Blood and Steel (dated 19/12/72) Script PDF

Karlos

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some notes (after a quick read; I’m sure there’s more):

• OKATA becomes O’HARA.

• KHAN becomes HAN (literally - on page 60 or thereabouts.)

• Han’s death is vastly different.

• We get to see what’s on the banquet’s menu!

• A lot more of Tania – who’s genuinely a villain in this draft.

• No sign of Roper being killed off rather than Williams.

• Braithwaite’s introduction is much longer (this is in the novelisation).

• Braithwaite’s organisation is called F.A.D.E.

• Pretty much all of Lee’s dialogue in this draft was re-written by the time it was filmed (by Bruce himself?).

• “Old Man” has more screen time – but still no clarification of what his relationship to Lee actually is.

In general, the content and structure in this revised draft is what we got on the screen.

The most significant rewrites appear to be the additions of both the monk scene and the opening Sammo fight (this draft opens with Roper’s and Williams’ flashbacks).

It’s easy to assume these were added by Bruce himself.

Also, Han’s death – almost certainly changed by Bruce during filming.

“This scene will be choreographed by Mr Bruce Lee”. :bigsmile:

I wonder if this draft – or perhaps the one before - is the one that has been referred to as “racist”, as 99% of Lee’s dialogue in this is a sort of sub-Confucius cod philosophising.

My theory is, Bruce took the script, tightened it up, added some extra fights, and almost totally overhauled his character's dialogue.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
I wonder if this draft – or perhaps the one before - is the one that has been referred to as “racist”, as 99% of Lee’s dialogue in this is a sort of sub-Confucius cod philosophising.

My theory is, Bruce took the script, tightened it up, added some extra fights, and almost totally overhauled his character's dialogue.

That sounds right.

I know that after principal filming was completed Bruce went back and filmed the Sammo fight. That's why he looks so much different- thinner- during this scene than in the rest of the film. I recall reading that Bruce felt it took too long to get to the action, so he created this (much beloved) scene to start of the film with a bang.

You see Lee deliver a couple of the lines from this script in Game of Death 2.

In a missing scene with Old Man.

"Would you like to read it before I send it off?"

This is in reference to Lee's book which Han leaves for him in his room on the Island.

The other is in the deleted scene with Mai Ling. We see Lee look exasperated before saying,

"Roper and Williams will join us."

Mai Ling then informs him Williams is missing and Roper has joined Han. We then see Lee look intense and angry at the news. This is why Lee stares daggers at Roper on the tournament field, prior to the latter fighting Bolo.

So cool, wish we had all that stuff in the movie. More of a brotherhood feel between the three.

@DragonClawsgood question! 

I've never seen any other draft on the  net, but certainly other drafts  may well be out there.

There was a draft for sale via mail  order, for example, in the 90s which  could've been a different one.

EDIT: so, it appears I myself have asked the same question!:

https://www.36styles.com/kungfufandom/index.php?/topic/9807-enter-the-dragonblood-and-steel-script

My memory really is terrible!

Note the link to the other script is now dead.

Pup From The North

There is no question that Bruce was in full control of anything that related to him. And indeed, anything else that he would of felt impacted the film overall. Whatever anyone come up with, I'm sure it would still only happen if Bruce agreed to it also. The only reason it was called Enter The Dragon in the first place is because of him! When Bruce wasn't happy, he made it clear that he was willing to walk. And Linda made it clear to Weintraub and co that Bruce was not bluffing.

On 4/11/2020 at 6:28 PM, Habbs said:

Hi. I'm new here. Could someone send me the link for this screenplay as it does not work anymore? Thank you!

Were you able to download and view the PDF posted by @Karlos? Let us know if you are having any issues. 

Welcome to the forum!

Archived