Joe Bullet (1971) - Previously Banned South African Action Movie Finally Released!

One Armed Boxer

One Armed Boxer

In an interesting piece of cinema history, the Durban International Film Festival will be screening 'Joe Bullet' as part of the Gravel Road film restoration project. The story of a mysterious gangster who plans to sabotage the local soccer team in an attempt to prevent them from winning the championship, only Joe Bullet has what it takes to save the day.

The movie was the first South African production to feature an all-African cast, made in 1971 it was independently screened a couple of years later, however was banned after only 2 screenings by the Apartheid government. Now, over 40 years later, it's finally getting a restored release. Check out the trailer below -

J3S-nxLoqkA

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Looks good! I recognize the lead actor Ken Gampu- he played the fighter "Gorilla" in KILL AND KILL AGAIN (1981), and was the President in THE GODS MUST BE CRAZY (1980). I know I've seen him in other stuff too. It'll be nice to see him as the lead in a film for a change. Like that theme song too. :nerd:

OpiumKungFuCracker

It makes you wonder, how many movies out there that are just like this, shelved and collecting dust until a festival programmer picks it up. My guess is there is lots of them and I won't be able to see them all.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
It makes you wonder, how many movies out there that are just like this, shelved and collecting dust until a festival programmer picks it up. My guess is there is lots of them and I won't be able to see them all.

Yeah, that's nuts isn't it? I never even heard of this one before.

I envy my son getting tons of cool old flicks handed to him (by yours truly) that are all completely new to him. Like MS. 45, EL TOPO, THE TOXIC AVENGER, WAGES OF FEAR... He's got five lifetimes of movies to choose from here. For us older dudes it's few and far between on the "never heard of it" stuff.

I know what you mean KFB. Recently, I decided to take a chance and show my son (who turns 7 next week) the PG-rated installments of the POLICE ACADEMY series and now, he's so into them that he wakes up humming the famous theme song every day.

JOE BULLET looks quite good. The last movie I saw Ken Gampu in was the Kevin Bacon film THE AIR UP THERE. He played an African elder. He had quite an impressive resume for action fans (AMERICAN NINJA 4, CYBORG COP 2, LETHAL NINJA and of course KILL AND KILL AGAIN). Sad it's been over 10 years since his passing. JOE BULLET will be a good way to keep his legacy alive :)

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

I didn't know he had passed away. What a shame he didn't get to see it's resurrection. :squigglemouth:

Archived