What exactly caused the fall out between Bruce and Lo Wei?

mpm74

Anyone? Your input is greatly appreciated

I found this from an old George Tan interview:

20/ 'A Man called Tiger' - What ideas did Bruce incorporate in to 'Way of the Dragon' and did Bruce & Lo Wei fall out over script details?

GT - The whole concept of Way and Tiger are almost identical - Chinese goes to a foreign country and helps damsel in distress. In Tiger, Wang Yu goes to Japan and fights the Yakuza, Lee in Italy against `the Mob'. The REAL reason behind the Lo/Lee `feud' was Raymond Chow. Raymond is the master of `divide and conquer'. Raymond was sleeping with Lo's wife at the time. Imagine what would have happened if Lo found out at that critical point/What if he told Lee to split and form a new company away from Raymond? Raymond was/is a true master. Lee was a novice in that arena.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know there are not a lot of George Tan fans out there, but the guy knows his Bruce Lee stuff.

I find it interesting there's really not a great deal of background of Chow and Lo's business relationship. Being he joined GH after a spell with Shaws, no doubt Lo brought a certain attitude and swagger to this new, low centered, studio.

It may be worth visiting former employees to explore this relationship. I guarantee interesting recounts.

:angel:

Lo Wei was an idiot who failed to recognize the genius of Bruce Lee. Wei insisted upon Lee doing "gimmick" stunts like knocking a guy through a wall and leaving an outline of a person in the wood and having Lee swing around two dummies and knock out a room full of black belts.

The genius of Lee was "realistic" rather than "fantastic" fight choreography.

Lo Wei was an idiot who failed to recognize the genius of Bruce Lee. Wei insisted upon Lee doing "gimmick" stunts like knocking a guy through a wall and leaving an outline of a person in the wood and having Lee swing around two dummies and knock out a room full of black belts.

The genius of Lee was "realistic" rather than "fantastic" fight choreography.

Exactly. Guys like Lo Wei, Han Ying Chieh, and others were stubborn and narrow-minded and part of that older generation who were used to doing things their way for so long without much resistance and along comes a dynamic young new talent called Bruce Lee with new ideas and a fresh perspective, they found this threatening. Instead of being open-minded and giving him a chance, they tried to undermine him...

On 7/11/2014 at 6:26 PM, mpm74 said:

Anyone? Your input is greatly appreciated

I think the root of the fall out between the pair, was when Lo Wei publically claimed to have taught Bruce Lee how to fight on-screen?. He said this in either a T.V or press interview. Which Bruce Lee confronted the director about, during the making of Fist of Fury. From Wei's point of view Lee blew things out of proportion?. He went onto make WOTD, to show the director and his screen rival Jimmy Wang Yu. That he could make a box-office success without Lo Wei help. Hoping that it would surpass his Yellow Faced Tiger project. Which also happened to star Jimy Wang Yu.

It it's true about Chow sleeping with Lo's wife, then their might be more that situation. Perhap's the Golden Harvest boss was trying to benefit from keeping the pair as rival's, rather than alley's?.

BL2921.jpg

I don't believe  it was one specific thing that led to the fall out,  but rather a myriad of things.

At the root of everything was Bruce 's rebelious nature towards authority/authority figures. This was something he carried from a young age and it manifested in many different arenas throughout his life from school to martial arts to the film industry. Bruce was  always anti establishment. The boy was punk rock way before it became fashionable :)

I can't confirm the story about Raymond and Lo's wife, so I wont comment on that.

As for the rest, consider this: Lee never wanted to return to HK and make movies there. Indeed, he knew it was a step back and  felt it  was basically beneath him. Less than a year prior, he was rollin' with big boys in  Tinsel  Town ( Silliphant, Coburn, McQueen) and developing philosophical projects with top production standards that would showcase him in both an artistic and commercial light. Silent Flute was intended to be the 'Easy Rider' of martial art films.

Then he takes a gig in HK solely because he was strapped for cash. He viewed the production values as well as the talent there as subpar and about a hundred steps down from his limited station in Hollywood. So when he sees how a director like Lo Wei operates he's less than impressed. Add to that that Lo himself carried an air of superiority , as if he was an elite Hollywood director in the vein of Peckinpah, and barked orders at the crew like a school Principal, and you've got a recipe for disaster.

The gambling on set, telling the press he taught Bruce fight choreography, link with Jimmy Wang Yu etc was just the icing on the cake to an already very dicey relationship.

NoKUNGFUforYU
3 hours ago, Alan C said:

I don't believe  it was one specific thing that led to the fall out,  but rather a myriad of things.

At the root of everything was Bruce 's rebelious nature towards authority/authority figures. This was something he carried from a young age and it manifested in many different arenas throughout his life from school to martial arts to the film industry. Bruce was  always anti establishment. The boy was punk rock way before it became fashionable :)

I can't confirm the story about Raymond and Lo's wife, so I wont comment on that.

As for the rest, consider this: Lee never wanted to return to HK and make movies there. Indeed, he knew it was a step back and  felt it  was basically beneath him. Less than a year prior, he was rollin' with big boys in  Tinsel  Town ( Silliphant, Coburn, McQueen) and developing philosophical projects with top production standards that would showcase him in both an artistic and commercial light. Silent Flute was intended to be the 'Easy Rider' of martial art films.

Then he takes a gig in HK solely because he was strapped for cash. He viewed the production values as well as the talent there as subpar and about a hundred steps down from his limited station in Hollywood. So when he sees how a director like Lo Wei operates he's less than impressed. Add to that that Lo himself carried an air of superiority , as if he was an elite Hollywood director in the vein of Peckinpah, and barked orders at the crew like a school Principal, and you've got a recipe for disaster.

The gambling on set, telling the press he taught Bruce fight choreography, link with Jimmy Wang Yu etc was just the icing on the cake to an already very dicey relationship.

This was in Matthew Polly's Bio, and it makes a lot of sense. Lee didn't think much of even the Shaw Brother's more polished films, at least that is what he said in an interview, "Mandarin films are a long armed hassle". Filming without sound, dubbing it into Mandarin, etc, etc, probably looked pretty cheap to him, and director Chang Cheh was said to have told Chi Kuan Chun that there were 3 facial expressions, by number. Compare that to even low bro stuff like Dean Martin movies that he made or working with a great actor like James Garner, you can see the difference. I mean without Bruce, those first two films would have been awful. The fight with the Japanese and Ching Wu school is just terribly done. I imagine Wei told Lee a few tricks with camera angles and then said "I taught him how to fight on the screen" and it was just another straw that finally collapsed. I get the feeling that Lee was a fan of Kubrick, who had stunningly high standards himself. 

One thing though, Wei did direct some decent swordplays, so there is that......

16 hours ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

Lee didn't think much of even the Shaw Brother's more polished films, at least that is what he said in an interview, "Mandarin films are a long armed hassle".

You make some great points @NoKUNGFUforYU

I get the impression he really wasn't impressed with Hong Kong cinema. Yet he had huge respect for a lot of Japanese actors & directors. Bruce Lee didnt mind courting Shaw Brtother's in order to get what he wanted from Raymond Chow. Something I'd never considered until reading Mattew Polly's biography. He also still had time set aside for a Shaw Brother's movie the year he died.

16 hours ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

The fight with the Japanese and Ching Wu school is just terribly done.

It has it's moment's, but overall it's a very overated seqeunce. The finale features far better fight choreography. With Bruce Lee demanding he film his own fights, after the Lo Wei on-set fall out. It makes you wonder how much input Lo Wei had on the Japanese School fight.

19 hours ago, Alan C said:

Great post @Alan C

It was also clearly a big clash of the new moive making style meeting the old, with Bruce Lee really shaking the cage from top to bottom. He wanted a better deal for everyone involved, from the stuntmen to the lead actor's.

Killer Meteor

I don't think anyone has ever rated, never mind overated, the fight between the Ching Wu Students and the Japanese. It's very basic pat-a-cake fighting, though I do like the breakdance number James Tien's double does.

NoKUNGFUforYU
5 hours ago, Killer Meteor said:

I don't think anyone has ever rated, never mind overated, the fight between the Ching Wu Students and the Japanese. It's very basic pat-a-cake fighting, though I do like the breakdance number James Tien's double does.

😂

14 hours ago, Killer Meteor said:

Agreed, though I think it also applies to some of the other fights in the film too.

I think the fight featuring Bruce Lee against the Japanese student's. It has some moment's, but it's not his best choreography work.

On 8/30/2019 at 10:28 PM, Killer Meteor said:

I do like the breakdance number James Tien's double does.

Yeah like it or loathe it, that move was ahead of its time in 1972.

Just who came up with this idea?, BL had a sense of humour. Or was it Han Ying-Chieh trying to be more creative.

NoKUNGFUforYU

All the fights without Bruce are Han's work. He wasn't much of barehanded fighting guy, more swordplay.

Killer Meteor
59 minutes ago, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

all i know is that he fought with the dudes brother at the ice factory.

It must be true, I saw it on the SNES game.

Killer Meteor
1 hour ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

All the fights without Bruce are Han's work. He wasn't much of barehanded fighting guy, more swordplay.

I like Han's swordplay choreography, and he's a great on-screen fighter in everything I've seen him in, but I think he never quite got the hand of adapting to more modern styles of empty handed fighting. NEW FIST OF FURY is a case in point: he has Jackie doing the Mantis Fist and it doesn't match up with the first film at all in that manner, way too traditional.

2 hours ago, Killer Meteor said:

Ah, here we go

Cool picture, is the Bruce Lee Dvine Wind site still going?.

2 hours ago, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

all i know is that he fought with the dudes brother at the ice factory.

Kubrick ?

Only Kubrick movie he saw , if he ever did see one , was 2001 , i doubt he saw Clockwork Orange and the rest of Kubricks films were released many yrs after Lee's passing

I think its more likely he was a fan of Leones way of filming.......OUATITW  was released in '69 in the US , he mightve seen that one

NoKUNGFUforYU
1 hour ago, Coliseum1972 said:

Kubrick ?

Only Kubrick movie he saw , if he ever did see one , was 2001 , i doubt he saw Clockwork Orange and the rest of Kubricks films were released many yrs after Lee's passing

I think its more likely he was a fan of Leones way of filming.......OUATITW  was released in '69 in the US , he mightve seen that one

1962Lolita 
 1960Spartacus 
 1957Paths of Glory 
 1956The Killing 
All Kubrick films, available to Lee and Lo Wei.

Archived