Brotherhood of Blades (2014)

One Armed Boxer

One Armed Boxer

Director Lu Yang will be unleashing his wuxia styled tale on domestic shores in August, with hopefully a US release not too far off in the future. Starring Chang Chen, most famous for his role in 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon', the plot concerns 3 Jinyiwei guards who are close friends, that are dispatched to hunt down a corrupt eunuch. However after completing their mission, they discover they've been used as pawns in part of a bigger conspiracy.

Check out the teaser trailer below -

TVYiYtdNE-M

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Drunken Monk

Nice post. This actually looks really good and I'm excited to give it a watch. We've had a lot of promising wuxia films turn out underwhelming recently ("The Four," "Detective Dee" etc.) so I'm hoping this one is actually pretty good.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

Brotherhood of Blades was released August 7, 2014.

Has anyone seen it yet?

Brotherhood-of-Blades-2014-4.jpg

Fq6meXcDfr8

Gd Y-Y

I don't know what this was. Movie made less sense as it went along. Felt like they were making it up as it went along. Started off interesting. Reminded me of Batman Begins in this way: camera was still and captured the goings on. When action started, it was a mess of mtv quick cuts, jump cuts, camera shaking, hyper editing, camera way too close and shots of stuff to make it seem like its manic. There's very little actual chor ever shown and when it is, primarily at the end, its generic.

This could have been a cool picture in the right hands during the right era. Theese days, these directors make everything heavyhanded and completely f up the action because they don't really care about the action. These ADs suck because they are trying oh so hard, so hard to make some-thing and they just won't choreograph a f'ing fight.

This low profile swordsplay-flick is clearly no serious challenger to the genre favorites but for what it's worth it's not bad, either. The story is quite interesting, too bad it's not similarily well told. Especially the beginning is confusing but I guess that's a regular experience when watching wuxia-movies. On the bright side the movie looks good, the actors are capable and the action was solid. Not much flying here, but very well edited, grounded sword fights with a certain anime flavour in the details.

From the looks the movie seems to be made for 3D but it works fine in 2D as well.

Well Go USA is releasing the DVD and Blu-Ray on February 10. I just got my advanced copy of the BD yesterday and will be watching it today after I get out of work :)

I just posted a review for Brotherhood of Blades:

http://www.cityonfire.com/brotherhood-of-blades-2014-review/

Considering Kyle usually gives a good movie a 6/10, his score for this one (8/10) has definitely caught my interest.

So far, the majority of reviews have been positive. Now, let's see if Albert's review continues this streak!

One Armed Boxer
I just posted a review for Brotherhood of Blades:

http://www.cityonfire.com/brotherhood-of-blades-2014-review/

Considering Kyle usually gives a good movie a 6/10, his score for this one (8/10) has definitely caught my interest.

So far, the majority of reviews have been positive. Now, let's see if Albert's review continues this streak!

Great review, it looks like this one is definitely worth a rental.

I felt the movie had a good premise and cast, but the slow pacing padding out many non-action scenes killed my enjoyment. There was a good banquet scene where the slow pacing built tension. That wasn't the case for me with much of the rest of the film.

Maybe I'm just easy to please but I loved this movie. I'm a sucker for a decent Ming Dynasty flick. This also makes for a great double feature along with "14 Blades". Another Ming Dynasty martial arts film dealing with the Jinyiwei taking on a traitorous Eunuch. 

I've owned this film since it got a DVD release and I have never actually watched it. Now the sequel's out, I might have to give it a look.

Archived