Predator Remake / Reboot

Keung

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wait, Shane Black's being put in charge of a Predator movie? That's "dream-come-true" territory for me, so surely this must be an elaborate prank, as I never get what I want. I wonder if my kid brother put them up to this...

Secret Executioner

Shane Black... The same guy who butt-raped the Mandarin with the horrendous Iron Man 3 ?

Why do I have a bad feeling about this now ?

Shane Black... The same guy who butt-raped the Mandarin with the horrendous Iron Man 3 ?

Why do I have a bad feeling about this now ?

The guy does one thing wrong and the world forgets the rest of his filmography.

Secret Executioner
The guy does one thing wrong and the world forgets the rest of his filmography.

TBH, Iron Man 3 is the ONLY one of his movies I've seen.

Drunken Monk

Shane Black directing a new "Predator" movie is some of the most exciting news to come out of Hollywood in a long time. Especially news regarding a sequel/reboot.

The man is fantastic, with one of the most consistent filmographies ever. I'm really looking forward to this one as, so far, I don't think he's set a foot wrong.

OpiumKungFuCracker

I've already seen it when it was called, Predators with RRodriguez. I'm done with this franchise.

I've already seen it when it was called, Predators with RRodriguez. I'm done with this franchise.

One thing I've learned is to never say you are done with a franchise because you never know what will happen. In the right hands, anything can get turned around. Look at Rise/Dawn of the POTA after the 2001 "re-imagining". Man of Steel after Superman Returns. Something good just may come out of this.

And I LOVED Iron Man 3 btw. Can't wait.

Drunken Monk

I actually think it's been a good franchise. The first two films are both great, "Predators" wasn't too shabby and even "Alien vs Predator: Requiem" can be forgiven if you watch it for a bit of violent fun.

Granted, the first "Alien vs Predator" film was a pile of shit, but I don't think it's been too shabby as far as franchises go and, besides, Shane Black is a flawless human being!

froffeecoffee
A sequel to which film though?

Only announcement is that it's a sequel. I don't think it has to be a direct sequel to any of the previous installments. But it will be nice just to have a great Predator story that expands the mythology.

Shane Black directing a new "Predator" movie is some of the most exciting news to come out of Hollywood in a long time. Especially news regarding a sequel/reboot.

The man is fantastic, with one of the most consistent filmographies ever. I'm really looking forward to this one as, so far, I don't think he's set a foot wrong.

I agree. He's one of my idols. I mean, that dude can write a mean movie. And now we know what happens when he's put in charge of directing one of his own stories. If there was a Mt. Rushmore of action directors, he'd be up there, just for his writing credits. Naysayers be damned, I loved Iron Man 3.

Drunken Monk
I agree. He's one of my idols. I mean, that dude can write a mean movie. And now we know what happens when he's put in charge of directing one of his own stories. If there was a Mt. Rushmore of action directors, he'd be up there, just for his writing credits. Naysayers be damned, I loved Iron Man 3.

"Iron Man 3" was solid. Despite it's "That's not how it is in the comics!" hiccups, it was stylish, well written and had some really great acting. I genuinely liked it.

Hell, this new "Predator" film could just be Robert Downey Jr. and Val Kilmer in the jungle and I'd be over the moon.

"Iron Man 3" was solid. Despite it's "That's not how it is in the comics!" hiccups, it was stylish, well written and had some really great acting. I genuinely liked it.

Hell, this new "Predator" film could just be Robert Downey Jr. and Val Kilmer in the jungle and I'd be over the moon.

I would too! If Downey's cast as the lead, which isn't likely, I'll shit my pants in excitement. Downey could be the Chow Yun-Fat to Black's Woo, the De Niro to his Scorsese. He's getting a little up there in age to do too many more action roles, but his delivery of Black's dialogue is pitch-perfect.

With Iron Man 3, I loved the pacing, not just of the movie as a whole, but of the action scenes, too. The bit in the diner was a doozy and the finale was excellent. I loved watching Tony kick ass without his armor, the dialogue was fantastic (it is a Shane Black movie, after all), and it actually gave Cheadle a chance to shine as Rhodes. I thought it was a blast from beginning to end, personally. So I'm expecting good- nay, great things from this movie.

OpiumKungFuCracker

Hold up you guys? Are we going to pretend the filmmakers completely shit all over the fans with the changing of the Mandarin? That was a big NO/NO in my book!

Drunken Monk
Hold up you guys? Are we going to pretend the filmmakers completely shit all over the fans with the changing of the Mandarin? That was a big NO/NO in my book!

I grew up reading Iron Man comics and I wanted nothing more than the Mandarin to be depicted as he was in print, but did Shane Black's choice ruin the entire movie? I don't think so.

It was dumb and the worst thing about the film, but, all in all, "Iron Man 3" is enjoyable and, hey, that's just how Black is. He goes for dark comedy a lot.

I did not find any shit on me. I judge a movie by how it is as a movie; how it advances the character arcs and the overall story, and how good the dialogue and action scenes are. As a movie, Iron Man 3 kicked ass.

OpiumKungFuCracker
I grew up reading Iron Man comics and I wanted nothing more than the Mandarin to be depicted as he was in print, but did Shane Black's choice ruin the entire movie? I don't think so.

It was dumb and the worst thing about the film, but, all in all, "Iron Man 3" is enjoyable and, hey, that's just how Black is. He goes for dark comedy a lot.

I did not find any shit on me. I judge a movie by how it is as a movie; how it advances the character arcs and the overall story, and how good the dialogue and action scenes are. As a movie, Iron Man 3 kicked ass.

If I can do without the Mandarin in IM3, I probably would have loved it a lot more. It's an enjoyable action movie but I don't think I need to see the movie again though and it's certainly hell of a lot better than IM2.

Secret Executioner

The action is great in IM3 (the climax with all the armors - if you can sit through what comes before - is a great payoff). But:

- characters: Tony goes from being depressed and suffering from a trauma due to the events of Avengers to making stupid jokes (schizophrenia much ?), the villain is yet another mad scientist. The kid ? Annoying and useless as hell. And honestly, unti the big fuck up that is the revelation of the Mandarin (it's like making the Joker a circus clown, which they should do in the next Batman movie cause it would be some damn funny dark comedy and that's what Joker's all about), he was a really intimidating villain.

- story: it starts off pretty nice, but it gets really slow after Stark's house is attacked and everyone believes him to be dead (BTW, thanks other Avengers for NOT stepping in - I'm sure the Justice League wouldn't do anything if a key member was to be killed or presumed gone). Also, you get plotholes the size of the Hulkbuster (nobody but Stark can wear his armors, except Rhodes who could steal one in IM2 and Pepper who was seen in one during the attack on Stark's house).

Also, it's widely known that Stark is Iron Man and yet, nobody has thought of taking him down by attacking his house until that moron gave his home address in the media... But I guess he is a nobody and there's no way to find informations on people nowadays, huh ?

- characters: Tony goes from being depressed and suffering from a trauma due to the events of Avengers to making stupid jokes (schizophrenia much ?)

I think that's the point. He is trying to act "normal" with the quips and such, but deep down he is not facing his anxiety.

The kid ? Annoying and useless as hell.

The point of the kid and the whole town stuff was to help Tony get back to basics. It was all about using his wits and creativity again to build/rebuild his stuff and who he is without the suit.

And honestly, unti the big fuck up that is the revelation of the Mandarin (it's like making the Joker a circus clown, which they should do in the next Batman movie cause it would be some damn funny dark comedy and that's what Joker's all about), he was a really intimidating villain.

You know I haven't listened to the audio commentary yet, apparently it's supposed to be really enlightening in regards to the choices they made here. I believe the point of the Mandarin twist was about Tony. The Mandarin was a false image. The parallel here is that Tony is hiding behind all his gadgets and iron man suits. They are also a false image. This is why he made the choice at the end of the movie to, in a sense, remove the false image in himself and be Tony again.

Also, it's widely known that Stark is Iron Man and yet, nobody has thought of taking him down by attacking his house until that moron gave his home address in the media... But I guess he is a nobody and there's no way to find informations on people nowadays, huh ?

Why is this moronic? I thought it was a very in-character thing to say. And I'm pretty sure people know where he lives anyway. It's a giant fortress overlooking the ocean. Hard to miss.

OpiumKungFuCracker

Did anyone liked Predators? I liked it better than the Alien vs predators movies. The Yakuza guy was awesome.

Secret Executioner
Did anyone liked Predators? I liked it better than the Alien vs predators movies. The Yakuza guy was awesome.

Afraid to say I haven't seen any movie from the franchise nor the crossovers with the Alien franchise. :squigglemouth:

Now that John McTiernan has been released from prison, why not just bring him back to direct this?

Archived