The 10 best modern directors from Mainland China, Hong Kong & Taiwan

DiP

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
masterofoneinchpunch

What is your opinion on this list DiP?

It is very art centered -- possibly too much. Funny as soon as I saw Hou Hsiao-hsien I thought I would see both Tsai Ming-liang and Jia Zhangke (and Edward Yang). An interesting coincidence is that the movie I watched last night was Tsai's Goodbye Dragon Inn. I like Tsai and Jia, though I have not seen any Hou (shame on me). But I like them in small doses. I can't watch them every night (or really even once a week.) The list is too much dominated by Taiwanese and Mainland art-house directors though.

Really with his list Tsui Hark seems like a version of "which one doesn't belong." (I like Tsui Hark, it's just his aesthetics do not really match the others.)

I think Chen Kaige is the "why is he missing" director (using Berra's criteria). Ang Lee seems a conspicuous absence, though he is probably too mainstream for John Berra.

Of course in my opinion the biggest missing auteur is Johnnie To. Seriously with no To, the list is a no go.

Not too familiar with Taiwanese cinema nor with directors from Mainland China. Definitely agree about J. To though.

Not sure if I can name 10 but here goes.

1. Johnny To

2. John Woo

3. Andrew Lau

4. Felix Chong & Alan Mak

5. Peter Chan

6. Wilson Yip

7. Tsui Hark

masterofoneinchpunch

The good aspect about lists is that they tend to give you ideas on future viewings. While I've seen all of Wong Kar-wai's Chinese films (I have not seen his American film), most of Zhang Yimou's films, a decent amount of Tsui Hark, I still have to see many of Ann Hui's staple, any Hou Hsiao-hsien and a mixture of films mentioned in this list.

I wonder if anyone gets annoyed as me when they see City of Sadness mentioned which I've never seen an English-subtitled release of it (there is a youtube release of it with CHinese subtitles which can be translated, this is not the best way for understanding the film though) or A Brighter Summer Day which Criterion had told me they had planned on releasing as their next Taiwanese film (I do of course own Yi Yi). Some of these films mentioned on the list are just so dang hard to find.

A few years back Wong Kar-wai would be the only HK auteur to get mentioned among certain cinephiles (this reminds me of the first Criterion site I used to admin where Chinese cinema seemed to being and end with Wong Kar-wai, Tsai Ming-liang and Hou Hsiao-hsien ) now Ann Hui rightfully gets more recognition these days, but it still seems that art-house directors from Mainland and Taiwan get more recognition than the much more popular HK films. Some critics like David Bordwell and Stephen Teo are huge Johnnie To fans. Some like Jonathan Rosenbaum like Stanley Kwan.

I'll think more (since I'm going to take a walk break) on my top ten modern list but I can guarantee that:

Zhang Yimou,

Johnnie To,

Wong Kar-wai,

John Woo,

would be on there.

With possibly Ang Lee, Chen Kaige, Tsai Ming-liang, Tsui Hark.

I haven't seen enough Ann Hui, Stanley Kwan, Lou Ye, Edward Yang, Tian Zhuangzhuang to consider them.

The good aspect about lists is that they tend to give you ideas on future viewings. While I've seen all of Wong Kar-wai's Chinese films (I have not seen his American film), most of Zhang Yimou's films, a decent amount of Tsui Hark, I still have to see many of Ann Hui's staple, any Hou Hsiao-hsien and a mixture of films mentioned in this list.

I wonder if anyone gets annoyed as me when they see City of Sadness mentioned which I've never seen an English-subtitled release of it (there is a youtube release of it with CHinese subtitles which can be translated, this is not the best way for understanding the film though) or A Brighter Summer Day which Criterion had told me they had planned on releasing as their next Taiwanese film (I do of course own Yi Yi). Some of these films mentioned on the list are just so dang hard to find.

A few years back Wong Kar-wai would be the only HK auteur to get mentioned among certain cinephiles (this reminds me of the first Criterion site I used to admin where Chinese cinema seemed to being and end with Wong Kar-wai, Tsai Ming-liang and Hou Hsiao-hsien ) now Ann Hui rightfully gets more recognition these days, but it still seems that art-house directors from Mainland and Taiwan get more recognition than the much more popular HK films. Some critics like David Bordwell and Stephen Teo are huge Johnnie To fans. Some like Jonathan Rosenbaum like Stanley Kwan.

I'll think more (since I'm going to take a walk break) on my top ten modern list but I can guarantee that:

Zhang Yimou,

Johnnie To,

Wong Kar-wai,

John Woo,

would be on there.

With possibly Ang Lee, Chen Kaige, Tsai Ming-liang, Tsui Hark.

I haven't seen enough Ann Hui, Stanley Kwan, Lou Ye, Edward Yang, Tian Zhuangzhuang to consider them.

I forgot Ang Lee. Despite the dumpster fire of the Hulk.

Secret Executioner

Funnily, I find Ang Lee way overrated. Except for Hulk, I couldn't sit through any film of his I tried to watch - and I'm talking Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and Life Of Pi, two (movies always praised as) masterpieces.

In terms of great directors, my list (if I was to make one) would have:

Tsui Hark

Zhang Yimou

Ann Hui (A Simple Life is marvelous)

Wong Kar Wai (loved The Grandmaster)

Wilson Yip

I'm curious on Johnnie To and Ringo Lam, as I found Triangle which they co-directed (along with Tsui Hark). The film is actually in 3 parts and the parts while forming a coherent narrative, are different as each was directed by one of the 3 directors. The trailer eventually showcases the differences only with short snipets. Looks pretty nice I must say.

My top 10 HK directors would be:

Johnnie To

Ringo Lam

Wilson Yip

John Woo

Wai Ka-Fai

Soi Cheang

Team Alan Mak/Felix Chong

Tsui Hark

Sammo Hung

Jackie Chan

I'm curious on Johnnie To and Ringo Lam, as I found Triangle which they co-directed (along with Tsui Hark). The film is actually in 3 parts and the parts while forming a coherent narrative, are different as each was directed by one of the 3 directors. The trailer eventually showcases the differences only with short snipets. Looks pretty nice I must say.

Highly recommended J. To films:

The Big Heat

Loving You

Beyond Hypothermia

The Odd One Dies

Too Many Ways To Be No. 1

Expect the Unexpected

The Longest Nite

A Hero Never Dies

Running Out of Time

Where a Good Man Goes

Fulltime Killer

PTU

Breaking News

Election 2

Exiled

Eye in the Sky

Mad Detective

Sparrow

Vengeance

Accident

Punished

Life Without Principle

Motorway

Highly recommended R. Lam films:

City on Fire

Prison on Fire

School on Fire

Wild Search

Full Contact

Full Alert

Victim

Secret Executioner
Highly recommended J. To films:

The Big Heat

Loving You

Beyond Hypothermia

The Odd One Dies

Too Many Ways To Be No. 1

Expect the Unexpected

The Longest Nite

A Hero Never Dies

Running Out of Time

Where a Good Man Goes

Fulltime Killer

PTU

Breaking News

Election 2

Exiled

Eye in the Sky

Mad Detective

Sparrow

Vengeance

Accident

Punished

Life Without Principle

Motorway

Highly recommended R. Lam films:

City on Fire

Prison on Fire

School on Fire

Wild Search

Full Contact

Full Alert

Victim

Boy, looks like I have a lot of catching up to do here. :tongue: But thanks for the recommendations.

masterofoneinchpunch
Boy, looks like I have a lot of catching up to do here. :tongue: But thanks for the recommendations.

Semantic Note: several of those mentioned are not Johnnie To directed films (but produced) like Motorway, Accident, Eye in the Sky, Punished. Several are co-directed like The Big Heat, some do not have his name but he directed a decent amount of scenes like The Odd One Dies.

Regardless Johnnie To is one of my favorite directors (and producer). I do think Ang Lee is a pretty good director though. I thought Life of Pi was a magnificent theater experience. If you think Ang Lee is too art house wait till you check out Tsai Ming-liang.

Let me see if I can find my Triangle review. Hmm, apparently I did not post here. Will have to find it. EDIT: I created a new thread in the Reviews section for this film.

Archived