Sound Effects in Fight Scenes

There's more to fight scenes than we're aware of. We can all go our ways pointing out how fight scenes are choreographed, shot, and edited. But no matter how well fight scenes are done in those regards, choosing appropriate sound effects is as important. In fact, sound can do wonders for well-choreographed, -shot, and -edited fight scenes by enhancing them with sound that reaches out. So imo, if film-makers nails the camerawork, editing, overall choreography of a fight scene but fails with the sound than the fight scene is not complete. Here's a comparison of three fight scenes:

Original Sound

uFV4Yn1N6iU

w33LC8DOJkk

i_h5mVxlw_M

Custom Sound

5lMqqUl9uco

JHiAswsrzKc

VTPUlw4kELM

What's your opinion on this?

My opinion are "fight" sound effects are VERY important. Awful sound effects can ruin a perfectly choreographed fight. I recently watch Lethal Weapon 4, and its sound effects were amazing!

In 70s/80s films, I don't think it mattered, since they all had the same sound effects. But nowadays, it makes a world of difference. The proof is in your post.

Drunken Monk

I found that some of the custom jobs sounded too crunchy...too "meaty." Like they were slightly over-emphasized. The original sounds are more subtle but sometimes too subtle.

I love good sound effects. Too often kung fu cinema gets criticized for its cheesy sounds but, minus one or two methods, I've always loved how fights sound and think it contributes largely to how much a scene is enjoyed.

Cognoscente

It's a musical genre in and of itself when you factor in the deliberate rhythms that choreographers like Jackie incorporate into their fights.

• Like 1