Into the Badlands (2015-2019) - Daniel Wu, Emily Beecham, Nick Frost

AlbertV

Dark Horizons revealed AMC has this new martial arts series inspired by Journey to the West.

Producing and serving as the series' martial arts choreographers are...Daniel Wu and Stephen Fung. Alfred Gough and Miles Millar are serving as executive producers.

Late 2015/2016

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Variety:

Hong Kong film star Daniel Wu has scored the lead role in AMC's upcoming martial arts series "Badlands," a six-episode straight to series adaptation of the classic Chinese tale "Journey to the West".

Wu plays a ruthless warrior who takes a young boy on a dangerous journey together to find enlightenment. Emily Beecham, Sarah Bolger and Oliver Stark also star in the show which is aiming for a late 2015 or early 2016 release.

Wu will also serve as executive producer and serve as fight choreographer with friend and business partner Stephen Fung.

It's like AMC is catering to my needs. I love this network!!

I'm excited for Daniel Wu. He's getting his due in Hollywood now. I have to admit, he was one of the good things about the original Man with the Iron Fists, appeared in Europa Report, he will be in Warcraft next year (the live action adaptation of World of Warcraft directed by David Bowie's son Duncan Jones) and now this...this sounds like it will be an exciting mini-series...hopefully it will be good enough to get good enough ratings for a full episode order.

Newcomer Aramis Knight has been cast as M.K., the young boy who will join forces with Daniel Wu's warrior named Sunny as they go on a path of enlightenment. Madeleine Mantock (The Tomorrow People) and Ally Ioannides (Parenthood) have also been cast as regular series members.

Shooting of the series is currently underway in New Orleans. Serving as one of the stuntmen of the series is Forbidden Kingdom and Barrio Brawler actor Morgan Benoit, he's posted small on-set pics on his FB page.

The official site with a short teaser promo is up too: http://www.amctv.com/shows/into-the-badlands

ShaOW!linDude

Initially my feelings towards this were meh. I figured it would be a wire-fest. The trailer actually has me intrigued now. I do see some wired moves, but I see a lot of grounded stuff, too. I'll give it a watch.

It does look pretty good...I think I'm going to like it. Even learned that the series action coordinator is Deedee Ku while Stephen Fung is both executive producer and action unit director. Here's a thing AMC did on "Fight Camp" in making the series.

b2icAQrPonU

Drunken Monk

I'm disappointed, to be honest. I think my expectations were high for this and the trailer just isn't what I wanted.

I'll watch it, don't get me wrong. But my anticipation levels have dropped pretty significantly.

Into the Badlands premieres on November 15 at 10pm EST, but before its premiere, AMC is giving the fans FightFest, a two-week martial arts movie marathon from November 2 to November 13. 

Just seen the commercial for this. Not sure what to make of it. Judging from AMC's other productions, it should at least be well-written and entertaining. Bold of them to tackle a show like this. I'll take any kind of MA action on TV at this point.

Someone was watching Drunken Tai Chi because Donnie was in it. Heavy violence I assume there will be more.

That must have been obvious since series action director Deedee Ku is a member of Yuen Woo-Ping's stunt team and YWP did Drunken Tai Chi, so I wouldn't be surprised. Stephen Fung definitely knows his way around the camera as he is the series' action unit director, which means he shoots the action scenes. 

Grasshopper Sage

First part of the comic has been released on AMC's website. Next part should be released on November 13th just before the November 15th release of the series according to io9.

Grasshopper Sage

Confirmed there's been new comic material added & the premiere is tonight! I'll post when I've finished watching the first episode. I'm pretty excited if only to see how this series turns out. Forgive me if I'm missing anything (I really hope I've missed some) but as far as I'm aware, the only recent TV series with some of martial arts would be Arrow, Hannibal (Mads Mikkelsen has some kickass moves, season two premiere & finale have Mads vs. Morpheus, incredible), Into the Badlands, & soon Rush Hour. I love classic martial arts films, modern martial arts films, & to have more be television series with martial arts would be awesome.

:hvb_content:

Not bad. Is this going to be the regular timeslot? Don't like it interrupting my Sunday Night Football. And it seems to be interrupting that stupid talking dead thing.

Grasshopper Sage

I know there's supposed to be six episodes. As for it's timeslot I really don't have a clue. Hardly any info on Wiki or IMDB, neither has it's next episode air date listed. I just watched it & rather enjoyed it. The fight scenes, a couple of the storylines, the setting. I think I'll enjoy this miniseries. I don't know if they have a second season potentially planned for somewhere down the road depending on viewers reception but I think this series could go places if they decide to further explore the world beyond that of the barons storyline.

:monk_concerned:

I saw the AMC website and Sundays at 10pm is the regular time slot for the show. I saw the premiere too and I loved it! Some of Daniel Wu's best on-screen fighting yet and I'm seriously curious about how M.K. will play into everything. This is going to be quite an interesting series. 

OpiumKungFuCracker

I liked it. This show was made for the niche crowd. The majority doesn't give two shits about a martial arts tv show. They rather have slow walkers with talkie talks.

I don't care what anyone says, I saw that first fight and was immediately sold. It feels so good to see martial arts on tv and I loved what I saw. I'm excited as hell to get home and watch the rest of the episode.

Archived