The Last Dragon (1985)

OpiumKungFuCracker

OpiumKungFuCracker

So yes, I saw this last night at the alamo drafthouse here in Texas with a brand new 4K digital print on the fucking big screen. The experience was fucking awesome!!!! My question is, this was the only movie of its kind, really? I would think Hollywood would jump in on this opportunity, why is RZA of all people giving the opportunity to ruined all of this????

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NoKUNGFUforYU

End of an era. Cosby show gave African Americans hope to jump from exploitation to upper middle class. Living Colour was just around the corner. Ninjas, tmnt, power Rangers all stepped in, all Japanese, along with the Karate Kid.Kung Fu was out, the exception of Roadhouse , which did not do that well.

So yes, I saw this last night at the alamo drafthouse here in Texas with a brand new 4K digital print on the fucking big screen. The experience was fucking awesome!!!! My question is, this was the only movie of its kind, really? I would think Hollywood would jump in on this opportunity, why is RZA of all people giving the opportunity to ruined all of this????

Classic. One of the best U.S.-made MA films; one of the best movies of the 80s.

As far as movies similar? Good luck. The only other movie that meets the overall standard is Big Trouble in Little China. Both films are a great dedication to classic kung fu film.

Have you seen Year of the Dragon? (Mickey Rourke) Amazing, underrated movie.

But I don’t get your question regarding RZA and Hollywood jumping at the opportunity.

Ahhhhh tat bastards!

OpiumKungFuCracker
Classic. One of the best U.S.-made MA films; one of the best movies of the 80s.

As far as movies similar? Good luck. The only other movie that meets the overall standard is Big Trouble in Little China. Both films are a great dedication to classic kung fu film.

Have you seen Year of the Dragon? (Mickey Rourke) Amazing, underrated movie.

But I don’t get your question regarding RZA and Hollywood jumping at the opportunity.

Ahhhhh tat bastards!

What I mean is why did it almost 2 decades before Hollywood decided to give RZA a shot at this? You know what I mean? The Iron was striking hot in the 80s and now all of a sudden Hollywood wants to recreates this magic again, and RZA of all people? Have you seen Man with Iron Fist?

OpiumKungFuCracker

I was gonna add the Rush Hour series that's similar to The Last Dragon but I hate the Rush Hour series, anyone? One of the most overrated buddy cop franchises I've seen.

Secret Executioner
I was gonna add the Rush Hour series that's similar to The Last Dragon but I hate the Rush Hour series, anyone? One of the most overrated buddy cop franchises I've seen.

Agreed... So horrid.

family_guy_barfing.gif

Never got the love that the Rush Hour series got. The Shanghai series with Owen Wilson was better. Not by much, but better.

OpiumKungFuCracker

Would black dynamite be something similar to last dragon? Or is that more blaxploitation?

Morgoth Bauglir

Black dynamite is a tribute to blaxploitation and kung fu movies. I'm not big on blaxploitation but i had a great time watching it.

What I mean is why did it almost 2 decades before Hollywood decided to give RZA a shot at this? You know what I mean? The Iron was striking hot in the 80s and now all of a sudden Hollywood wants to recreates this magic again, and RZA of all people? Have you seen Man with Iron Fist?

Nope, and I never will, unless it happens naturally. ;)

the-last-dragon-movie-poster-1985-1020191843.jpg

Sunday, March 22 will be the 30th anniversary of the theatrical release of the 1985 flick The Last Dragon. This is one of those films that many fans can't get enough of. Recently, Taimak Guariello (Leroy), Ernie Reyes Jr. (Tai), and Glen Eaton (Johnny) got together at a 30th anniversary event in Detroit.

This thread is dedicated to the memories of Julius J. Carry III (Sho'Nuff) and Leo O'Brien (Richie Green)

Here are some fun clips from that reunion:

Discussion Panel

bskM5NQFz7c

Ernie and Glen re-enacting their breakdance move after beating one of Sho'Nuff's goons

PlBwbSF5Sj4

You STILL got it, Johnny!!!

LEH48u8vHBE

The original clip: You got it, Johnny!

ZcQ2WowQ3Qo

Archived