Into the Badlands (2015-2019) - Daniel Wu, Emily Beecham, Nick Frost

AlbertV

The first episode was great. Fights were good and surprisingly varied between grounded and fantastical, unarmed and weapons, as well as fancy and brutal. I really dig the mish mash of themes/genres i.e. Western, mafia, fantasy.  The story is off to a good start too. The presentation of the show is definitely similar to the walking dead in many ways, which is also a plus for me.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ShaOW!linDude

I liked it, but I guess we'll see how it holds up. I liked the mix of genres, too. Seems kind of interesting. My only qualm is the editing in the fight scenes. A couple of the wire-assisted moves were a little corny, but overall I really enjoyed the impacts. And one of the falls made me absolutely cringe and groan out loud. I think I enjoyed the end fight better than the opening fight. May have to watch it again to decide.:wink

Probably due to the timeslot, right after Walking Dead. Maybe trying to bring in some of that audience. It's sandwiched in between the Dead show and the talkie thing with Hardwick. Slick move.

Grasshopper Sage

Was lurking earlier & thought I should check out this topic. I remembered Into the Badlands on Saturday, forgot Sunday into Monday early morning, and finally got around to watching the second episode earlier tonight. Has anyone else had a chance to check out the new episode? I'm really liking where this series is headed. Lots of cool fight scenes, great story arcs that are filling out nicely, and I'm really loving the set & costume design although I had my doubts at first. We'll see where this ends up after six episodes but this is definitely making it's way up my list of favorite miniseries.

I'd love to discuss this further but I'm a bit iffy on how exactly to use spoiler tags if there are any on this forum. I'd hate to spoil anything about the show, every moment is a treat. Maybe I'm just super hyped to have Kung Fu on the home screen.

:monk_smh:

(Please ignore my overly excited post about some of the best television ever.)

OpiumKungFuCracker

2nd episode was great. Tons of characters with a shade of interest, it's the best. Action is also very interesting and holds up my attention. It's not anal retentive like most shows on tv in terms of action choreography. 

Grasshopper Sage

I watched episode three on & off while it aired. First I noticed El Ray was featuring "Enter the Dragon" so I kept switching to that during commercials. Then I saw Regular Show had a movie on Cartoon Network so I couldn't pass that up especially when I find Rigby so relatable every time.

Anyway, great episode. Quinn kind of seems like he's losing it, plenty of loved ones getting into dicey situations, I really enjoyed the wheelchair fight and of course whenever the Widow throws down. I'll post a bit more after I rewatch #3 and I should probably check up on the comic while I'm at it. I feel the need to say this every time although on this forum I'm really just preaching to the choir but I'm ecstatic about having martial arts focused show on television.

Hope everyone else is enjoying this show as well.

:monk_eating:

I DVRed the show last night and watched it with my mom after I got home from work. She is really liking the show as much as I do. The opening of episode three was exciting to watch and love how the show is developing in terms of the story.

Damn, I missed 2+3 due to a new job and work hours. Sounds like they were the best yet. I'll have to wait til some reruns or a possible marathon. Pointless to continue midway missing crucial story elements.

I don't care what anyone says, I saw that first fight and was immediately sold. It feels so good to see martial arts on tv and I loved what I saw. I'm excited as hell to get home and watch the rest of the episode.

If you go to the AMC site (http://www.amc.com/into-the-badlands), you can watch the episodes there in streaming. 

We've reached the homestretch. The finale is this Sunday! Great buildup with this last episode...I hope they renew this series. Stephen Fung really knows how to work the camera when it comes to the action scenes :)

OpiumKungFuCracker

I hope this gets renewed for a 2nd season. I'm skeptic of course since this is a Martial Arts show. They normally don't last after 1 season. I'd be shocked if it did. Let's hope!!

Morgan Benoit really busted his butt stunt wise...he was Daniel Wu's first opponent as one of the nomads, then he doubled for Marton Csokas' Quinn, and then he played one of the monks alongside Cung Le in the finale, which by the way was awesome. Hands down, they better confirm Season 2...I gotta see what will happen to Sunny and M.K. and some questions still need to be answered.

Just got through watching the season finale and overall I have to say, this is a damn good show.

The finale did what it needed to: answered some questions, raised a few more and put the main characters in new and interesting places.

Fingers crossed for a 2nd season.

The show hit a bit of a slump when it started favoring plot over action, but that only lasted two episodes before it got back on track again. I thoroughly enjoyed this mini-season and truly hope it gets a second one.
That finale! Cung Le and Mickey Facchinello! I just hope they keep the "magic" to a minimum and allow the characters to physically take on each other without any gimmicks.

I love the widow so much. She got beat up by Sunny bad though. I was hoping that fight would favor her of sorts. Let's hope in the next fight scene she actually dominates a fight.

Very good series.  Looking forward to next season.

Make sure y'all check out EL REY Network for great old Kung Fu movies and some other classics.  In Atlanta, it is channel 195.  - Watching Invincible Shaolin (from 1978 with the Venom Gang) on it now.

daniel-wu-as-sunny-and-nick-frost-as-baj

Nick Frost joins season 2 as new character Bajie...yes named after THAT Bajie. Here he is with Daniel Wu's Sunny in a promo pic.

I can't wait for Season 2, especially with Nick Frost playing the character based on Zhu Bajie, aka Piggy :)

Archived