Predator Remake / Reboot

Keung

Now that John McTiernan has been released from prison, why not just bring him back to direct this?

Because Shane Black is flipping awesome! It's like when comic book nerds discuss their dream runs on comics. "I wish Matt Fraction would do a Spider-Man run" or "Give Brubaker another Batman run". Same thing. A Shane Black Predator movie, only in my dreams...or so I thought.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thomas Jane has joined the cast alongside lead Boyd Holbrook (who plays Donald Pierce in the upcoming Logan), Keegan Michael KeySterling K. BrownOlivia Munn, and Trevante Rhodes. I think Black said this would follow Predator 2 and would revolve around alien hunters who are also ex-Marines. 

http://www.darkhorizons.com/thomas-jane-joins-the-predator-reboot/

Black recently confirmed that it's going to be R-rated! Now the other question: Will this have practical effects/actors in Predator costumes or be CGI-filled like the last movie?

While Shane Black confirmed it's a "re-start", it does act as a third official entry of sorts because it was revealed that Jake Busey is playing the son of his father Gary Busey's character in Predator 2. The young Busey said this:

“Shane Black called me and he said ‘Hey, you wanna do this movie? We don’t have money for you but it’ll be a fun thing to come play and be your father’s son.’ And so as much as I have followed in my Dad’s footsteps career-wise, this is like really following in his footsteps by playing a character who is the son of the character he played. And I don’t think there would be any other forum where I would do that. I think this is the one thing.

We shot it up in Vancouver, and they were there doing it for about three or four months, but I was up there for three weeks. I play a scientist in the film, and I’m very excited about it. I think it’s going to be great. If you liked the very first movie a lot, you’ll really like this one. This one has a lot of essence of the first movie.”

Positives:

- Predator suit in use!!!

- Setting alternates between forest and town

- Real explosions, muzzle flashes 

- Good-looking cinematography

- No sign (yet) of overdone CGI

Negatives:

- Story seems kinda lame (kid who accidentally digs up predator airship remote control causing airship to land on Earth?!)

- Random actors

DragonClaws

Love the visual look of the whole thing, and I trust Shane Black's skills enough to overlook any gripes.

It was a shame to hear they opted out of using Arnie, but part of me was relieved too, as he's too old for the role.

That said, it would have been nice to see him have a cameo. Have the characters in the new story, approach him for some advice on how to deal with the creature. Or have them visit him in some goverment sanctioned mental health hospital, where he's been telling the Dr's for years about the giant ugly lizard in the jungle.

Drunken Monk

The story really does seem terrible but everything else looked really good. I'm kind of okay with the cast, weirdly. I thought it would need a big name but hey, maybe Olivia Munn is big enough! I hope it has Black's trademark quips and solid jokes.
The action looks mostly practical which also excites me. I'm super on board for this.

Just seen the trailer and to me it looks a little uninteresting and dull,hope I’m wrong.

Saw this last night and had a pretty good time:

The Predator (USA, 2018) [DCP] - 3/5
This feels like something scripted by two Predator loving kids in the late 80s or early 90s throwing "You know what'd be cool?" and "What if?" ideas at each other - in a good way. Messy but fun sci-fi action has great monster design, a decent "predator squad" (including a dude telling constant shitty jokes!) and more humour than before. Very Shane Black, closer to The Nice Guys than Predator (1987) in some ways. On the negative side the poorly edited action is utterly mediocre and the locale (small town) is not well utilized like the jungle or the L.A. concrete jungle in the first two films.

I love the Predator franchise but I'm sorry to say that I will not be watching this film for a second time. I found this to be very disappointing. I had many problems with the film, most noteworthy is all the humor. There was way too much of it. Everybody's a smart-ass. This movie was too laid back, too relaxed. It lacked the dark mood, intensity and sense of impending danger that has made the Predator movies great to watch. It seems nothing was taken seriously here. The formula used to make this film is pretty much the same one used with movies based on comic books particularly from Marvel, but it just does not work here. The cast choices were uneven at best. I had a hard time finding any of them likable or convincing in their roles. At this point I would've loved it if the Predators had slaughtered the entire cast and left no one alive. I wish I could get the 107 minutes of my life that I wasted back from watching it and the money I spent but once again with new movies, I gambled and lost...

16 hours ago, Shaolivevil said:

I love the Predator franchise but I'm sorry to say that I will not be watching this film for a second time. I found this to be very disappointing. I had many problems with the film, most noteworthy is all the humor. There was way too much of it. Everybody's a smart-ass. This movie was too laid back, too relaxed. It lacked the dark mood, intensity and sense of impending danger that has made the Predator movies great to watch. It seems nothing was taken seriously here. The formula used to make this film is pretty much the same one used with movies based on comic books particularly from Marvel, but it just does not work here. The cast choices were uneven at best. I had a hard time finding any of them likable or convincing in their roles. At this point I would've loved it if the Predators had slaughtered the entire cast and left no one alive. I wish I could get the 107 minutes of my life that I wasted back from watching it and the money I spent but once again with new movies, I gambled and lost...

I figured this was going to be the case. 

On 9/16/2018 at 11:22 PM, Shaolivevil said:

The formula used to make this film is pretty much the same one used with movies based on comic books particularly from Marvel,

Disney have also injected this same style of humour into the Star Wars films, to the point where parts of The Last Jedi felt more like a paraody.

Cool to hear othrs opinions on this, but I'll still be watching this at somepoint.

2 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Disney have also injected this same style of humour into the Star Wars films, to the point where parts of The Last Jedi felt more like a paraody.

Exactly. After The Last Jedi, I am done with any future Star Wars movies...

Disappointing. Average action and quite dull storyline, it started well but soon went downhill. It`s unfortunate thing to say best thing in flick was Olivia Munn, she was enjoyable to look at and not bad actor...Rest of cast were more or less dire...I agree to shaol...this is definitely film not to watch 2nd time, 1 was enough.

Still last minutes suggest strongly there will be sequel and guess that is sort of must see also like this was.

Wish instead of this producers would have decided to follow Predators which was actually good flick.

I actually saw this in the cinema and forgot to post my opinions on here. Long story short: worst film of the year.

By the time it had gotten tot the “Predator dog” nonsense, I was done entirely. I can’t believe Shane Black directed this nightmare.

Archived