What exactly caused the fall out between Bruce and Lo Wei?

mpm74

Killer Meteor

It's kind of a shame that no great American director ever made a martial arts film - unless I'm forgetting something very obvious. Imagine Martin Scorcese helming Enter the Dragon - with Harvey Keitel as Roper and De Nero as Parsons!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, Coliseum1972 said:

Kubrick ?

Only Kubrick movie he saw , if he ever did see one , was 2001 , i doubt he saw Clockwork Orange and the rest of Kubricks films were released many yrs after Lee's passing

16 hours ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

All Kubrick films, available to Lee and Lo Wei.

According to Mattew Polly's book, the Woody Strode/Kirk Douglas arena fight in Kubrick's Spartacus(1960). Inspired Bruce Lee's choice of setting for the Colt VS Tang ung fight in WOTD.

NoKUNGFUforYU
10 hours ago, Killer Meteor said:

It's kind of a shame that no great American director ever made a martial arts film - unless I'm forgetting something very obvious. Imagine Martin Scorcese helming Enter the Dragon - with Harvey Keitel as Roper and De Nero as Parsons!

You are forgetting the colossal failure, The Killer Elite. Sam Peckinpah "discovered" cocaine (already an alcoholic) on the set and made an awful "martial arts" film. Lots of interesting stories about the production, but the gist was that all the "masters" (mostly LA phonies) were unable to come to an agreement on the fights. In comes Gene LeBell to take charge, which would be fine if it was a grappling movie, but pretty awful as a Karate/Kung Fu/Ninja/Samurai movie. Huge disappointment and probably a reason why most big time directors avoided trying it again. I would say, however, that the 3 Musketeers films from Richard Lester were exceptionally close to a big budget, successful western martial arts and swordplay film.  The reality is that most of what we regard as "real Asian martial arts" are basically mythical, and very, very hard to seriously justify in a Hollywood film helmed by serious writers and actors in a modern setting. Easier to make a Zatoichi film or Seven Samurai. Now we are forgetting that Crouching Tiger was directed by an internationally renowned director, so there is that.

23 minutes ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

You are forgetting the colossal failure, The Killer Elite. Sam Peckinpah "discovered" cocaine (already an alcoholic) on the set and made an awful "martial arts" film.

There was talk around this time of rock drummer extraordinaire Keith Moon, teaming with Ringo Starr. In a Sam Peckinpah directed moive called La Ninja, both Starr and Moon were close friends who lived in L.A at in the mid-70's. How this would have turned out, you can only imagine. This was mentioned in a Kieth Moon biography I own. For a short while he tried to get into acting. I wonder if Killer Elite was actually just a variation of this project?.

26 minutes ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

I would say, however, that the 3 Musketeers films from Richard Lester were exceptionally close to a big budget, successful western martial arts and swordplay film.

These are classics, but I never viewed them this way before.

On 9/1/2019 at 4:14 AM, NoKUNGFUforYU said:
 1962Lolita 
 1960Spartacus 
 1957Paths of Glory 
 1956The Killing 
All Kubrick films, available to Lee and Lo Wei.

I forgot about Spartacus , Lee wasnt in the US in 56-57 , also Lolita and Dr S doesnt seem like his cup of tea 

Cant imagine de Niro in MA film , now Burt Ward perhaps , he had MA bground

2 hours ago, De Ming Li said:

Would Bruce have gotten on better with Chang Cheh? Just speculating....

Maybe he woudl have got better with him?, though he woud still ave the strict Shaw Brother system to deal with.

12 minutes ago, Killer Meteor said:

Chang Cheh and Bruce both enjoyed fetishising the male form, so yeah, match made in heaven.

Interesting term to use, Cheh may have been inspired by the many Italian Peplum film's that were popular in the 60's?. I'm not sure if they both consciously did this, or if its something that just happened at the time.

Word was that Lo Wei, was a Sun Yi On Triad, that he had an order that Jackie should be chopped to pieces if he came back to Hong Kong- thus, Jackie filmed in Taiwan for a couple of year's. Finally actor and member of an opposing Triad, Jimmy Wang Yu offered to help solve matter's by talking to Lo but only fnd himself cornered by unfamiliar Triad henchmen holding water melon knives, - a favored weapon for their razorlike slicing abilities.

Wang Yu was lucky that Policemen happened to be in the area and stopped the carving demonstration. The newpapers only reported that Lo Wei & Wang Yu were called in for questioning, nothing more. Raymond Chow of Golden Harvest eventually settled the matter by buying out Chan's contract. Of course, only those there know if this is the real story.

Dying for Action: The Life & Films of Jackie Chan

Source- https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=BZY3AQAAQBAJ&pg=PT88&lpg=PT88&dq=Lo+Wei+and+the+triads&source=bl&ots=uKxsq2eb6U&sig=ACfU3U3_vekgYeTiyLvNLmnyBmJQSFAayQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi0j9-p1_HlAhVJh1wKHUlBDOc4ChDoATAJegQICRAB#v=onepage&q=Lo Wei and the triads&f=false

Sun Yee On (Chinese: 新義安), or New Righteousness and Peace Commercial and Industrial Guild, is one of the leading triads[1] in Hong Kong and China. It has more than 55,000 members worldwide.[2] It is also believed to be active in the United Kingdom, the United States, France and Belgium.[2][3]

Source- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_Yee_On

Hong Kong Police hunt leaders of two Sun Yee On triad factions after tit-for-tat attacks - (2016-Article)

Heads of Tsim Sha Tsui and Kwun Tong gangs thought to have fled to the mainland.

Source- https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/law-crime/article/1939362/hong-kong-police-hunt-leaders-two-sun-yee-triad-factions

Director and former Teen idol Lo Wei directs Jackie Chan and Nora Miao, on the set of New Fist of Fury(1976).

D0NIOzhX0AA5jrT.jpg

Remember reading in Jackie's book My Life in Action how Wang Yu got Jackie out of the sticky situation with the triads and how he owed Jimmy a favor. Of course Jackie repayed the favor by appearing in the awful Island of Fire, even though his fight scene in it wasn't bad. So Lo Wei was a teen heartthrob huh? I would have never guessed that DC, interesting. 

Killer Meteor

I think the term often assocated with Lo Wei is matinee idol, not teen idol.

Am I the only person who loves Island of Fire?

Guess I just have Lo stuck in my mind as the way he looked in the 70s but I'm sure he looked alot different when he was younger and a movie idol/star. As for Island on Fire, seems several people over at the Cityonfire site kinda liked it according to the reviews.

Archived