The Man With the Iron Fists 2 (2014)

One Armed Boxer

Secret Executioner

Haven't seen it myself as it hasn't been released in France yet, and I think I'll pass.

Considering how bad the first MWTIF was (tried to watch it after I got the DVD and the first few minutes looked dreadful - to the point I stopped watching early on), I can't believe most of the reviews I've read on the forum at kungfucinema.com said this was even WORSE... :thinking

Not that I don't believe what these people say, but I can't picture how it could be even worse than the already horrid first film.

Thephantasm
Despite all indications that it was never going to happen, the sequel to 'The Man With the Iron Fists' is going full steam ahead, and has a release date in the US of 1st December.

Mike Leeder recently confirmed he'd been involved in the casting of the movie, and as well as the RZA, we also have Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa, Rick Yune, Zhu Zhu, Grace Huang, Carl Ng, Andrew Lin, Ocean Hou, & Simon Yin all confirmed as being onboard.

The movie is being directed by Roel Reiné, who is mostly involved in direct-to-DVD productions, most notably for action fans he was the man behind 'The Marine 2' and 'The Scorpion King 3'. Set your expectations accordingly.

No details on plot yet, however the biggest question that this raises is of course it was widely rumoured the RZA agreed to appear in 'Tom Yum Goong 2' on the basis that Tony Jaa would appear in the sequel to 'The Man With the Iron Fists'. Now that the sequel is coming to fruition, it appears that this promise may not happen after all.

Sounds good.

Jaa will perform as usual and with a good screenplay and soundtrack, this should be classic.

One Armed Boxer
Jaa will perform as usual and with a good screenplay and soundtrack, this should be classic.

Sorry to break this to you Thephantasm, but Tony Jaa is nowhere to be found in this movie, so I wouldn't go into it expecting to see any action from him.

Secret Executioner

Tony Jaa was apparently rumored to be in this movie (some story about RZA showing up in Tom Yum Goong 2 and Tony Jaa appearing in TMWTIF 2 as a sort of counterpart or something), but it looks like he is actually NOT in it. :shaking

I feel bad for those who blind-bought this thinking they'd see Tony Jaa. :worried

I just watched this on Netflix. I read how many of you couldn't get through it. I did and have to say it was better than the first one. It wasn't too over the top, seemed more straightforward to me. The action was sporadic but nicely handled, much better than the first film. There were still a few flaws but I kinda liked this one.

Updated: Review is on the main site.

I watched this, I didn't think it was anywhere near as bad as some of the posters said it was. I'd say it was even above average for a straight to DVD U.S action/martial arts film. It was cool to see Richard Ng's son in it too.

I loved a few of Carl's lines in the film...kind of made me laugh. And I felt it was more straightforward than the original. The original was an over the top mess I thought, but under Reine's direction and RZA having a somewhat more complex three-story arc that meshes together, it was better than the original. Sorry everyone, I'm with kami and QueMuchita on this one.

I also watched this on Netflix and I'm surprised to see that anyone enjoyed it and would recommend it. Given that RZA is such a fan, I wanted to root for him in making these two movies and was hopeful that he could pull it off, but the second one is even worse than the first. It actually felt a bit more like a made-for-tv movie.

The characters are as bland as can be and RZA's character is not only secondary, but really could just be taken out of the film altogether. And more importantly, the action is shot terribly and the editing is a mess. It's more of the typical "excessive use of camera motion and quick cuts used to hide bad action" that plagues the genre. There are a few fun moves that are used now and then, when you can actually make them out, but this is a martial arts movie and that part of the movie should shine. I caught myself being taken out of the action in more than one scene when you could tell that a punch or kick didn't come close to landing, but the opponent went flying.

Even the soundtrack doesn't seem to know what it wants to be as it's all over the place and doesn't always fit what's going on during the current scene.

I should have known what I was in for when the villain was explaining how bad ass he was by telling the story of how a prostitute bit off one of his testicles, so he killed her and still had his way with her. Uh...yeah.

And I have to ask, what happened to the sequel preview that was presented at the end of the first movie during the credits (with the Bird Clan)?

If you have Netflix and can check it out for free, well, I still wouldn't recommend it. There are much better choices for your viewing pleasure.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
I also watched this on Netflix and I'm surprised to see that anyone enjoyed it and would recommend it. Given that RZA is such a fan, I wanted to root for him in making these two movies and was hopeful that he could pull it off, but the second one is even worse than the first. It actually felt a bit more like a made-for-tv movie...

If you have Netflix and can check it out for free, well, I still wouldn't recommend it. There are much better choices for your viewing pleasure.

Yikes. :squigglemouth: Same as you, I thought that with RZA being a huge fan that we would get incredible, no-bullshit, old school-style, straight-up kung fu goodness from his films. Not so much from the first one... :sad: And every time I almost watch the sequel I read something like what you just posted, and I pass by it again. I suppose I'll give it a try one of these days.

sifu iron perm
Yikes. :squigglemouth: Same as you, I thought that with RZA being a huge fan that we would get incredible, no-bullshit, old school-style, straight-up kung fu goodness from his films. Not so much from the first one... :sad: And every time I almost watch the sequel I read something like what you just posted, and I pass by it again. I suppose I'll give it a try one of these days.

I fuilly concour with you Bro, plus the rza-rector already teased us with some pretty dope kung fu classic homage, his video for the singlewhich was suppos3ed to be from his most eagerly awaited debut, the cure, Tragedy and his promo piece, wu tang vs golden phoenix, proper grindhouse and old skool texture.

ShaOW!linDude

Why are studios backing this guy and letting him waste good film...or digital memory (as it were)? I watch enough bad fu films. I ain't about to support RZA while doing it.

Drunken Monk

RZA's been half-assing it for years, whether it's music or movies. It seems he got a little bit of mainstream fame and forgot his roots. It seems like likes his celebrity status but doesn't care to put out quality content anymore.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

Well now..........what a drag...this ........is.

Question: "Do you think RZA comes to this forum?"

If so..................I hope HE gets it.

Maybe these critiques will make him want to get IT right.

Good Luck w/ that!

GD Y-Y

Challenge Accepted...

Challenge completed. I must say, this actually wasn't that bad. So much better than the first movie, which I hated. As Albert said, this is more straightforward, less over the top. The finale is a bit disappointing, even though it has scope, it becomes more super-power vs. super-power, but there's a couple tournament fights earlier in the movie that are surprisingly decent. I had no problem making out what was going on. I dunno guys, I think this one should get a little more respect. It's a low-budget Hollywood production with an all Chinese/Thai (and The Rza) cast. No token white person caught in the middle. The music choices were strange at times. I don't really go for songs with lyrics played over fight scenes, but it wasn't as bad as I was dreading. And dang it, the songs are now stuck in my head...

The most surprising thing about the movie is actually the deleted scenes (yes, I bought it). There was more humor, more character background, plot detail, even two more fight scenes here. It was like its own mini movie. Not that the scenes were really long, but they were important. I'm surprised they chose to delete this stuff.

Also, it was edited by Chuck Norris. Lawyered.

While I respect The RZA as a fan of the genre, the issue with the first one was that he overdid it. He threw everything but the kitchen sink in rather than make a true homage to the kung fu film genre. In the original, he added very unnecessary characters and an abundance of over the top gore (I suspect that may have to do with Eli Roth, more known for his horror films, contributing to the screenplay). The only scene I could tolerate in the first film was the Gemini Twins fight scene. But how the hell did Batista turn into X-Men's Colossus...seriously?

I think this was a harsh lesson for the RZA and that's why I think he made the second film more straightforward with minimizing the gore effects (which looked like bad CGI at times). But nevertheless, I would watch this (the second one) again on a Saturday night with the guys while having beer and pizza.

I watch this again today.

It was not as bad as I remembered when I first saw it - I actually enjoyed it the 2nd time around.

When I first saw it, I was expecting something movie like the first movie. And I would say I was bias before I watch it. I am guilty as charged. :crossedlips:

The first viewing was with a few 'Fu friend and the second with the wife.

Also the audience you watch a movie with do have an effect on your opinion/enjoyment of a movie.

GOLDEN DRAGON Y-Y

I saw 67% of it. Still want to finish it. It was not horrible and had some good scenes. The villain was way over the top. A little to much. His dialog was ridiculous to say the least.

GD Y-Y

Guest Anonymous

So far every time the RZA is in a movie it ruins it slightly if not completely. I think his acting sucks, and he has horrible martial arts skills. I thought Man With The Iron Fists 1 totally sucked and was a pain to watch. I doubt the second movie is going to be good.

I think it appeals to Wu Tang Clan music fans because of him only. As much as he praises oldchool kung fu movies he really doesn't do the martial arts film genre any justice. For rappers, I personally think DMX does better movie fight scenes than him. But even DMX sucks at movies.

The Protector 2 was not as great as the first movie, but part of the reason it sucked was the RZA just is not a believable guy in films as well as no way believable as a dangerous person who can fight well. He did better in Brick Mansions though...I guess as a gun toting gangster he plays okay but not a fighter or warrior.

I thought the sequel was worse than the first one (and the first one was bad enough). You can still see the love that RZA has for the genre, but that is just not enough for it to be a good movie, at least for me.

It's nothing I would recommend to anyone, and nothing I would want to watch a second time. If you are on the fence, at least rent it or borrow it from someone before buying.

I actually thought the 2nd one was better. Only person who shined in the 1st was Batista who surprised me. I thought he was going to be horrible. 2nd he surrounded himself with better actors and fighters allowing them to do a large portion of the fighting.

I actually liked the second one better than the first. It wasn't as over the top as the original, more like a straightforward kung fu film with some CGI blood (which is a pet peeve for me), but comparing this to the original, I would see this one again. 

• Like 1