Poll who is your favorite super star.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

I have chose 6 Stars actually 7 who were the most famous of their eras in kung fu movie history.

Here are the 7 choices.

1. Jimmy Wang Yu.

img_actor_Jimmy_Wang_Yu_en.jpg

2. Bruce Lee.

Bruce+Lee+3.jpg

3. David Chiang and Ti Lung as one choice.

2a7efm0.jpg

4. Jackie Chan.

snakecrane1.jpg

5. Donnie Yen.

m6LrqFhNXG2pmDYcSCxwtoA.jpg

6. Jet Li.

JetLi-Shaolin_Temple-front.jpg

My choice's.

1. Jimmy Wang Yu

2. David Chiang and Ti Lung.

3. Bruce Lee (had he made more movies and done period pieces he would have no doubt moved to the # 1).

4. Jackie Chan.

5. Jet Li.

6. Donnie Yen.

Jimmy Wang Yu is my fav because I really enjoyed his many period films.

GD Y-Y

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NoKUNGFUforYU

Over the years, it works out like this-

1. Bruce Lee, as ,it stands now, I've seen too many of his movies repeatedly, but he was the gold standard at one time.

2. Donnie Yen. Right now, I think he's technically better than Bruce Lee, but this has been over time. He could probably have beaten Lee in a real fight, but he's very respectful.

3. Jet Li. Technique wise, in his prime, he was tops at Kung Fu, Wu Shu. As far as bashers where he needs to kickbox and move like a fighter, not so much

4. Jackie Chan. There was a time when I would watch anything with him in it.

5.Fu Sheng- How could he not make this list? He was the number one Kung fu star in Hong Kong once Bruce Lee died and would have given Jackie serious competition in the new modern action comedies.

6. David Chiang and Ti Lung. Ti Lung, yes, David Chiang, no. Chiang looks like he only did what he was shown, when he was shown. Lung looks like he trained on his own, for a long time.

7.Jimmy Wang Yu, he's terrible, but he has been in a lot of movies that are good because he had the budget, talent. Ti Lung or a Fu Sheng would have made those movies much better.

with him in it.

5.Fu Sheng- How could he not make this list? He was the number one Kung fu star in Hong Kong once Bruce Lee died and would have given Jackie serious competition in the new modern action comedies.

I am propably asking for my nose getting bleed in virtual world but no way I would include fu sheng into top 10. Top20 barely...He never appeared for me big time. He can give solid acting performance tho, like in avenging eagle.I like many movies he is in but that is not because of him purely...

Over the years, it works out like this-

1. Bruce Lee, as ,it stands now, I've seen too many of his movies repeatedly, but he was the gold standard at one time.

2. Donnie Yen. Right now, I think he's technically better than Bruce Lee, but this has been over time. He could probably have beaten Lee in a real fight, but he's very respectful.

3. Jet Li. Technique wise, in his prime, he was tops at Kung Fu, Wu Shu. As far as bashers where he needs to kickbox and move like a fighter, not so much

4. Jackie Chan. There was a time when I would watch anything with him in it.

6. David Chiang and Ti Lung. Ti Lung, yes, David Chiang, no. Chiang looks like he only did what he was shown, when he was shown. Lung looks like he trained on his own, for a long time.

7.Jimmy Wang Yu, he's terrible, but he has been in a lot of movies that are good because he had the budget, talent. Ti Lung or a Fu Sheng would have made those movies much better.

I feel that what David Chiang lacked in martial arts ability he made up for by being one of the best actors in the genre. Either way, out of the choices given, Chiang/Lung would be my favorite.

Could Lo Lieh be considered a superstar due to King Boxer? If so he is my top easily, lol.

1 Adam Cheng

2 David Chiang alone or with Ti Lung or Ti Lung alone

3 Bruce Lee

4 Jet Li

5 Lo Lieh/Wang Yu

6 Yueh Hua

7 Tien Yeh / Kong Ban / Hong Hoi even if they aren't as famous as the other ones mentioned, I think that they don't deserve to be underrated...

And there are so many more who should be in this list : Fu Sheng, Chi Kuan Chun, Chen Kuan Tai, Cheng Hung Lieh..., and I think that back in the early years, Kenneth Tsang, Lam Ka Sing, Walter Tso, Cheung Ying, Shih Kien and Cheung Ying Tsoi would have deserved to be in a list too...

NoKUNGFUforYU

Whatever people might think of Fu Sheng now, he was a huge star in Asia, and to not have him on a list is a little ridiculous. As far David Chiang goes, he is a decent actor, but he never sold me. I am pretty sure Sheng out lasted Chiang as a draw as well. It says Superstars.

NoKungfu, have you seen Blood Brothers?. Yeah, there are quite a few who could be on this list, but I will be completely honest and say I have NO IDEA who would be considered a superstar in Hong Kong in the 60s-80s.

NoKUNGFUforYU

Yes, it's a good acting performance, but the fight between the two is not that good. Very depressing flick, so I only watched it once. I won't lie, I watch the movies for thrills and spills. Chiang just didn't thrill me. If he was really such a good actor he would have moved into leading man roles or comedy

Yes, it's a good acting performance, but the fight between the two is not that good. Very depressing flick, so I only watched it once. I won't lie, I watch the movies for thrills and spills. Chiang just didn't thrill me. If he was really such a good actor he would have moved

Ah, well different strokes for different folks. I actually didnt think the movie was anything special the first time I watched it, and I actually just began to appreciate David Chiang within the last couple of months tbh. I agree trhat the fight was nothing special.

Morgoth Bauglir
I feel that what David Chiang lacked in martial arts ability he made up for by being one of the best actors in the genre. Either way, out of the choices given, Chiang/Lung would be my favorite.

Could Lo Lieh be considered a superstar due to King Boxer? If so he is my top easily, lol.

Lo Lieh is definitely a superstar. When Wang Yu left SB I think Lo Lieh was their #1 star for a year or two.

What about Cheung Lik? Was he popular enough in his basher days to be on this list? Also what about Lo Rei? I would ask about some more like Bruce Leung and Billy Chong but i don't think they ever gained as much popularity as Cheung Lik and Lo Rei. I just don't know.

As everyone knows, I love the basher era so my picks would be:

1. Bruce Lee (Naturally)

2. Wang Yu (Badass brawler with great cinematic ideas)

3. David Chiang, Ti lung & Chen Kuan Tai (Brilliant team)

4. Lo Lieh (Because King Boxer stared it all....)

5. Angela Mao Ying (Because she could kick some serious ass)

6. Bruce Li (Dubious start but became a star in his own right)

7. Sonny Chiba (As The Streetfighter he was unstoppable!) /Fu Sheng (a tragic loss)

(Honourable mentions to the guys who weren't "Stars"...Chang Yi , Yu Young, Ku Feng, Wu Ma,...)

Something that has surprised me not just in this thread, but throughout the forum in is that Gordon Liu does not seem to be many peoples favorite. He is well respected, but you don't see many calling him a favorite. Maybe this warrants it's own thread? Lol, just a thought/observation.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

To hell with MY poll set up.

I agree there are so many super stars.

Your choices are ALL most certainly valid.

Thanks.

GD Y-Y

If one can mention the women also in this list, then here is my list :

1 Angela Mao

2 Chia Ling / Lily Li

3 Cheung Ching Ching even if she doesn't seem to have had a great popularity, she is great !!

4 Shan Kuan Ling Fung

5 Nancy Yen / Nora Miao

6 Lee Shu

7 Connie Chan / Yu So Chau / Fung Bo Bo for the early years

NoKUNGFUforYU

Cheung Ching Ching was really hot. I think part of the reason she is not that famous is that she slowed down a lot after 1972, as the kung fu craze was cranking up. Didn't she retire in 74'? Nice list, BTW.

Something that has surprised me not just in this thread, but throughout the forum in is that Gordon Liu does not seem to be many peoples favorite. He is well respected, but you don't see many calling him a favorite. Maybe this warrants it's own thread? Lol, just a thought/observation.

Interesting note there. He has skills and charisma but he did not came into my mind either. For me reason is quite obvious I do not like that much nonviolent kungfu movies. LKL made good ones alot but my absolute favs are bloodthirsty flicks.

How are we defining "superstar?"

This is also stumped me, and I feel many are over looking it as well.

Chen Kuan Tai is not mentioned either.

Edit; ok it was in shukos list but his "own" movies(iron monkey, boxer from shantung, killer constable) more remarkable than team-ups.

masterofoneinchpunch
This is also stumped me, and I feel many are over looking it as well.

I think people tend to pick their personal favorites instead of the topic.

Going by merriam webster for Superstar:

a star (as in sports or the movies) who is considered extremely talented, has great public appeal, and can usually command a high salary

So I think a combination of high box office tallies, salary, articles about said star. The term would not be who "you" would go to pay, but who "many" would go to pay at a particular time period. Of course a superstar would be a headliner, but also a headliner for a big budget film.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG
I think people tend to pick their personal favorites instead of the topic.

Going by merriam webster for Superstar:

So I think a combination of high box office tallies, salary, articles about said star. The term would not be who "you" would go to pay, but who "many" would go to pay at a particular time period. Of course a superstar would be a headliner, but also a headliner for a big budget film.

You summed it up.

Its all personnel taste.

In this genre there really are many, many superstars.

GD Y-Y

masterofoneinchpunch
You summed it up.

Its all personnel taste.

In this genre there really are many, many superstars.

GD Y-Y

Well actually no. There are very few superstars. I was just saying people pick their personal preference (getting some alliteration going here.) If we are going to go by the definition there are only a certain amount of superstars at a time -- actors who a lot of people would pay to watch (or pay attention to.) Just because we love someone's acting ability or presence doesn't make them a superstar. Also a person who is a superstar is rarely a superstar for their whole career. It is usually just a particular time period where they are. Sometimes they die at their peak, sometimes they heyday is in the past.

Bruce Lee -- superstar (I would can him both an icon and an iconoclast.) He is the easiest to state as one.

What's interesting and of note here, is Jimmy Wang Yu's situation; he didn't "leave Shaw's house" he broke his contract... The legal decision made afterward was to ban him from filming in HK-for life. That's quite severe.

What kind of films would he had made, with his box office leverage, and ideas? Taiwan received him well, though...

I'd have to pick him... The love for Lee is obvious, but he was only around for a short time.

Ti Lung, to me, is second.

Archived