A Better Tomorrow 4k Blu Ray release

froffeecoffee

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Something tells me that they will screw it up in other departments. Other than this nit-pick, I'm can't wait to see the results!

Original mono would be nice also, and not the screwed up 5.1 with new added sound effects..:neutral:

Uncut/extended cuts/deleted scenes (if existent), an original soundtrack, 100% accurate subtitles, good video quality (no altered colors, added effects etc), and extra material: that's all I want.

Original mono would be nice also, and not the screwed up 5.1 with new added sound effects..:neutral:

Many years ago, the first Hong Kong DVD I bought was the original pressing of ABT that had the "new" soundtrack featuring stuff from Terminator 2. And it was only 50 dollars!

I'd like a great version of the movie, but honestly I've been underwhelmed by most Blu-ray versions of HK films, so I'm not really holding my breath. Also, wouldn't you need a 4K TV to see it in full resolution?

100% accurate subtitles

Just as a small (general, not necesarily ABT related) note, I don't think it's possible to do 100% accurate subtitles - at least without making them nonsensical.

The thing is, in different languages you have tons of expressions that simply don't exist in other languages. Furthermore, communication is always tied to culture, meaning in different languages you express certain things (e.g. things related to status, politeness, small talk etc.) for cultural reasons that would never be mentioned in a another language because the same cultural context simply doesn't exist and would not be understood by anyone who hasn't carefully studied that specific culture.

I don't think the translator's job is to be 100% accurate, but to try to convey the meanings in ways that can be understood by the readers of the subtitles.

This is the difficulty in translating. If you try to be very accurate, you end up with nonsensical English. If you take many liberties, the original meaning is lost.

I don't speak Cantonese, but I would guess that many of the clumsy and nonsensical subtitles you see on older HK DVDs aren't so much a result of the translator's poor English, but his (amateurish) attempts to stay too true to the original dialogue.

Archived