The Admiral: Roaring Currents (2014) - New Movie from Director of 'War of the Arrows'

One Armed Boxer

One Armed Boxer

Choi Min-sik will return to the screen for a second time in 2014 after starring in Luc Besson's latest, 'Lucy', this time on native soil for director Kim Han-min's new movie, 'The Admiral: Roaring Currents', his first since 2011's popular 'War of the Arrows'.

Min-sik will play Admiral Yi Sunshin, a name that almost every Korean person knows, as he was the strategist who lead the Korean military to victory over the Japanese, using a fleet of just 13 ships against Japan's fleet of over 300. Sunshin has been the subject of plenty of Korean drama series and comics, however this will be the first time the tale is brought to the big screen.

Check out the trailer below -

XDoL8BCm0p0

fullsizephoto463197.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is one of 2 Korean period movies that I am waiting for next month.

The other is The Pirates.

Hopefully I have enough time on my SEA trip next month to catch them on the big screen.

There are a few other movies that I want to see on the big screen while in Asia but I may not have the time: Sea Frog, Tunnel 3D, The Suffered & Haru being the main ones.

One Armed Boxer
There are a few other movies that I want to see on the big screen while in Asia but I may not have the time: Sea Frog, Tunnel 3D, The Suffered & Haru being the main ones.

I heard Kermit is in negotiations to play the lead for this one.:tongue:

I heard Kermit is in negotiations to play the lead for this one.:tongue:
Ha ha, Kermit didn't get the role.

Ms. Piggy got jealous when she found out that Han Ye-ri would be his co-star and forbid him.

She told him that if he went ahead and make the movie then his next role would be in "Survival of the Mountain Chickens".

My bad on the miss-spell. :tongue:

CJ Entertainment USA is releasing this on DVD and Blu-Ray on April 28. I got the advanced Blu-Ray and watched it yesterday. I will be posting this on my other film blog, but I will say, it was a very exciting film, especially the second half of the film, which focuses on the battle itself. Choi Min-Sik hands down earned his Grand Bell Best Actor award for this and seeing how the battle was created even was more astounding (making of featurette was a special feature with 30 minutes of extended/deleted scenes)

The movie wasn't a total clunker. It was an ok movie. Like The Battle of Red Cliff, Roaring Currents deals with one battle in Admiral Lee Soon Shin's career. I guess the recent tension with Japan along with national pride helped to sell extra tickets.

Archived