Donnie Yen's worst films

Every MA actor gets his/her bad moments in their respective careers, and it's not very often we get to list bad films from Hong Kong's current heavy-weight champion. It would be nice to see what you guys have in mind.

The Holy Virgin vs the Evil Dead

Crystal Hunt

Heroes Among Heroes

Circus Kids

The Saint of Gamblers

Iron Monkey 2

Shanghai Affairs

City of Darkness

Highlander: Endgame

The Twins Effect 2

Iceman

Most of his movies I do not care for. Have not seen them all but have seen a good majority. But, the worst piece of drab that I have ever seen was Iron Monkey 2. Just absolute junk.

• Like 1

ShaOW!linDude

Personally I don't think Circus Kids, Crystal Hunt, or Shanghai Affairs belong on his "worst films" list.

• Like 3

Drunken Monk

I consider myself lucky as I haven't see many of Donnie's worst films. I have, however, seen "Iron Monkey 2" and it's an absolute fucking nightmare.

• Like 1

As great as Donnie is, he's been in his fair share of stinkers.

High Voltage

Legend of the Fist

Hero amongst heroes

Iron Monkey 2

Shanghai affairs

Personally I don't think Circus Kids, Crystal Hunt, or Shanghai Affairs belong on his "worst films" list.

They may have good action but as mere films I would say they're pretty bad, especially the first two films.

ShaOW!linDude
They may have good action but as mere films I would say they're pretty bad, especially the first two films.

Well, I'd have to agree with you on that.:wink:

Morgoth Bauglir

Crystal hunt doesn't have a good story but there's too many great fights for me to consider it a bad movie.

High Voltage is the worst I've seen.

• Like 1

I would not class Twin Effects 2 and Highlander: Endgame as Donnie Yen films but he only has a cameo role in those movies. Although I quite like his fight scene in Highlander: Endgame.

• Like 1

One Armed Boxer

I think Donnie Yen is a unique case were, when he makes a good movie, it's usually so good that it instantly erases the memory of a bunch of his crap movies.

Has he done a lot of crap? Definitely, and he continues to churn out a fair few clunkers. But I think there's no doubt that when Donnie hits the mark, even if it's only once every few years, he hits it 110%.

• Like 2

blue_skies

Yen has made so many bad movies, which is kind of sad given his talent. I know he's just about the biggest thing in Hong Kong these days. But for my money as good as the newer movies production values etc are, I don't feel he has that many true classics or even very good movies.

• Like 1

Action is one thing while everything else in movies is another. Restricted to just action it's safe to say that Yen has displayed his talent greatly in many films, regardless if good or bad. That's a normal feat for action actors though which this thread isn't about.

80% of his work :tinysmile_angry2_t:

I concur

although a fair amount of the crap does have at least one great fight to watch

which leads me to adding Mismatched Couples to the list, no one could make me suffer through that film again

& to stir the pot I'll also chuck in the monkey king with Donnies excruciating overacting only overshadowed by its hacked up story & amazingly overpriced CGI

I can't imagine any other way Donnie could've pulled off his performance as Sun Wukong. It's a monkey-like character so it makes sense for the role to be overly acted out and is very different from the likes of Stephen Chow and Jet Li. That's the beauty of method acting.

Drunken Monk

I think Donnie Yen's performance was the only good thing about "The Monkey King." He pulled off the character really well.

• Like 1

Doctor Schnabel von Rom

I wached 41 donnie yen movies and only a few i didn't like or were average

The Monkey King = many poitns i didn't like, see the monkey king theard. will not stay in my collection

An Empress and the Warriors - was bad and borning. sold the dvd.

Hero - not a movie i like, not my taste. sold the director's cut version.

blade 2 - good film, but bad role for him.

Iron Monkey 2 - very cheap compared to part one.

One Armed Boxer

Calling 'The Saint of Gamblers' a Donnie Yen movie is a bit of a stretch. He has an action cameo but otherwise it's a typical entry into Wong Jing's extended 'God of Gamblers' universe, full of the usual zany hijinks and broad comedy. For the time Yen was onscreen though, he certainly didn't do himself a disservice.  I recently gave it the full review treatment over at COF - 

https://cityonfire.com/the-saint-of-gamblers-1995-review/

• Like 2

I've totally forgot about this thread... Good thing you brought it up again.

I'll take back Holy Virgin vs the Evil DeadCrystal HuntHeroes Among Heroes, and Shanghai Affairs. In addition to my updated list, his worst movies... The Last ConvictCheetah on FireSatan ReturnPainted SkinCrouching Tiger Hidden Dragon: Sword of Destiny, and Iceman: The Time Traveller.

Edited by DiP
  • Like 1

Of the ones I've seen:

Holy Virgin vs. the Evil Dead
The Monkey King
Painted Skin

Circus Kids comes close because of the disappointing throwdown between Donnie and Yuen Biao.

• Like 1

TibetanWhiteCrane

Some of y'all are clearly drunk.... Holy Virgin VS Evil Dead is a rocking good times at the movies. Pure fun.

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

One Armed Boxer
8 minutes ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

Some of y'all are clearly drunk.... Holy Virgin VS Evil Dead is a rocking good times at the movies. Pure fun.

Agreed, and it's a legitimate Yen flicks as well unlike some of the productions mentioned here!

Speaking of which, how on earth has nobody mentioned the atrocious 'Special ID'!?

• Like 1

TibetanWhiteCrane
4 minutes ago, One Armed Boxer said:

Speaking of which, how on earth has nobody mentioned the atrocious 'Special ID'!?

I think the two or three good fights of Special ID saves it from the shitlist in many people's eyes. 

• Like 1