12 but accidentally got R-15. Lots of exploding heads and some severed limbs, but mostly off-screen.

Overall: it’s an entertaining-enough one time watch, but it kind of feels like a Noboru Iguchi film made a bit more professionally. The best way to see the film is certainly without knowing anything about it, like I did, meaning don’t watch the trailer! That being said, the trailer is a very honest representation of the film; so, that’s exactly what you will be getting.

Any ideas of an English subtitle blu Ray release? I know it didn't get the best reviews, but this was my 2014 most antisipated release by far

Bump... Any news of a blu ray release? Japanese movies are the hardest to locate. I search the Internet for any release date, but no luck

Bump... Any news of a blu ray release? Japanese movies are the hardest to locate. I search the Internet for any release date, but no luck

It's still in theaters.

I hate when movies like this end in that "their better be a second movie" kinda way. With a guy like Miike, it's no guarantee we will ever get that next one (like lessons of evil) I still wish I could watch this movie. This was and still is my most antisipated release.

I'm sorry if it seems like I'm Beating a dead horse, but I have been looking for this movie on DVD for a long time and can't find anything on it. Has this been released on DVD or is it planning anytime soon?

One Armed Boxer
I'm sorry if it seems like I'm Beating a dead horse, but I have been looking for this movie on DVD for a long time and can't find anything on it. Has this been released on DVD or is it planning anytime soon?

Maybe a little buddy, this is the 4th time you've asked. I can 100% guarantee you that none of us on here have a magic wand that tells us when the movie will get an English subtitled release any sooner than you can find out yourself. Just check in on the usual sites - amazon, yesasia, dddhouse etc. If there's an English subtitled release planned, I'm sure one if not all of these sites will stock it. & when they do, feel free to let us know.

Archived