Did Shaw Brothers or Celestial ever pay for stolen music?

NoKUNGFUforYU

NoKUNGFUforYU

I am curious, especially with them going into international markets, did they ever finally have to pay royalties for all the John Barry and Ennio Morricone music that they stole and put on their movies? I would think at a certain point it would get back to those two, and John Barry was English, and HK was under English rule.............?

Skeleton Claw

Years ago I might have said "hell no, they didn't pay for that stuff". Though after seeing the liner notes on that DeWolfe Kung Fu Super Sounds comp where you can actually see that they kept an itemized record for each DeWolfe library track they used for each film, even breaking it down to what time in the film it was used, I've given it more thought.

I know that Peter Bogdanovich licensed the soundtrack for Goldfinger from the Bond people for Saint Jack but then ended up getting sued by them anyway because of it's use during a scene where a couple of trannies are doing a strip tease (apparently they didn't approve).

Hard to say, but I'm willing to bet that if they were covering their bases for DeWolfe like that, then maybe they paid some kind of blanket royalty fee that would cover the other stuff... but maybe only in certain territories, which is why you have different versions of the same film using different music.

• Like 1

Cognoscente

It reminds me of American films where the theatrical version of a film might have some songs that would cause huge royalty issues if they were allowed to be heard again in the TV or home release versions.

• Like 2